Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New v8.302 software available for x20/x30 models, AND ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New v8.302 software available for x20/x30 models, AND ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: TomTom Disfunctionality - Again Reply with quote

Eagle15 wrote:
Anyone tried to 'Operate my Go' using Home yet?
Mine doesn't work. Says the functionality isn't available.

Yep! They have done it again and released an "update" not fully configured. It does not occur to TomTom that this sort of practice generates intense frustration. The question is "do they care"? The answer is "not at all" otherwise they would not do it.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Did 275 miles with the new software last night. Generally it seems to have addressed most of the issues.

I did a reset before leaving to be sure I was starting with a blank canvas. I had a few podcasts I wanted to listen to so had the FM transmitter running too. One junction I always got a stutter at was the roundabout leaving the A1 and joining the M18 and it didn't hick at all.

All in all worked fine throughout the journey. I had USB power applied so no idea if running on battery has any implications.

It would also seem that the hicking of MP3 playback when issuing commands has gone now although I was listing to voice podcasts so it isn't as apparent. However I'm pretty sure it was all smooth.

I still have the irritating (but not life threatening) issue that after an ALG screen I seem to be 800yds to the left in a field for about 2 seconds but that's always been there for me.

Also still have the fixed volume issue in the jukebox with a useless slider which still annoys me as it's sloppy programming.

The same journey last week had me cursing and resetting all the way but it seems that at least we're somewhere near where we should have been several months ago. I wouldn't say I'd like to thank Tom Tom as this is well overdue but at least it's a step in the right direction and might prevent me from throwing the toys out of the pram on here quite as much.
Holux GPSslim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:

Also still have the fixed volume issue in the jukebox with a useless slider which still annoys me as it's sloppy programming.

Hi Jimbo, me again Laughing
I know we've been here loads of times, but just in case anyone else is confused...

TT have decided to fix the feed to the FM output at maximum level so if you use FM, the volume slider on the Jukebox page appears to do nothing.

However, that is a standard screen, and the slider is just a duplicate of the MAIN volume slider, so it still affects the navigation voice level.

If you are using some of the other outputs for the music (set miles away in "Speaker Preferences") then the slider DOES still have an effect.

In detail, if you have the navigation directions on the internal speaker, here is what happens with music routed to the various outputs in Speaker preferences:

Internal speaker - Volume slider affects BOTH nav. directions and music
Bluetooth audio - Volume slider affects BOTH nav. directions and music
Line out socket - Volume slider ONLY affects nav. directions - (DAFT if you want to listen to music on headphones when not driving - it blasts your head off!)
FM transmitter - Volume slider ONLY affects nav. directions - (on Jimbo Hippo's radio, this makes the FM distort badly.)

Other notes:
1. The music still goes to the line out (at full volume!) when it is selected to FM or Bluetooth, but not when set to internal speaker.
2. The music defaults back to the internal speaker whenever the Bluetooth connection is lost (i.e. whenever you turn the engine off in my car!)
3. The music ALWAYS pauses for nav. directions, except on Bluetooth where it is a user-setting whether to pause or not. Why it can't be an option on the other outputs is a mystery.

It's a mess....
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Andy. My version is somewhat simplified and your info is spot on. And yes it is a mess. It still gives the impression that it adjusts the Jukebox volume which is why it irks me. It's just a badly thought out method which is (I believe) the result of sloppy programming. Looks like they stilll haven't looked at your rather sweet mock up of how it SHOULD be ! :-)

Regarding the clipping, in my Zafira music is pretty much unplayable unless I normalise it or reduce the gain in a software app which I'm not prepared to do for all my MP3s.

Last night I listened to several podcasts. An American F1 chat which I like a lot. Fighting Talk from the BBC, Johnathon Ross from the BBC and Sany Wotsits News Quiz thingy. All these play fine even when there is a music clip. But then the Chris Moyles Podcast (also from the BBC) clips like hell so it must be a small tweak of gain which 'overdrives' the input to the Zafira stereo.

In the Motorhome I use line in and my wifes 525i has built in satnav so I've never tried it.
Holux GPSslim
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep done about 150 miles and all works wonders for me ,even loaded up a heck of a lot poi show poi's and although it did show signs a lagging it was no where near as bad as before ...did find it was a little slow on round about but again now where near as bad as before
so for me it's a good upgrade Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been out today, but while double checking the various audio outputs for my previous post, I left it looping on a short demo route with some music playing.

I was rather disappointed to find it slowly got worse....

It never stuttered, but I had more and more repeated words - "After four, four, four hundred yards...." and eventually more and more repeated chunks of music at the times when navigation directions sounded too.

And I had such high hopes this time! Crying or Very sad
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't check in for a day and TT go and release an update!

Typical.

Will download and try out with TTS6 as I have a few long journeys tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Andy
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Crashed and keeps rebooting. Reply with quote

DISASTER.

Loaded the new software this morning. Set the 730 to Sheffield from Lancaster. Got there ok. Match postponed so decided to go to another. Tried to set it to go to the next destination and it seemed to take ages. Then it went off and rebooted, and again and again and again....

Couldn't turn it off either. Occasionally it would go on and show where I was but as soon as I tried to navigate anywhere it crashed again.

Tried to reset it but same thing still happens.

Tried to restore it from previous save and that has failed. Now I'm knackered because I'm going to Dagenham on Saturday supposedly...

Any suggestions???
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think maybe running the Clear Flash tool from here may help??
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, but the problem doesn't appear to be any of the ones listed for which that tool would put right...
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what do you have to lose???
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT wrote:
Thanks for that, but the problem doesn't appear to be any of the ones listed for which that tool would put right...

Ignore that... Try it. It has fixed at least one common problem that isn't on their list.

It won't do any harm anyway.

Don't forget that it is very easy to replace the operating system files manually too. So most problems like this are easy to fix.
But ALWAYS backup with Windows Explorer (NOT Home), first.
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've given that a go, (pardon the pun!) but it's still a no go (pardon that pun too!)

Still doesn't want to know if you try and navigate somewhere and just reboots again.
jmfarrell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Lost spoken instructions Reply with quote

I installed 8.302 last night hoping it would fix the audio stutter issue.

On a trip from Cambridge to Watford this morning, all seemed well until approaching J5 on the M1 Southbound (A41 exit for Watford).

Kate spoke the 'A' of "After XX yards ..." but at that moment the ALG image appeared on screen and Kate fell silent.

I didn't get any more spoken instructions after that until rebooting at my destination Crying or Very sad

Anyone else seen this?
Map: Europe West v875.3613
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM, out of interest were you runing on battery or plugged in?
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: