Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Expansys - Bad Experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Expansys - Bad Experience
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard9832
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Expansys - Bad Experience Reply with quote

OK. I ordered a 3979 & a 3450 on the evening of 31st July. Call taken an order placed fine, no problems.

Friday 1st August I get an email asking me to call them.

I phoned them and was asked to confirm my address.

I then get another email asking me to fax a copy of my last credit card bill, and fax a photocopy of the front of my credit card. Now just how many people carry their credit card bill around with them?!

By now I've had enough of being considered a crook and will take my business elsewhere. Order cancelled.

So, Expansys. Glad you can afford to loose a £700 order.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Expansys - Bad Experience Reply with quote

It's an indication of the huge amount of credit card fraud that's perpetrated now.

However, unless you are asking for the order to be delivered to an address other than that of the cardholder then I don't see why they feel it necessary to make the customer jump through so many hoops.

It's a simple process for the retailer to verify that the delivery address is the same as the cardholders adress using servives such as Transax etc.

In your shoes I would have done the same thing.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Darren on 01 August 2003

It's an indication of the huge amount of credit card fraud that's perpetrated now.

However, unless you are asking for the order to be delivered to an address other than that of the cardholder then I don't see why they feel it necessary to make the customer jump through so many hoops.

Here's a tip. If you do regularly ask for stuff to be delivered to your work address, then you can ask your CC company to register that as a second address for your card. It's certainly simplified life for me.

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'd think it more likely that Expansys are following instructions from the organisation that they have their credit card merchant account with.

The line of business that Expansys are in - selling electronic "gadgets" including mobile phones - coupled with them being one of the largest operators in this market will most likely put them at extreme risk of fraudulent transactions. As almost all their business is "Cardholder Not Present", that most likely already puts them in a high risk category so far as suppliers of merchant services go.

If they haven't already done so, it would probably be helpful if they followed Dabs' example and implemented Verified by Visa. Admittedly a lot of Visa issuing organisations in the UK don't yet allow their cardholders to register for Verified by Visa, but some do (including HSBC, my issuer).

My understanding is that merchants using Verified by Visa are offered extra protection against chargebacks.

David
onbashi
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem with expansys when I ordered my 3400, but the difference being that no one emailed me to tell me that my order had not gone through, I recieved a call from my bank asking me lots of questions, finally they believed me, but it still got cancelled and I had to re-order. So what was the point of the phone call?????

This was the only prob i've ever had expansys, generally thier pretty good

Richard9832
Occasional Visitor

I asked for it to go to my home address, so there really should have been no problem.

I've had no problems having things delivered to work from the likes of Solwise, GPSW, Screwfix etc.

Looks like Expansys are being very over cautious !
Ralsters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently ordered a CF Jacket from them with no problems whatsoever. Delivered within 2 days, with no problems with CC payments, though that might be because the order value was quite low.

Graham
iant54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered an iPAQ 5550, CF Card Plus sleeve, a couple of memory cards and a couple of batteries from Expansys a few months back, paying by Switch. Although it was to be delivered to my home address (the registered address for my bank account), as it was my first order, they asked me to fax or e-mail the front and back of my Switch card. I 'phoned and queried it with them, and they assured me that the pictures would be destroyed once they'd been used to verify my identity.

Goods delivered with no problems and no fraudulent or suspicious withdrawals from my account!

I recommend them to anyone and everyone!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent had any problems with expansys at all may the credit card problems as people have said earlier were demanded by there mechant or it was the sums involed £700 is a lot to put on creditcard in one go and may be they we just covering there backs i use expansys regularaly through the year but also with them being about 30 miles away its easier to got to them knowing what i want there very helpful ieven helped them sell a coiple of ipaq while i was there one guy was going to go for the 5450 he asked me what i had isaid 2210 he lets have a look i said the only diffence is wifi and a bigger memnory he ill have 2 of them and went away happy i tried for a discount but he guy couldnt do anything the guy who bought the ipaq was quete shocked when he asked what i do got a couple of jobs out of it for a freind who an o/d Mr. Green Mr. Green

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Hamish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to speak up for Expansys!

Exactly a year ago I ordered an iPAQ 3950 and Navman 3400. I wasn't in when the courier (CityLink) tried to deliver so I went to their depot to pick up the box, only to discover as I carried it to my car (after a 30minute wait in CityLink's reception in a queue) that the box seemed lighter than it should have been.

Guess what was missing out of the box? The iPAQ! Bloody great hole in the side of the box which was facing away from me when I signed for it at the counter.

CityLink didn't want to know when I walked back in 10 seconds later ("You've signed for it and left the premises, sir."). But a call to Expansys (on a Saturday morning) put the facts on record, and a confirmation call from them to me on Monday had a new iPAQ on its way to me straight away. I put the whole story in an e-mail to Expansys to help them with their claim against CityLink; the new iPAQ came by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

I have just received, 24 hours after ordering, a TomTom2 package from Expansys (via Royal Mail) and I'm very very happy!

I guess there will be many good experiences for every bad one, but it's the bad ones which are publicised.

Hamish
Coffeeholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also never had a problem with Expansys. I've used them many times and the service has been first rate. I ordered somethings from them yesterday at 15:15 and they arrived this morning by Royal Mail. :D
ex-psion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: expansys ipaq 2210 and Pretec GPS CF Reply with quote

I ordered my Ipaq and GPS from expansys after a recommendation from someone else. goods arrived on third working day.

But I just couldn't get the pretec to talk to the 2210 or the Tom Tom city map that came with it!!

Expansys support forum patiently took me through various options until they worked out the problem.

Result - very happy customer.

Incidentally I only wanted the city map and GPS to help out with a map when I get lost on business trips around Europe. It turns out that with a power cable the system does a very passable job as a short range sat nav in my car. Pretty neat for such a low budget solution.
Mart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a TomTom Navigator 2 and IPAQ 1940 combo from TotalPDA, they completed screwed up the order and listed each item priced separately including the combo price ! so what should have been about £500 ended up being about £780; after many phone calls and no response to emails it took them about a month to return the excess money taken from my account
White_Fox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only give praise for Expansys
Ordered on Monday, goods arrived Tuesday.
Excellent service AAA+++
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beware of items shown is stock when you order then being out of stock when about to ship.

I ordered various bits including black replacement grips for my 2210 on 4/6/04 (all items were shown with stock - including the grips (5 in stock will ship today)).

Got the delivery - minus the grips which were now shown as out of stock - estimated 3 days - so I waited & waited & waited until today when I cancelled - for the past week they have been estimated 1 day - on the phone expansys thought they would arrive within the next 5 days.

I try never to order out of stock items over the web - now I will be wary of instock items as well. I have ordered approx £700 of items (gps and mobiles etc) from expansys over the past 18 months and will use them in future but I wouldn't advise anyone to rely on their delivery estimates.

On the plus side they are very easy to get through to on the phone and cancelling was hassle free.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: