Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HOME 2.6 Beta Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HOME 2.6 Beta Now Available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: TomTom HOME 2.6 Beta Now Available Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom HOME have now released version 2.6 Beta of their desktop application. This new version has a clean fresh look with re-designed icons and a number of new features. Please note this is a BETA release.

Users who have enabled the option in preferences will be automatically offered this Beta release as an update.

• Link to online Route Planner.
  • New menu icons.
  • Taskbar with direct links to updates, plan a route or find a location (Windows).
  • HOME now shows which TomTom device you have and offers a button to disconnect it (Windows).
  • Easier to get the latest maps by clicking the new Add Maps button.
  • After buying a new map you can now choose Install later.
  • Greek added as a new language.
  • Deselected update items are moved to the bottom of the list and remain deselected until you select them again.
  • Improved account creation and login:
    TomTom HOME now stores all username and password combinations (if auto-login is chosen).
    You can automatically log in with any previously used device.
    You need to fill in fewer fields when creating an account.
    Improved device linking to better explain the process.
  • Fewer steps when using your activation or promotion code.
  • Other improvements:
    Bug fix: TomTom HOME now allows you to log in with e-mail domains of only one character long: e.g. username@a.uk
    It is now easier to install TomTom HOME themes and extensions that are already on your computer

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Extensions in Tools Reply with quote

Response to Andy in the 'moved' thread.....

Last night/early morning you asked

Quote:
Still no counter here...
GeePee, what do you see if you look in Tools/TT Home Extensions?

I still have the status indicator showing, but as disabled.
There is an "enable" and a "uninstall" button, but some bright red text underneath saying "this add-on cannot be used with the version of Home currently installed".

So (of course) I just clicked on "Enable" and it said it had done it successfully

I looked in Tools and found two saved extensions - Map Status in indicator and Tyre - both gave me the option to Disable or Uninstall.

Anyway, you seem to have sorted it to your satisfaction. Subsequently, from what I have read elsewhere, you have now uninstalled it - right?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be one of the lucky ones in having no real issues having downloaded and installed this HOME update to the new Beta edition. Seems to do all it says in the release notes (above).

But then, positive comment usually pales into insignificance against problem comment - we will see.

The new TT Route Planner is not yet available, as when one tries to access it the following is shown:-
Quote:
Quote:
With your MyTomTom account you cannot yet access this part of the website. If you haven't signed up already, please Register for Beta. You will receive an email once your MyTomTom account has been approved

It will be interesting to hear other Forum members views idc
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
With your MyTomTom account you cannot yet access this part of the website. If you haven't signed up already, please Register for Beta. You will receive an email once your MyTomTom account has been approved

It will be interesting to hear other Forum members views idc

It works fine for me as I am already registered for the route planner beta. all you need to do is register for it, assuming it is still open for this.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC TT are opening the Routes Beta to new users in batches so if you cannot register you should re-visit occasionally and retry.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
IIRC TT are opening the Routes Beta to new users in batches so if you cannot register you should re-visit occasionally and retry.

Thanks Darren, I have registered but it said I would hear idc - presumably with the release of HOME update yesterday and the sudden surge of interest, they (TT) have quite a lot of requests to deal with.

Edit: Note, I have just had emails telling me that I now have access to the Route Planner. Smile

Last edited by Gee-Pee on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five minutes ago Rolling Eyes :-

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Tools/Home preferences/Advanced tab/ Beta release preferences, Dennis.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The news release from TT arrived late last night. I have now posted a news item with forum link containing the list of feature updates in this release.

Can I ask you all to continue discussion here.

Makes the continuing discussion on problems a little disjointed....
Couldn't you have added your piece to the topic that started FIRST?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Extensions in Tools Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Response to Andy in the 'moved' thread.....

Last night/early morning you asked

Quote:

So (of course) I just clicked on "Enable" and it said it had done it successfully

Anyway, you seem to have sorted it to your satisfaction. Subsequently, from what I have read elsewhere, you have now uninstalled it - right?

No, it "said" it had installed successfully, but it still didn't show up, so not resolved.

I haven't completely uninstalled it, it is still sitting there.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Darren wrote:
The news release from TT arrived late last night. I have now posted a news item with forum link containing the list of feature updates in this release.

Can I ask you all to continue discussion here.

Makes the continuing discussion on problems a little disjointed....
Couldn't you have added your piece to the topic that started FIRST?

We're too quick for him Wink

Darren, do you think a forum for the new Route Planner would be useful Question Or is just a new thread sufficient.........
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no issues with either the MapShare counter nor accessing the Route Planner web pages.

One disappointing thing about the Route Planner is that you can send the Start location and Destination to your TomTom, but not the route as planned. It says in the FAQ that this is by design, because you may have different maps on your device, so the Route Planner directions may not be the same as those you would get on your machine. Logical, I suppose, but it would be nice to have updated maps that match the web version.

Having said that - I'm still waiting for my updated map via the Update Service Razz
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
One disappointing thing about the Route Planner is that you can send the Start location and Destination to your TomTom, but not the route as planned. It says in the FAQ that this is by design, because you may have different maps on your device

Gosh, you've gotta hand it to TomTom for sheer nerve. Offer you a wonderful online route planner which doesn't work on your device. So you plan it on your PC and think of all the lovely places you'll stop at en route, but then your TT takes you through Llanwern Steelworks or past the Sellafield discharge outlets. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
richard345 wrote:
One disappointing thing about the Route Planner is that you can send the Start location and Destination to your TomTom, but not the route as planned. It says in the FAQ that this is by design, because you may have different maps on your device

Gosh, you've gotta hand it to TomTom for sheer nerve. Offer you a wonderful online route planner which doesn't work on your device. So you plan it on your PC and think of all the lovely places you'll stop at en route, but then your TT takes you through Llanwern Steelworks or past the Sellafield discharge outlets. Rolling Eyes

I'm disappointed that it will not allow you to plan a multi stop route or a route 'Via'. Best it can do is take you from A to B. I'd also like to be able to drag the route from the one offered to an alterntive (as you can do in Autoroute for instance). At first siight it looked good clear mapping and very fast.
I'd like to go via Llanwern Steelworks - I've never been there, but if you recommend it, I might put it on my list. Confused
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I'd like to go via Llanwern Steelworks - I've never been there, but if you recommend it, I might put it on my list. Confused

I was thinking that too. I've worked in a Glass factory, can't be too different.

Perhaps we could get a coach trip together.

Is it a POI on the 815 map? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: