Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40 : TomTom Live - Will You Subscribe After Trial Expires?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40 : TomTom Live - Will You Subscribe After Trial Expires?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

TomTom Live Subscription Trial
I will be continuing with a subscription after the trial expires
57%
 57%  [ 59 ]
I will not be continuing with a subscription after the trial expires
42%
 42%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 102

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: x40 : TomTom Live - Will You Subscribe After Trial Expires? Reply with quote

As many of you early adopters will have already or will shortly be coming towards the end of your 3mth trial of TomTom LIVE Services on the x40 it would be interesting to know how many of you will be continuing with a paid for subscription.

So if you have an x40 please vote.

Last edited by Darren on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Live Traffic is good when it works, but the data is still not good enough to warrant £8 per month IMHO.
The main function Live offers that I find very useful is the Google Search, but again is it worth £96 per year on top of the maps etc - I think the pricing structure needs a very close looking at in the current economic climate - Mike
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too expensive given the mediocrity of the services on offer. If the scamera database was more up to date, the traffic data more reliable AND the quarterly map updates were bundled in, I probably would be happy to pay what they're asking. As it is, it's a tough sell for them, IMO.
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be continuing it in the hope that traffic improves, because I like Google search and the convenience of Weather/Buddies function without a GPRS connection via my phone.
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've renewed for another 3 months, when I'll re-assess if the cost is worth it.

In the last couple of weeks, HD Traffic coverage around West Yorkshire has greatly improved, but there are still phantom roadworks plastered all over Leeds. In over three months it's only routed me around a jam once, but it's getting better at telling me I'm about to hit traffic.

The problem in the last few days of incidents not clearing off the system has actually allowed me to test a few scenarios on my usual routes, and I have a greater understanding of how the system works. There are some very simple coding changes Tom Tom could make to the software to improve the service for it's customers - maybe I'll put those ideas in another thread.

I've found Google Search very useful from time to time; one instance was today when we navigated to an inaccurate POI location (downloaded via Home); 10 seconds tapping into Google Search brought up the correct location. It's certainly worth a quid a month.

Weather, Buddies and QuickGPSFix are of no value to me.

Fuel Prices does have some value to me, at my mileage if I always find a station that is 3p-5p cheaper than the nearest, I would be saving a couple of quid a month; but it has on occasion tempted me "run on empty" for far longer than is comfortable just to get to the cheapest station.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The service clearly has potential but I've had two very basic incidents that I would have expected HD traffic to have highlighted, but failed:

* M1 Closed due to accident, after sitting on the motorway for over 1 hour still HD traffic not showing any details of the incident.

* Long term road closure due to road works near Bristol and included.

I will not be renewing my subscription, I'm waiting for TomTom to provide a discounted subscription such as 12 months for the price of 9 months.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I'd like to see the price at £5 or it should include all the updates to the maps with your device. With Garmin offering their £100 maps for life deal, I think Tomtom should build maps into the subscription
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
With Garmin offering their £100 maps for life deal, I think Tomtom should build maps into the subscription

Drifting OT but no device has a lifespan of more than 5yrs in average terms so TomTom's current map subscription is on a par with Garmin's without the up front committal.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather torn...

On occasions I've found the HDT to be very accurate, however on other occasions it's been non existent and unfortunately the balance is still with the latter.

I still feel it is not providing as much information as it should, and more recently as accurate as RDS/GPRS is right now. For example incidents such as roadworks, lane restrictions and other hazards that are contributing factors to traffic issues, which the RDS/GPRS service is still offering.

And not forgetting the amount of downtime (at least twice a day for me) for a premium service.

Personally, I'd like to see a tier system. Gold, Silver, Bronze or whatever.

Gold = HD Traffic, Google, Fuel, Quickfix, Buddies.
Silver = HD Traffic, Google
Bronze = HD Traffic

Priced £7.99, 5.99, 4.99 accordingly. To maximise subscriptions I think they need to provide more choice.

Completely random thought....In the same way a mapshare change is not cascaded to different types of maps (I've if someone on a UK & ROI submitted a change, someone with a WE map will not receive it) could this also be the case, or something similar, with the traffic data when it is transmitted?
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Drifting OT but no device has a lifespan of more than 5yrs in average terms so TomTom's current map subscription is on a par with Garmin's without the up front committal.

But don't forget the cost of bringing your TT up to date first before using the subscription, which Garmin doesn't require. But yes, they're fairly on par in Europe, tho not in North America. I know. OT
doubledrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:

Completely random thought....In the same way a mapshare change is not cascaded to different types of maps (I've if someone on a UK & ROI submitted a change, someone with a WE map will not receive it) could this also be the case, or something similar, with the traffic data when it is transmitted?

the traffic data comes from mobile phones AFAIK
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubledrat wrote:
the traffic data comes from mobile phones AFAIK

It comes from a variety of sources including public agencies, other x40's and the Vodafone network.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom expect to charge a fixed monthly price, then the consistency of the service needs to be fixed as well at a high level. It is the fact that one day it is ok and on another (seems always at busy times) it won't even update, that will result in me not continuing with live. The other live services are working fine (proving it is purely TomTom's traffic servers that are at fault), but are not worth the monthly fee without the HD traffic. TomTom you have 6 weeks left to sort this out!
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself having only in the last two weeks upgraded from One V1 will continue my subscription.
Previously I subscribed to the traffic service that now costs £29.95 per annum plus data costs which at the time I was on PAYG could be between 50p and £1 depending on time travelling and number of separate routes driven.
I now consider £7.99 per month to be not to higher a price to pay with no data charges on top and the extras that the service provides like Google search.

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the odd glitch, I think HD traffic is living up to its promise. I did my Manchester trip on Friday, and on the way back it was showing 1 min delay in Manchester ahead of me, and I could indeed see it nicely - caused by a lane closure around a corner. And the timing on a problem on the motorway kept fluctuating from 3 mins to 8 mins. When I got to it, it was showing 6 mins, and was very accurate, and caused by a lane closure for roadworks. Better still the southbound carriageway had the line indicating the massive tailback that was sitting there, which has often taken the old system an hour to appear which would not be nice to hit.

Like others, I've found the petrol useful. Best thing was actually finding that the local petrol station was a lot more expensive than at home, so I basically set myself a target to seek along the way, rather than buy the first I found. Google search also been good.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: