Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What device in the future ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What device in the future ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: What device in the future ? Reply with quote

Hi all

Currently using an HP 5700 series travel companion & it is the best navigation device I have used to date. But Hp has discontinued it with no obvious replacement that can run memory map software, it needs windows mobile not CE.

The unit has to have built in Sirf GPS receiver & replaceable battery and at the moment I cannot find any new device that I could replace my HP with that meets these basic needs. Satmap uses proprietry maps & others have built in battery, so whats the future ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, if your PDA is still working fine then I wouldn't bother looking for a replacement at the moment as true PDA devices with integral GPS are becoming a rather rare breed.
The PDA phone units with integral GPS are on the increase, its hard to purchase a PDA phone without a decent GPS receiver built in these days.
They might not be SiRF chipsets but I wouldn't discount a receiver just from the chipset name, there are plenty of other very credible units out there. Whilst you might not want the PDA/ Phone combo there is nothing stopping you from using such a device as a pure PDA without a sim card fitted - Mike
spectric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have much knowledge of these phone PDA things and would imagine they don't have large screens, ie 3.5 inch. Do they run windows mobile so as you could load windows apps like memory map ?

As a backup I have just brought another brand new HP travel companion so I always have something and hopefully something new comes along eventually.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two version of Memory Map that run under Windows Mobile, I use one on an old iPAQ (5500) and the other on a mobile phone (WM6 without touch screen). The version for windows mobile without touch screen (called smartphone) is very limited compared to the other version (Pocket PC) in that you cannot plot routes, record tracks and it really does not do much more than show your current position on a map. So make sure you get a device with a touch screen if you want to use memory map.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most PDA based phones with touch screens are 2,8" these days, although there are the odd units around that are 3,5" (HTC Sedna see Here ) When you have recovered from the Price look at some of the other HTC devices such as the Artemis.

If you already have Memory Map on the PC then you should be able to load the application to the PDA phone in just the same way as a normal non phone PDA. A PDA Phone with touch screen is running the same Windows Mobile as you get on a standard PDA.

If you do go down this route please consider a touch screen device though - MrT is being very kind when he says the non touch screen application is "very limited" - I gave up with it after trying it a few times, but on the PDA units its a decent application - Mike
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there is a version of Memory-map that runs under Windows CE - as used by the Road Angel. MM themselves are recommending the E-TEN GLOFIISH X600 Windows Mobile 6 phone.

I wouldn't worry too much about replaceable batteries - recharging units are fairly cheap and light - like Power Monkey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: