Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Mapping Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mapping Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: New Mapping Service Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm a newbie on this forum and located in the U.S.A. A week ago, I purchased a refurbished XL from Amazon. I've use it a couple of times and know the device pretty well. However, upon discovering that my street number was unavailable on the map, I checked the map version finding that I have 710.1575 and the latest is 815.2022. I've noticed other map discrepancies that could be attributed to my older version.

Hoping to qualify for a one time map update, I found out that I didn't have the 'green card' supplied with my XL. However, the nice lady at the other end of the line, told me to wait a few days for the new [to be announced] 'New Mapping Service' when I can purchase new maps for less that the current price [$99+] in the U.S.... and, she told me to wait a bit for the new map update which will supersede 815.2022.

marty
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise you are eligible for a free map udate under the LMG (Latest Map Guarantee) that TT offers.
You can use that up to 30 days after purchase.
The helpfull TT lady is right though, i would wait to nearer the end of your 30 days before updating as a new map is iminent.

They are probably going to offer the map update service same as what is already in place in Europe, where you pay up front for 4 map updates in a year. Its a good offer in Europe and i hope they do the same thing here in the USA.

It does depend on how old your current map is, as to how much you pay for the updates, so to you it would be important to get the free map upgrade first before entering any deals.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
You do realise you are eligible for a free map udate under the LMG (Latest Map Guarantee) that TT offers.

Does that apply to the OP as his unit is a refurb?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an official TT refurb, then yes.
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
If it is an official TT refurb, then yes.

It was a TT refurb, but apparently their policy has changed recently. Unless I'm misinformed, I needed a 'green' LMG card in my box. They don't pass that along anymore. Perhaps someone else might check up on this?
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you upgrade your TTHome to the later (.Net) version, there will be a new Tools menu, with a submenu called "Use LMG". No green needed. Must be based on device details in some way.

NB: You only get 1 shot.
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

layingback wrote:
If you upgrade your TTHome to the later (.Net) version, there will be a new Tools menu, with a submenu called "Use LMG". No green needed. Must be based on device details in some way.

NB: You only get 1 shot.

I tried that, earlier, it told me that my LMG had expired. Likely I'll have to purchase the new map when it's available.My TTHome version is 2.5.2.60, the latest available here.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Got mine as recently as 13 Jan, and LMG worked without using the green voucher/leaflet, but the 30 days didn't last long enough for the new map update Sad

If they base the automatic system on device id, perhaps yours was used up in its prior pre-refurb life? Worth a call?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revmrf wrote:
it told me that my LMG had expired. Likely I'll have to purchase the new map when it's available. My TTHome version is 2.5.2.60, the latest available here.
Have you updated your application to the latest version? I don't know what it is in USA, but I do believe it can't download the latest map until you have the latest application installed on the XL - with "Update my GO", you have to be careful to only select the application download and uncheck the map choice (if it offers any). Then you try LMG again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
revmrf wrote:
it told me that my LMG had expired. Likely I'll have to purchase the new map when it's available. My TTHome version is 2.5.2.60, the latest available here.
Have you updated your application to the latest version? I don't know what it is in USA, but I do believe it can't download the latest map until you have the latest application installed on the XL - with "Update my GO", you have to be careful to only select the application download and uncheck the map choice (if it offers any). Then you try LMG again.

I have the latest version [v.8.010] that's available. Yesterday, I called TT Support and, without the green card, I was told that I'm stuck with what I have until I purchase the latest map. My device was refurbished by TT, yet, they don't honor one getting the latest map upon purchase and receipt. IMO, that's lousy marketing and doesn't speak well for the company. No one get me wrong, I like the device, it has just I need, no frills.

I find out now, that I can purchase a new LT S with the LMG for $50 less than my current device and a map upgrade. To me, that's a bummer.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you take it back to the shop you purchased it from as it is obviously missing a part (the green card). Certainly in the UK, this would be within your consumer rights
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revmrf,
I personally have purchased 2 refurbs (official refurbs, but not from TT) and got the LMG on both.
I also helped a friend get the Latest map, again his was a refurb (official but not from TT).
In all 3 case the "TThome use LMG" only worked once, the other 2 we had to go through the process of call TT support and complaining, they then ask you to send proof of purchase and then they send the updated map to your download folder for you to get via TThome.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REV,

I should also add that i live in the States.
All our units had the LMG green card, but if you follow the link on the card it tells you they no longer use that system and you should use the LMG function in Home, or some wording along those lines.
I think you have been misinformed and need to get back on to TT and ask for the latest map.

PS i don't know about your XL, but the latest (official) App for my Go720 & 920 is v8.301
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
REV,

I should also add that i live in the States.
All our units had the LMG green card, but if you follow the link on the card it tells you they no longer use that system and you should use the LMG function in Home, or some wording along those lines.
I think you have been misinformed and need to get back on to TT and ask for the latest map.

PS i don't know about your XL, but the latest (official) App for my Go720 & 920 is v8.301

Hi Mrfreeze,
I took your advice... I've been on the phone with TT Support. I've run into a stone wall. I'm sending my device back. See:
http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_us.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7952&Lid=4

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: