Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a matter of Degree, so far, must have a bladder problem, added 63 Very PC places so far Laughing
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moreno wrote:
If you add any POI's do you get the database for free? Or is it just camera database and toilet database?

All the POIs are currently free apart from the speed cameras. If you are successful in adding a POI to the public toilet database, and we start charging for it, then you will have access to that database free for life.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worried wrote:
Probably a matter of Degree, so far, must have a bladder problem, added 63 Very PC places so far Laughing

Well done worried! Smile
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been a few more but somebody else lives in Essex Razz Razz
andelscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Excellent question. I'd personally say no as we won't be accepting the likes of McDonalds, pubs etc. I appreciate this is a slightly different case though!

...but let's see what others say... Smile

I recall one London Borough has a "Community Toilet" initiative where pubs and other premises make toilets available to non-customers. A quick Google highlights Richmond-upon-Thames, Sheffield and Waltham Forest, amongst the many references so although they are not 24 hour availability, I'd suggest these venues be included. [FWIW I think the owners receive small grants for participating.]
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to post the location of my local WCs, but I can't find WC under the Category / Sub Category sections of the Submitting POIs map page. What am I to do?
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

click Community, then underneath that on second part i.e. in alpha order is Public Toilets (Some of the posh places call them Public Conveniences)
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's under Rossendale Borough Council's "Community Toilet Scheme" http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=533 that I've added the three lavvies in Bacup, courtesy of Carolyn's Café, the Maden Centre...and the one hidden in the corner of the Market behind a door marked "Payphone". Laughing
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for that, worried.

I've entered my two WCs, and I was surprised to see them instantly appear on the map Thumbs Up

Whilst looking at the map of my home town, I see that other POIs, eg banks, ATMs etc, are very inaccurately marked, and need considerable editing. Is there a How To on how to do that, somewhere?

I certainly hope the quality of the accuracy of the POIs in general on this site is better than what I have seen this morning in my home town.

Last edited by SpikeUK on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeUK wrote:
Whilst looking at the map of my home town, I see that other POIs, eg banks, ATMs etc, are very inaccurately marked, and need considerable editing. Is there a How To on how to do that, somewhere?

on the submission page there are some links on the right explainng how to add or edit a poi etc.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeUK wrote:
I certainly hope the quality of the accuracy of the POIs in general on this site is better than what I have seen this morning in my home town.

Many of the original POIs were added using Post Code info which we know can be very inaccurate. That is why we encourage corrections from users who know the actual locations. It's simple to submit a correction and user input is welcomed.
DJ_Chalky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Main pedestrian entrance versus main car park entrance versus pinpointed actual location...

I'd personally say that if a toilet was located in a department store deep within a shopping centre, then the POI should be positioned exactly where the toilet actually is, not the shopping centre's entrance nor the car park entrance.

If we had a shopping centre/mall sub-category and the POI was flagged as such, then it would be obvious (to most I hope!) that you would have to follow the road signs to the main entrance or car park before you located the actual toilet.

We also have to bear in mind the huge increase in pedestrian navigation predicted over the next few years. This is where actual location rather than convenient route entrance will come into its own.

The problem with this is that TomTom isn't going to work inside places like Meadowhall, etc so it won't be much use!

EDIT: Never mind! I read on further, this post can be deleted. I don't know how to do it!

[/b]

Last edited by DJ_Chalky on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if you may have missed this post a couple of pages back...
RobBrady wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Whilst modern GPS receivers are good they will not work underground or inside shops within larger overall structures such as Meadow Hall or the Trafford Center - if you do manage to get a position fix it is probably going to quite inaccurate due to signal attenuation.

Sorry, I was thinking (and how were you to know!) about e-GPS which would take you straight to the toilet location within such buildings.

Quote:
Also consider how this is intended to work - if people post in locations way off the road network a car based device will refuse to provide a route to it, if it doesn't work on the car based navigation devices in a reliable way then I cannot see much interest in updating it by the members of this site who currently are mainly using road based devices.

Good point. To complicate matters further maybe we need both a vehicle location and a pedestrian one?!

george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
lets be honest how many times do you use a public toilet? .... I am not convinced the need for a poi of them.

Speaking as someone with a medical condition that can occasionally necessitate urgent need of a loo I would like to say that the quote above is from someone speaking out of their a*** - but that would be very rude and probably against forum guidelines. I really only phrased it that way so I could beg forgiveness for the pun, given the context. Very Happy

Seriously, though, excellent initiative and I'm certainly going to try to add any public loos I identify. Could RADAR National key Scheme loos be added as a sub-category? Sadly, I do not think they have a database of RADAR NKS loo locations - but I'll ask them.

http://www.radar.org.uk/radarwebsite/tabid/41/default.aspx
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

george57l wrote:
Speaking as someone with a medical condition that can occasionally necessitate urgent need of a loo I would like to say that the quote above is from someone speaking out of their...

Uh-Hum! I'm sure there are many more of us who recognise the importance, be it families with kids, those of us with a medical need or aged or whatever!

It's something everyone can benefit from at some time or another. I've had a kidney complaint which can on occasion necessitate a hasty dash to the nearest convenience and in a strange town that knowledge could prove invaluable!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: