Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8,320 application Download Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8,320 application Download Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy - I've just noticed your other thread and suggest that any discussions are continued there instead as it may be more appropriate to discuss in the 8.301 thread
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud!

so TT offer official advice to use the solution posted and tested by users on here yet again.

Getting a bit beyond a joke when they are months behind us, Mike Alder and I were testing this over Christmas after another user posted the direct link.

Laughable really that you got that response on the day 8.301 came out!

Andy
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I said exactly the same thing in the last thread. Tom Tom are becoming a joke. I sometimes feel a bit guilty posting because I do a lot of criticising but am not pro-active in the solutions posted here. That said, if I wanted to do my own development I'd have stuck with Destinator which is like an over the counter SDK! :-)

It annoys me that a listed company with millions of users thinks it's ok to cut and paste advice from a forum which they never participate in. I have a team of software developers in my company and I reckon they could knock the bugs out of the current verson in a few days, even less if they were working with it day to day. Tom Tom is starting to look like a one man software team with multi-million pound sales. They must think we are dumb as hell!

As an example, this week a client phoned up our place with a bug when soft-edge blending between two 3rd party projectors (which we don't support) had a minor issue but enough for a client to be unhappy. in a matter of hours there was a patch available with instructions to save the show. The edge Tom Tom have is that it doesn't stop selling if it doesn't work 100%. In most industries you're only as good as your last job but because we can still get where we set out to go they think it's ok for us to find a way around things. I'm in the wrong business!

I actually feel strongly enough about it that if I knew of a product launch or shareholders meeting where I could tnd up and voice my opinion I'd go. It would cost me three times as much to attend as the device cost me in the first place but it's almost a mtter of principle and because I fee our guys do a better job I expect the same from the products I use day to day. As I've said before, when technology is moving so fast I think TT are playing a very dangerous game. if a software only product for PDA/Smartphone/BlackBerry use came out with 75% of the features and a forward looking aproach everyone in these threads would migrate instantly.

Maybe the bosses already have the yacht and the holiday home but I don't think they give a sh*t about us any more. Does anyone feel the same way?
Holux GPSslim
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
if a software only product for PDA/Smartphone/BlackBerry use came out with 75% of the features and a forward looking aproach everyone in these threads would migrate instantly.

I wouldn't I prefer my sat nav solution seperate from my phone.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Jimbo,
Get on to watch dog. I think they need some bad publicity to kick them up the rear end, they might then sort stuff out. If you bought anything else that wasn't up to the job and didn't do the things it said it could do, you would have had a refund a long time ago, and the products wouldn't be selling. I know some people say that tomtom update old units where other companies don't, but this is the reason a good many of us bought from this incompetent company in the first place, to have updated units that actually work.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So seeing as how v8.301 has failed to make any difference i have resigned to giving 8.320 a go.

I have installed it to a blank SD card and then copied over the Kate v7 voice and the NA map.
Then booted from the SD card and all seems to be working ok. (keeping v8.301 on internal, just in case)
I will trial it over the next week to see how well it performs.

One question, i was under the impression that there were different icons to the v8.300, but as far as i can see there is no difference at all, other than no stutter yet.
Can someone tell me what the differences are?
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
One question, i was under the impression that there were different icons to the v8.300, but as far as i can see there is no difference at all, other than no stutter yet.

You won't get the x40 icons without loading a specific Navcore release to your device that was for the x40 devices and doing so stops quite a bit of device functionality such as mp3, TT Traffic etc. The 8,320 is intended to run on the hardware you have so it doesn't mess up the devices capability in terms of available functions and it doesn't stutter as much - Mike
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:

Maybe the bosses already have the yacht and the holiday home but I don't think they give a sh*t about us any more. Does anyone feel the same way?
You are dead right, they are acting like a load of bankers.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
mrfreeze wrote:

You won't get the x40 icons without loading a specific Navcore release to your device that was for the x40 devices and doing so stops quite a bit of device functionality such as mp3, TT Traffic etc. The 8,320 is intended to run on the hardware you have so it doesn't mess up the devices capability in terms of available functions and it doesn't stutter as much - Mike

Mike, are you saying the v8.320 that i have downloaded from this post (via TT) is actually offered as an official version for x20's ?
Rather than the other v8.320 i have read about that gave the other icons etc?
Don't get me wrong i like this version i'm running now, but i was just confuesd that i didn't really see any changes other than no stutter (yet).
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Malouff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You won't get the x40 icons without loading a specific Navcore release to your device that was for the x40 devices and doing so stops quite a bit of device functionality such as mp3, TT Traffic etc.

mrfreeze,

The new icons are in libaec.so that is included in the 8.203 & 8.204 firmware cabs for the 940.

That file is missing in the v8.310 cab again for the 940.

It appears that libaec.so will patch in the new icons.
Meaning, once it boots you won't see libaec.so listed in the directory anymore because it has patched in the new icons.

One thing about using the 8.310 cab is that it has now changed your Boot loader to version from 5.5015 to 5.5112

I don't know how to return to the 5.5015 Boot version and if having 5.5112 that was installed by using the 8.310 cab will affect anything
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: 8.320 is available via TT Home Reply with quote

8.320 is being offered by TomTom for download on Home if you go via this link:
http://www.tomtomwork.com/en/products/sw-update.xml
paul9018
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are offering by the link, then why is not being offered over home update??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
Mike, are you saying the v8.320 that i have downloaded from this post (via TT) is actually offered as an official version for x20's ?
Rather than the other v8.320 i have read about that gave the other icons etc?

The 8,320 is an official Navcore release, but it is intended for people using the TomTom Work hardware with their device. As it works well with and without the Work hardware, it is therefore, a better software release to use on the x20/ x30 devices.

It isn't 100% perfect, my units have stammered a couple of times over the last couple of months while I have been running the 8,320 - but this is better than the stammering I was getting on a daily basis with the 8,300 - I tried the more recent 8,301 and that is also a joke so the devices are back running 8,320.

@Paul9018 Home won't offer this release UNLESS you own the TomTom Work system hardware, There are plenty of links to the downloads within the forum, take a look Here for some links to the v7 LoquendoTTS files, the Navcore software and instructions how to install it - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul9018 wrote:
if they are offering by the link, then why is not being offered over home update??

Because it isn't intended for normal devices!
The website is for tomtomwork.com
and the link says:
Quote:
Download the most recent software version for your TomTom navigation device of your TomTom WORK solution.

Use it by all means, but don't expect TomTom to support it (even thought they have started to copy Mike's advice and instructions for installing it!).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Use it by all means, but don't expect TomTom to support it (even thought they have started to copy Mike's advice and instructions for installing it!).
I changed them slightly earlier today - if TT use the new instructions then we really can have a good laugh Cool - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: