Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
For example, Brent Cross has toilets on the 2nd floor, you can't drive there. Everyone knows shopping malls etc has toilets. If people don't know they are in a shopping Mall or in a town center, then it's not a SatNav they need.
To use your example, suppose that you don't have Shopping Centre POIs loaded on the SatNav and you don't know the area. You are traveling down the M1 and see the shopping centre from the motorway. How do you get to it? Having had a look at their web site I can see that there are toilets, but I couldn't have told you from memory (of driving past it many times) whether this was a "shopping center" (one huge building with lots of shops inside it, along with offices, toilets and possibly bowling, ice rink, or cinema) or a "retail park" with a number of different stores, each having a door to the car park, but with no common services.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain supermarkets where I regularly stop on a long journey to use the toilets. The branch of Sainsburys in Biggleswade is one such example. It is located just off the A1 and has toilets which are accessible without buying anything (although I often buy a paper or snack on the way out). Perhaps all branches of Sainsburys have toilets? I would include this location in the toilet POI. I will submit it and see what Richard thinks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
If people don't know they are in a shopping Mall or in a town center
Depends which town you are in.
253 wrote:
then it's not a SatNav they need
Or a shopping mall, just a loo Very Happy
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think it is needed as most people will know where to use the loo on a journey, all eateries will have a toilet, services and lets be honest how many times do you use a public toilet? I cannot remember when I last used one it was that long ago.
Most people see public toilets as dirty places and I am not convinced the need for a poi of them.
dbarfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
lets be honest how many times do you use a public toilet?

Everyone's different. My wife will use the public toilets pretty much everytime we go out. This would be of great use to me. I've lost count of the number of times she's had me driving about trying to find a toilet in the middle of nowhere.

Dave.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
Personally I don't think it is needed as most people will know where to use the loo on a journey, all eateries will have a toilet, services and lets be honest how many times do you use a public toilet? I cannot remember when I last used one it was that long ago.
Most people see public toilets as dirty places and I am not convinced the need for a poi of them.

As a field engineer that visits very remote locations I can say that there is a need for such a POI file.

If I was several miles between several small vilages it would be good to know where the nearest WC is. Ok, I could find a bush for the obvious but nice to know where I can do the other. I am one that doesnt like walking through pubs etc to just use their loo.

Also worth remembering that some local councils are shutting down their facilities and offering a bounty to local businesses to open up theirs for public use.

Steve
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Also worth remembering that some local councils are shutting down their facilities and offering a bounty to local businesses to open up theirs for public use.

Which I think ties in nicely with a suggestion from MaFt that we get small signs printed that shops, bars and cafes could put on their windows: "We can be found in the PocketGPSWorld.com public toilet sat-nav database".
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least there is a chance that submissions from Australia will be accurate. I was trying to find a list for public toilets in Dorset (UK) and came across this site for Dorset (Australia) http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/browse.aspx?type=area&id=742016ab-030e-43f5-bb37-b469885cf0d8

I particularly liked the text in the banner "A PROJECT OF THE NATIONAL CONTINENCE MANAGEMENT STRATEGY"
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see their categories, sub categories and sub categories of sub categories Smile
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob I have a list of 50 around your Local in Essex, added 4 so far, but it takes ages, can you do it any easier?
ultimate
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it would be worthwhile including toilets in say tesco's if there are no local public conveniences. As has been said not everyone has the various POI's loaded, perhaps these borderline ones could be in a sperate file even if the staff want to keep the WC file as a strictly public toilet category
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added the one I know in my immediate locality. I also took the opportunity to update / correct some other local POI's.

Apologies to the POI team if I've messed up and/or created extra work. No doubt others will be doing the same (Adding more I meant, not messing up Embarassed )

I can take constructive criticism Wink
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I take your point about remote locations as they would be usefull, you must be braver than me!
Also as well I figured when I last used a public loo which was at a seaside so I guess they could be used there as well as more and more people are carrying sat navs around now.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like this for the POI symbol? Twisted Evil

Moreno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add any POI's do you get the database for free? Or is it just camera database and toilet database?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: