Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera May Have Caused Fatal Crash
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera May Have Caused Fatal Crash
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Speed Camera May Have Caused Fatal Crash Reply with quote

Speed Cameras, GPS, SatNavsA fatal accident involving a 45 year old man may have been caused by a speed camera Police say.

Tayside Police say the driver, Graham Davies lost control of his car for no apparent reason and hit a lamp post on the A9 near Auchterarder, Perthshire. Mr Davies was not thought to have been speeding but Police believe he may have braked suddenly when he sighted the speed camera and lost control as a result.

Traffic Police Officer George Fergus said; "We find many drivers, when approaching a camera, see the camera or road markings and it is a natural reaction to brake hard then check their speed and accelerate again. I believe that is what happened here."

The camera was sighted at a known accident black-spot.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympathies to the driver’s family

Do we know which camera it was, as there are three fixed cameras on the A9 near Auchterarder, Perthshire. The camera Ids are:

GATSO:843@70
GATSO:33@70
GATSO:1989@70

There are also a couple of mobile sites in the same area.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is GATSO:33 as one report states it was near to the Gleneagles Railway Station junction.

But take a look at this YouTube video, a BBC News Item of a speed camera van triggering crashes.

Yes I agree that the innatention of drivers is to blame but the speed camera traps are the trigger, were they not there then those accidents would not have occurred. Frightening.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he wasn't speeding, am I right in assuming that the icy weather played a part in the accident?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
If he wasn't speeding, am I right in assuming that the icy weather played a part in the accident?

Weather has not been named as being a causal factor at all so difficult to say.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad - sad, but there seems to be no consideration to the drivers natural reaction to seeing cameras in the offical's world - instead they want hide them which will cause more sudden braking

I have often used the counter arguments about speed camera warnings being to aid speeding -
    1) warnings removes a level of uncertainty about the limit (I believe those who claim never to be unsure about the limit they are in are either deluded, lying, super human or not drivers) and thus desire to brake suddenly

2) Warning of erratic driving ahead as others brake with no reason

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
- snip..they want hide them which will cause more sudden braking

Not if they are hidden well enough. Confused The first you will know about them will be the flashes or the NIP. Crying or Very sad
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty. I'll add my condolences to the family of the deceased.

Can't remember where I saw it, but wasn't there a study recently (in the last couple of years?) that showed that so-called "friendly" speed info signs (the ones that flash up your speed, and a smiley face if you're on or under the limit) were miles better at controlling speeds?
pjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:

Don't think the road would have been icy, as the accident happened in May 2008.

I quite regularly travel on this stretch of road, and I've seen people braking for the speed cameras even though they are only doing 70mph - It's a natural reaction, particularly if you aren't concentrating on what speed you are actually doing.
santafekid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: speed camera fatal accident Reply with quote

To blame a speed camera for a fatal accident is ludicrous. If it were true then the same principal would apply to all speed restriction signs when changing from one speed restriction to a lesser one. If the braking was the cause for loss of control as is suggested you have to ask what speed was the car doing to have to brake so heavily, and if conditions were icy as has also been suggested it shouldnt have been travelling that fast in the first place. I have been driving for forty years and as yet have never lost control of my car and if one day I do then it will be MY FAULT- FULL STOP.
Pete Washburn
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver was NOT believed to be speeding and ice was not a factor. Whilst the camera may not be to blame, if it did (as the police believe) cause the driver to panic and brake as many drivers do regardless of speed then it was a contributory factor.

In which case if it hadn't been there then the accident would not have occurred and the driver would not be dead.

Speed restriction signs do not cause drivers to panic. Speed cameras do. If they don't cause you to quickly check your speed then I'm very pleased to hear you're such an attentive driver but you are a rare commodity!
santafekid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: speedd camera accident Reply with quote

The comment by Darren Griffin that I am a rare commodity is both sarcastic and very silly. I am just the average driver (though advanced) which makes me better than some and not as good as others. Where in my text did I state that I dont check my speed when sighting a camera or that I spot every camera?
We have to accept responsibilty for our own actions and stop blaming other people or inanimate objects. If in the future I am involved in an accident the chances are I will be a contributary factor. Whatever we think of them the speed camera is here to stay and we the morotrist are entirely responsible for that, if we didnt speed they wouldnt exist.
P Washburn
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: speedd camera accident Reply with quote

santafekid wrote:
I am just the average driver (though advanced) which makes me better than some and not as good as others.

If you are an advanced driver then surely you are in the 'good' MINORITY. Confused
santafekid wrote:
If in the future I am involved in an accident the chances are I will be a contributary factor.

And who/what will you blame for the rest of the 'contribution' to the said accident?
Twisted Evil Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: speedd camera accident Reply with quote

santafekid wrote:
The comment by Darren Griffin that I am a rare commodity is both sarcastic and very silly.

The comment was intended to be tongue in cheek. If you felt it was sarcastic them my apologies as that was not my intention.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: speedd camera accident Reply with quote

santafekid wrote:
The comment by Darren Griffin that I am a rare commodity is both sarcastic and very silly.
P Washburn

I think that most people would take it as a compliment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: