Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Splitting out Forward facing cameras e.g. Truvelo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Splitting out Forward facing cameras e.g. Truvelo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Splitting out Forward facing cameras e.g. Truvelo Reply with quote

Hi,

Would it be possible to havea seperate file for the Truvelo style of camera's? This would mean that one could easily change the alert distance for this type of camera (I use Adam Mealings GPX converter tool).

Thanks

Paul Smith
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could manually seperate the files in excel (or similar)?

we have no plans to split the files further a it would mean over 37 files for speed-zoned for the uk and more for european file sets.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to do this? The distance/time of the alert should be sufficient to ensure that you are at or below the speed limit when you arrive at the camera regardless of its direction of detection. (Unless of course you blast up to the cam then slam on the brakes Shocked Wink ). The difference in detection distance between forward and rear facing cameras is aboyt 50 yards max. which is probably a fairly small percentage of the total alert time/distance.
However, if you really wanted to, you could always get a .csv copy of the fixed camera database and split out the forward facing ones (if you could identify them)

Edit. Oops, MaFt got there first with a much better reason
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. My thinking was that they are not Gatso and should be in a different file (the file is named gatso after all).

If you have the alert at 70 yards for a 30mph gatso then you get 70 yards before the point of no return.

For the Truvelo you would only get 20 yards (if they fire at 50 yards) which is not enough time to slow down safely. If you up the yardage for the whole group then the gatso alerts tend to go off too far away, especially when there are lots of Gatso's about such as in a city - making it difficult to know whats a false alert or not (as they are not directional either).

I know there are lots of arguments about driving slower etc. so no need to remind me of that - it is for those occasions when you inadvertantly speed.

thanks
Paul
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They fire a lot closer than that, 20ft approx. Set your warnings sufficiently and you'll be fine.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
PaulJSmith wrote:
If you have the alert at 70 yards for a 30mph gatso then you get 70 yards before the point of no return.

You only have your alerts set to 70 yds Shocked

PaulJSmith wrote:
For the Truvelo you would only get 20 yards (if they fire at 50 yards) which is not enough time to slow down safely.

Agreed. But see my first comment Very Happy

PaulJSmith wrote:
I know there are lots of arguments about driving slower etc. so no need to remind me of that {snip}
OK, wouldn't dream of it Wink

There have been other threads discussing this which I can't find at the moment to link to, but the cut and thrust of the PGPSW team is as MaFt said above.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 70 yards warning for 30mph?! assuming you were travelling spot-on 30mph then that's only 4.77 seconds warning and that also assumes 100% accuracy of GPS signal (realistically you're talking about 10-30yards accuracy at best) as well as the assumption that the POI itself is 100% accurate (again, could be 5-20 yards out) basically leaving you with about 1 second warning - even less if you were actually over the limit initially!

i'd recomend at least 300yards for 30mph camera, at least 600yrds for a 30mph mobile site... by which time your 40 or so extra yards for truvelo camera doesn't really matter!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: