Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom in Central London
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom in Central London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalbullet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: TomTom in Central London Reply with quote

I used my iPaq 4150 and BT TTN3 is central london last night for the first time.....aint it crap!??!?

I kept losing signal when I was in and around Covent Garden and Leicester Square. It took me a while to find my way around because I had to go further out where there were fewer buildings, figure out where I had to go and then get there without using the PDA as it just kept losing signal.

Has anyone else experienced this? I refuse to believe that all SatNav products behave like this in cities so are there any solutions?
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My experience is totally the opposite. I had cause to travel to London last month to two places within the conjestion charge. I did not carry a paper map so left home entirely dependent on Tom tom 3 with a wired Leadtec mouse.

I travelled down from Shropshire dependent on the Nav system, and it never let me down, even when in the conjestion charge area, around High holborn i was picking up between 5 to 7 sats continually

I thought i would have problems with the high buildings but not so, using Neils post code programme i arrived outside the Front doors of both buildings first off

I cannot fault the system , it works for me

pgchimp
digitalbullet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: broken? Reply with quote

This makes me wonder now if my GPS receiver is faulty? But Im regularly picking up 6-7 satellites when Im out and about.

Can anyone else add their £0.02?
NickE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only used it a few times in London, but always worked absolutely perfectly; areas like Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, Strand etc. Always plenty of satellites in view, response spot-on.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be due to where the receiver is situated in your car and whether your car has uv filters or heater elements on the windows.

How many sats do you see outside of town? I have an extenernal antenna on my bt haicom unit and even though it uses the generally accepted inferior evermore chipset I get 9 - 12 sats in the countryside and 6 - 8 in London.

To test the receiver take it to a place with a clear few to the sky (outside your car) and give it a go. If you can't get a fix then I would return the unit - if you get a good fast fix then look at its position in the car.
digitalbullet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: bt Reply with quote

I am quite sure the unit is ok as I regularly get satellite fixes of 6-9. I willbe driving into London again soon so I will see if changing the position helps. Thanks guys.
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, I regularly get 8-9 sat locks and don't really lose sat lock - except when I drive through london. So I get the same problems that you get! I just learn to live with it!?!
andrewjh009
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems with using my tom tom 3 and ipaq2210 in central london but did have some problems with bridges and things around the docklands area where i was staying overnight but this is to be expected i guess Smile
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I drive in central london every day and I use a ins jacket for my ipaq used to work ok with the co pilot software lost signal some times but when I upgraded to tom tom nav it lost the sats all the time bought a re rad and now i get six plus sats all the time when out of london i get nine sats most of the time
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in London last week, and took my BT GPS with me to guide me when i got off the train at Liverpool St to a new design agency we've started using. On foot, i was barely up & out of the tube station steps before it got a lock on sats, and hey-ho, my previously programmed "walk" route gave me spoken directions through earphones (i was listening to music too!), no probs.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you put the BT GPS receiver? I've not had good luck with this in the past (walking in central London), but since then I've sent the GPS receiver back to TT under warranty for a BT problem, and its replacement seems to lock onto a lot more satellites. I may give it a go again tomorrow.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your pocket, or a back pack, doesn't really matter. I use the Emtac one in my backpack while crcling and it works fine

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: