Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How does HD traffic deal with..........or cant it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How does HD traffic deal with..........or cant it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: How does HD traffic deal with..........or cant it? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have seen a couple of posts about the early days (in trial) of HD traffic and someone mentioned the thought of a railway been next to a road and the train coming to a stop. Apparently this has been thought of and addresses by TT, is this correct?

Another one on similar lines is the situation where there is a continuous slip road onto a motorway and a mile or so along this is a slip road off.

For instance the M90 South just before the forth road bridge is a 2 lane motorway. At one junction the slip on is a continuous road (making a 3rd lane) all the way to it becoming a slip off for the next junction.

Quite often the traffic can be backing up on the 2 main lanes and so 10's or possibly hundreds of Vodaphones and TT x40's would be reporting slow traffic. But to conteract this, 10's or hundreds of mobiles could be whizzing past using this 3rd lane slip as a shortcut (on and off) or cutting in to the normal carriageway at the very end.

Can TT HD traffic cope with this situation?

I only ask cos I have only ever seen HD traffic mention delays there once (this week) even though you can bet your last £1000 that they are there every day at similar times.

Steve
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard recently (can't remember where from) but there are various things in place to cope with the examples given eg where a trainline runs alongside a road and either the train is stopped and traffic moving or the traffic stopped and the train moving.

i've never used it though so can't comment!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where such issues arise and are detected TomTom implement special rules to cater for it. I don't know what this involves but I would expect they just modify some algorithm to cater for the issue in each specific location where such a conflict arises.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen on HD traffic where a slip road has been queuing the traffic shown as queuing down the main road and on the slip road. M1S-M25 exit.

Many people seem to overlook that HD Traffic is normal traffic info plus HD traffic info.

Traffic and SatNav is only information to assist with driving decisions, it will never be perfect and it is not a replacement for the brain of the driver.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:

Traffic and SatNav is only information to assist with driving decisions, it will never be perfect and it is not a replacement for the brain of the driver.

Thats very true MrT!!

Thanks for all your replies.

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: