Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Speed Correction wrong?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Speed Correction wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wez99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst on the subject of rectifying speed limits on roads, is there a tutorial anywhere showing the best way to edit the info. I am having limited success.

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wez, have a look at This Thread, although until the actual speed entered is correctly displayed on the device, there is little point in bothering with this capability if you are in the UK/ USA - Mike
wez99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,
you mention the roads are a series of "nodes", how far apart are these nodes, are they close enough to select/deselect acurately?

Thanks for the help

john
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that since I upgraded to v 8.3, the speed limits I altered now read correctly. At least all those I have checked do.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map nodes will vary depending upon the road, if its nice and straight they will be quite far apart, if its a tight bend they will be much closer together.

Selecting/ deselecting parts or a specific road becomes more difficult the longer the actual road is that you want to make the change to.

The M1 example being a very good example, the A583 is a little easier, but even a small alteration took quite some time and was never effective in use on the device until the next map update - Mike
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using app 8.310, and noticed this problem on my way home tonight, on a road that I'd updated to 30mph from 40mph. It showed up as 29mph, then as 31mph.

What are these bozos playing at? Mad

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rounding up problem (km/h to mph), but once the MapShare corrections have been processed by TT and incorporated into map updates, the speed limits are displayed correctly.

Compared with the stuttering voice problem with 8.300 and low refresh rate, this speed limit error is just a minor irritation, though.
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed something else really annoying too.

The road in question goes through Ampfield in Hampshire. The speed limit goes from 60mph to 30mph and then back to 60mph again. It used to be 60-40-60. So I tagged a bit of the road in the 30, and when I got home, changed the speed from 40 to 30. And guess what happened? Because the whole road is not broken up at all, it changes the speed limit in the 60 zones to 30 too!

The thing is, TomTom has always shown the whole road as 60mph, even though its been a 40mph limit for absolutely ages. They need to correct the map I guess.

In the meantime, does anyone know how I can back my changes out of mapshare? Setting the limit back to 60 still ends up with the rounding error. I want to reset to default values.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geraint wrote:
In the meantime, does anyone know how I can back my changes out of mapshare? Setting the limit back to 60 still ends up with the rounding error. I want to reset to default values.

Yes, in HOME, you can determine which corrections to remove or even remove all corrections.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they wonder why some of us call them Mapshare Corruptions, not corrections and we don't download any of them!! Confused On my two devices (because corruptions don't get shared between different maps/ devices) I once corrected my street by entering 30mph for a previous blank. It registered as 29mph. When I got a new map (815) for one device, I decided to check if it now worked correctly. So on that one, it's 31mph!

How many eager beavers out there are going round corrupting all the road speeds in their area?

The problem for you geraint is that when you tagged the Ampfield road, you didn't look close enough when it asked you if you had selected the correct road - if you had, you'd have seen it stretching for miles either side, not just the short bit you needed to change. I did the same myself not long ago - changed the entire A36 from Salisbury to Bath to 60mph (well, 59 or 61, can't remember). Embarassed But it's OK, I don't share my corruptions anyway, so nobody will be affected.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: