Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Home errors!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Home errors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcqueen
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, after a few weeks I've now managed to successfully install TomTom HOME on my Vista machine, where:
1) the user account does not have Administrative privileges
2) User Account Control (UAC) is switched on.

Seems the solution is to manually delete the TomTomHome directory left behind in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\
from a previous installation, and then re-install..

Seems when uninstalling/upgrading HOME it removes the TomTomHome directory from C:\Program Files, but not from the VirtualStore area used by UAC.

Hope someone finds this useful.
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcqueen wrote:
I've been having the same problem installing and running HOME on VISTA. Seems to be a problem if User Account Control is switched on. Switch this off and it runs fine. I explained this to TomTom Support who advised me to switch off UAC, rather than fixng the issue!

Yes, TomTom said my issue was with Microsoft, not TomTom...

Interestingly I do have the TomTom folder in my Virtualstore folder as listed in your other post - however when doing a search for 'Tom' on the C: drive in Vista it doesn't get returned! Thus didn't come up to be deleted during previous troubleshooting steps, and was probably causing the ongoing issues... I guess TomTom were right, the problem is with Microsoft - ie Vista is rubbish...

PS - the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2 folder isn't hidden or marked as a system folder - just doesn't come up when searching from within Explorer (does get listed if I do a search from the command prompt however)... yay Microsoft!

Will try one final time to get HOME running on my normal account...
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcqueen wrote:
At last, after a few weeks I've now managed to successfully install TomTom HOME on my Vista machine, where:
1) the user account does not have Administrative privileges
2) User Account Control (UAC) is switched on.

Seems the solution is to manually delete the TomTomHome directory left behind in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\

Seems when uninstalling/upgrading HOME it removes the TomTomHome directory from C:\Program Files, but not from the VirtualStore area used by UAC.

Useful? I'll say it was useful! Bl**dy useful!

I got so frustrated with both Vista and TomTom Tech Support a few weeks back when I suffered the same problem, I gave up entirely and installed the TTH on my wifes laptop...... which is a bit of a pain.

Your remedy cured my issue completely and I'm back to using TTH on Vista.

Superb. Many thanks for your input.

Mick
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcqueen wrote:

Exactly the problem I had, now working OK with my normal account - thanks again!
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except the stupid bl**dy thing's gone again - worked first couple of times, now throws the same error again - waste of time...
Geo-geo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got exactly the same message after updating Tomtom Home on two PC's under vista (a laptop and a brand new desktop) :

(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIProperties.get]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/settings.js

I contacted Tomtom help-desk who gave me useless advices. I spent a lot of time trying different solutions to solve the problem and discovered the following :
As I had made a disk backup of my laptop a few months ago, and remembering that at that time I had used Tomtom Home, I tried a recovery of my system.
And effectively it happened that I could launch TTH again. The release installed was the 2.3.1.92. But, in fact, the problem was not totally solved either : after closing TTH and launching it again I got the same error message. Having tried to launch TTH several times, it appeared that it does launch but only one time over three (approximately) totally at random.
After that I installed the same release on my brand new desktop and it did work but in the same way, that is, not always, at random. And this behaviour is totally independant of firewall, antivirus, or user rights parameters.
I have also tried to install newer releases of TTH but without success. It seems that 2.3.1.92 is the most stable (maybe the only).

Maybe it can help.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try right clicking the .exe file, properties, run with xp compatibility.
Geo-geo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> dhn :

Thanks for the trick but I had already tried that without success.

Just for information, here is the last answer received from Tomtom (!) :

"It is an issue caused by an interference.

As we can't take your computer as well as your router in repair, we invite you to use an other computer."

I have serious doubts concerning their expertise. They should have noticed that the problem has nothing to do with the router since it appears when trying to launch TTH, even if the PC is not connected to the network.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for some people when Home acts up, a solution is to make sure the computer has dot net framework installed (Control Panel/Add Programs/see what's listed there -----the process for XP, not sure for Vista).

Anyway, if you don't have framework installed, you can get it here.

Perhaps try that...........

=============================================
p.s. Perhaps a mod should move this thread to the Home forum?? Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
p.s. Perhaps a mod should move this thread to the Home forum??

Thumbs Up
Geo-geo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>dhn :

I do have dot net framework installed (3.5 SP1, but maybe an older release is necessary ?).
Before I changed my desktop I never had problems under XP with all other installed programmes the same. From what I have seen on the net, it appears to be a problem specific to Vista ( !).
archersgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nslProperties.get]

This is a problem that involves the Vista OS only, although the problem is due to the TT Home software. It exists when your My Documents ISN'T the Vista default location of C:\Users\*username*\Documents. My own "My Docs" was set to Drive D and I too had the error until I changed it back to C:\Users\*username*\Documents when updating my TT.

Prior to launching TT Home, you should ensure that your My Documents is mapped (albeit temporarily whilst you update) to

C:\Users\*username*\Documents

There is no need to move your docs back to this location, just ensure that My docs is pointing at it. You can point it back to your documents true location aftwards.

I've fixed several of these problems and never had a failure with the above method.

Good luck.

Last edited by archersgreen on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geo-geo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> to archersgreen

I do also have "my documents" on drive D: (I find it crazy to have both programmes and data on the same partition !). Thus I will try your solution and, if it works, I will inform Tomtom desk because they do not seem to know that.

I will inform you of the result but, anyway, thanks a lot.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been getting this exact same error, and also have My Documents set to D:\ for the same reasons as everybody else.

Just tried resetting My Documents to the default, and TomTom Home works perfectly, with no error messages. Then I changed it back to D:\ and got the error back again.

Looks pretty conclusive to this (Vista Ultimate) user ...

Geo-geo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> to archersgreen :

Yeah ! It did work. I changed my "My documents" folder to default and I succeeded in installing last release of Home.

I am amazed at the poor expertise of Tomtom help desk. How can they ignore that ? And why have not they corrected that bug already ?

I will send them a report.

And thanks once more.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: