Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No audio warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No audio warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No audio warning Reply with quote

banjo12 wrote:
Hi,
when I go through a junction in coventry which is fitted with red light cameras the traffic light icons are shown but there is no audio warning at all.

These lights are situated at the junction of, Sewall Highway, Hipswell Highway and the Ansty rd and are facing East and West is this enough information for the data base to be checked, thank you.

Centre Latitude: 52.416974306097 Longitude: -1.4605271816253662

Les
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the 2 RedLight Cameras on Anstey Road, where you at any point during the approach over the speed limit?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
banjo12 wrote:
Hi,
when I go through a junction in coventry which is fitted with red light cameras the traffic light icons are shown but there is no audio warning at all.

These lights are situated at the junction of, Sewall Highway, Hipswell Highway and the Ansty rd and are facing East and West is this enough information for the data base to be checked, thank you.

Les

Sorry the cameras that worked?
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Also the 2 RedLight Cameras on Anstey Road, where you at any point during the approach over the speed limit?

No, I try very hard not to brake the speed limit.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
banjo12 wrote:
Hi,

Les

Sorry the cameras that worked?

I am approximatley here Centre Latitude: 52.40430402080538 Longitude: -1.5016508102416992 when I get a red light warning.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am approximatley here Centre Latitude: 52.40430402080538 Longitude: -1.5016508102416992 when I get a red light warning.

Can you check that? No Redlight cameras for quite a distance there!
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Can you check that? No Redlight cameras for quite a distance there!

I believe that this is the red light that triggers the alert

Centre Latitude: 52.39061523860202 Longitude: -1.486126184463501
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Basically it comes down to the fact i forgot how Garmin set up alerts using POILoader to process the database. I've been using Ash10s Camera Manager (more about that later) which produces much different files and results in different behaviour.

All camera are held in the database with an identifier name such as

REDLIGHT:12345@40

where REDLIGHT is the camera type, 12345 is the database ID number and @40 is the speed limit for the road. The 2 cameras you identified as having a problem bother have 40 mph trigger speeds, so if you don't break the speed limit as you approach them you will get NO ALERTS at all!! The icon displays but there is no alert.

If you were speeding then you would get an Approach Alert and then if you where still speeding an Overspeed Alert.

I have tested this by reloading the database dozens of times after adjusting the speed limits up or down to simulate speeding or driving well under the limit. In all cases it produces the results above.

This behaviour is programmed into POILoader and it is used to set up the alerts in your Nuvi as you load the database.

Some cameras have no speed limit data (i.e. REDLIGHT:12345) and they will give a single Approach Alert. I suspect the camera that gives you an alert has no speed limit data but until i can't see the data for it i can't be sure.

The only way around this to us Ash10s Camera Manager which allows to to changes the alerts distances for the cameras and have Approach and OverSpeed alerts so you get Approach Alerts regardless of speed.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That other camera is also an @40.

However when RedLight cameras are placed at cross roads you are likely to get a build up in traffic resulting in slower approach speeds. The second looks like a crossing and would generally be free of traffic resulting is higher approach speeds. I suspect this is why one alerts you and the other doesn't.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the reason I brought this to your attention has been missed, I know of these cameras but other people strange to the area won't and could be caught out.

I find the speed that you go through the red light irrelevant as if you go through the light at any speed when it is red you will be prosecuted and could cause a fatal accident, or am I missing something ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjo12 wrote:
I think that the reason I brought this to your attention has been missed, I know of these cameras but other people strange to the area won't and could be caught out.

I find the speed that you go through the red light irrelevant as if you go through the light at any speed when it is red you will be prosecuted and could cause a fatal accident, or am I missing something ?

You are. Firstly the issue is caused by the device and not our database. Secondly, this affects a red light camera.

As I have said on many occasions previously in these forums, these are included against my personal wishes but primarily because some are dual-purpose red-light/speed cameras. Anyone speeding or indeed driving at any speed through an ATS on red in my opinion deserves all the get! They should not need a database to know that red lights mean STOP!

However, we will look at the issue of attaching speed limits to red-lights for Garmin devices as it is clear that Garmin's implementation can cause an issue in some cases as highlighted here.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
banjo12 wrote:

You are. Firstly the issue is caused by the device and not our database. Secondly, this affects a red light camera.

As I have said on many occasions previously in these forums, these are included against my personal wishes but primarily because some are dual-purpose red-light/speed cameras. Anyone speeding or indeed driving at any speed through an ATS on red in my opinion deserves all the get! They should not need a database to know that red lights mean STOP!

However, we will look at the issue of attaching speed limits to red-lights for Garmin devices as it is clear that Garmin's implementation can cause an issue in some cases as highlighted here.

I quite agree with you anyone jumping a red light should have the book thrown at them as should a motorist who is speeding to excess, driving dangerously without a license, tax, mot or insurance.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i think all traffic lights should have Red Light Camera regardless of the junctions history.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Personally i think all traffic lights should have Red Light Camera regardless of the junctions history.

Ditto
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul, i'm not convinced...

i'm 99% certain that regardless of speed you get an initial warning. then if speeding you get an overspeed warning.. gonna pull out my nuvi 350 and play later...

unless garmin have changed something then surely #3 and #4 will apply here?

if there's a speed attached (@40) there will be the default (36second) warning and without speed will be the default 400m?

from: http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp#understanding
Quote:
Proximity Alert Information

Proximity alert information can be calculated automatically based on speed information. It can also be included in .gpx data files or added in Manual mode.

POI Loader determines proximity alert information based on the following criteria, listed from highest to lowest priority:

1. Proximity alert information listed for individual POIs in a .gpx file. This information overrides all other proximity alert information.
2. Proximity alert information entered in Manual mode.
3. Proximity alert distance calculated by POI Loader based on speed information in the file name or in individual POI names. This calculation uses the following formula:

Prompt Distance = 36 seconds * Speed.

4. A default proximity alert distance of 400 meters/0.25 miles if the file name contains the word "redlight."

5. If there is a TourGuide audio file attached and no other proximity alert information is available, POI Loader assigns a proximity alert distance of 0.25 miles.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: