Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't delete large file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't delete large file
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Can't delete large file Reply with quote

I've just uploaded a POI file that is 1.05mb. It shows as being on the Satmap when I am connected to SatSYNC but it does not show in the POI's on the satmap. When I try to delete it through sat map I get the following message.

Quote:
SatSYNC does not allow the deletion of large map files (.map) as these are irrecoverable
any suggestions how I can delete it and why I can't see it in satmap??
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Settings - Default - Yes - Clear All.
N.B. All data will be lost. Call me ultra cautious but I prefer to remove the map card first.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
Try Settings - Default - Yes - Clear All.
N.B. All data will be lost. Call me ultra cautious but I prefer to remove the map card first.

I just tried that as suggested, thanks, but it didn't work all it did was clear all the user settings and left all my .map files. Any other ideas
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you edit the file on the device and delete a number of POI locations to get the file size down below 1MB then see if the device will let you delete it in one go.
I don't know what the threshold is for the device refusing to delete a file but I am sure this has been introduced as a safety measure to prevent people inadvertently deleting a map - Mike
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't do this as the POI category is not showing up in the satmap so I can't get into it to edit and reduce the file size.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other idea then, create another POI file with exactly the same file name but only put a couple of entries in it, now use SatSync to send that to the device - I am not sure if it will replace the old file with the new one but its worth a try - Mike
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
SatSYNC does not allow the deletion of large map files (.map) as these are irrecoverable

I assume the file in question is in the internal memory. It just seems odd that Satsync caters for large map files ie maps in the internal memory. I can understand the protection on SD cards, where you could delete a map.

As an additional point to Mikes's suggestion, if Satsync won't allow you to overwrite with a smaller file, you could put the smaller file on an SD card (suggust not a map card if possible) and then copy/move it frome the card in the device itself. Worth a try.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now tried Mike's suggestion and 4ndynorfolks suggestion and neither seem to override the problem file. looking in the saysync help it says

Quote:
I can’t find my file on the Active 10.
Change the selected Memory In Use to view the alternative storage area.

but i don't know how to do this - any ideas??
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question, have you restarted the Satmap?
Quote Satsync help:
Quote:
I’ve imported a route from Memory Map into SatSYNC but I can’t see it on my Active 10.
The Active 10 just needs to be rebooted, so please unplug it from your PC and switch it off and then back on again.
chrisabel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I had a similar problem and rang Satmap about it. Was told the device doesn't delete large files to prevent any purchased maps from being accidentaly deleted. They were going to get back to me with a solution but never did. However when I upgraded to 1.16 firmware (this was a while ago) it somehow deleted the large file that I didnt want so the problem was sorted. No idea if upgrading to later firmware versions will also do the trick.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisabel wrote:
Hi I had a similar problem and rang Satmap about it. Was told the device doesn't delete large files to prevent any purchased maps from being accidentaly deleted. They were going to get back to me with a solution but never did. However when I upgraded to 1.16 firmware (this was a while ago) it somehow deleted the large file that I didnt want so the problem was sorted. No idea if upgrading to later firmware versions will also do the trick.
I've already installed the new software but may see if I can reinstall
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
chrisabel wrote:
I've already installed the new software but may see if I can reinstall
unfortunately it didn't work
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reloading v1.3 is unlikely to work - it doesn't even reset settings. I kept v1.2 on my machine in case I needed to go back to the earlier version. As far as I can remember V1.2 did do a complete reset and Satmap have informed me that there is no problem in going back to this version. If you would like to try it I can send you the file. However, for the sake of 24 hours it might be better to phone Satmap first.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
Reloading v1.3 is unlikely to work - it doesn't even reset settings. I kept v1.2 on my machine in case I needed to go back to the earlier version. As far as I can remember V1.2 did do a complete reset and Satmap have informed me that there is no problem in going back to this version. If you would like to try it I can send you the file. However, for the sake of 24 hours it might be better to phone Satmap first.
Thanks, yes I'll contact satmap first but then may comeback to you on it. I'll ask them if reverting to 1.2 then back to 1.30 is ok.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Satmap about the deletion issue today and they seemed to be aware of it as a known problem. They didn't have an immediate resolution to it, but he advised that at the end of "next month" so I assume that they mean end of February or there abouts a new version of SatSYNC is going to be released, this is going to resolve this particular issue and by the sounds of things provide better software for POI uploads. The gent I spoke to referred it providing "multi-media" functionality!!! So for now I'll just live the the file.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: