Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Comparative Reviews - or lack of
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparative Reviews - or lack of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Comparative Reviews - or lack of Reply with quote

As an early adopter of GPS based systems, and a previous subscriber to your camera database, I am disappointed to find that you continue to fail to provide comparative reviews of available Sat Nav systems.
As a consumer, I find your indepth reviews of the latest devices interesting but ultimately useless as they almost always fail to be compared with alternative current (or forthcoming) products from other manufacturers.
Is this a policy that you intend to continue or are you prepared to use your undoubted experience in this field to offer value based comparative opinions?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We choose not to publish direct comparisons because they are are so subjective as to be of little use. The personal preferences of the reviewer will unavoidably come into play.

It is also very difficult for us to secure comparable units from manufacturers at the same time with which to offer any direct comparisons let alone the complexity of doing so.

Yes, printed media offer comparison on many occasions but their comments and findings are often complete rubbish. On many occasions we know that 'mega tests' and similar comparison reviews of systems e.g. 'Budget GPS' have not even involved direct handling of the units at all, merely a photo call for the images to be obtained and then a swift re-hash of PR info. That is not what we are about.

If you want advice on choosing a GPS, the best advice is to post your requirements, budget etc and perhaps a short list of those units that you think meet your needs. WE (and other users) can then post our opinions.

Edited to correct grammar error!

Last edited by Darren on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw this last night, I held back from commenting, because I'm not part of the Staff and not involved in the reviews.

But Darren has said exactly what I felt. I read the reviews to see how things work and their functionality. But whilst I would value the opinions of others, I would still want to carry out my own comparisons, because I have my own preferences. I'm a TomTom user and when I consider the only occasion when I tried a Garmin, I was so dissatisfied with it, I wouldn't trust myself to attempt a comparison review for fear of putting someone off it - there are lots of Garmin users out there (and many other makes) - personally I can't understand why they are so daft. Wouldn't make a comparison review very useful, would it?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daft, Dennis? i think I resemble that remark Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Daft, Dennis? i think I resemble that remark Laughing

Comparative review of our avatars? Says it all! Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a well written comparison between Garmin and TomTom devices written at the start of This thread comparing a Nuvi 765T and a TomTom 730 by "lukehall"

Comparing devices or GPS related software on a PDA isn't easy as it takes a few weeks to gain a basic feel for a device/ application, after a week or two you will have found what you like/ dislike or possibly hate what someone else would actually want or might even like.

Running multiple devices in the same car is easy if they are all from the same manufacturer, put three different companies units in the same car and it simply doesn't work well at all. - Mike
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How true Mike. I've driven with three attached to my windshield the past two weeks. Very difficult to get a true feel for each with voices mixing and sometimes confusion as to which the stutter is coming from (all of them in reality) Rolling Eyes
And when I did my TT930 Garmin 760 review a few months ago, I came to the opposite conclusion of the review you linked. Probably the biggest reason is I started with Garmin and found flaw with TomTom missing features or things that didn't work the same way and thus "felt" awkward. Had I been accustomed to TomTom first I probably would have come to a different conclusion. Those accustomed to TomTom, or Mio, or Becker will find missing features in any other device they use. Different strokes . . . So I would agree, comparative reviews need always be taken with a grain of salt. What's best for my use may not be at all suitable for yours.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: