Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon TMC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Navigon TMC Reply with quote

Couldn't resist teasing those that are waiting for it...My package is in the UK, they actually tried to deliver this morning but just missed them. Delivery is re-arranged for Wednesday, so delivery permitting I will have a full review after Easter...

Cheers,

Jean-Paul
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to that Thumbs Up
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Game on! Reply with quote

The package has arrived today! So finally game on for the review. The bad news is that I am still in Liverpool today so won't get my hands on it until tomorrow night....

The review of the only PDA TMC compatible nagivation software with UK maps will be here shortly over easter....

Still had a little hickup with the courier UPS today. My wife got the cash out for the driver as they told us they accept cash only last Monday. They gave us the value in UK pounds. Today the driver said (another driver) he could only accept Euro's! Figure that. After some conversations with the head office they requested a cheque made out in Euro's. Never realised you can do that....Ah well finally got the product, can't wait to see whether TMC works in the UK using Navigon....
PhuPhyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Game on! Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
Never realised you can do that....Ah well finally got the product, can't wait to see whether TMC works in the UK using Navigon....

Anything new on this topic ? Does it work or didnt you get any signals ?
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works perfectly....So far I have been in the UK, France, Belgium and Holland....Picks up the TMC signals and message and re-routes without any problems....Really good and can recommend it.

I am of soon to Italy so I will try it in Germany, Switzerland and Italy as well.....
PhuPhyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
Works perfectly....So far I have been in the UK, France, Belgium and Holland....Picks up the TMC signals and message and re-routes without any problems....Really good and can recommend it.

I am of soon to Italy so I will try it in Germany, Switzerland and Italy as well.....

Sounds just perfect, must have one myself, and get rid of the crappy TomTom3 with there weird traffic. (which isnt even available for denmark)

Pffff. Smile

Nice to hear you enjoy ya new software Smile
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm very much mistaken, in the UK, TomTom Traffic is using the ITIS data - and ITIS are the data provider for the traffic data on RDS-TMC. You'll get the same traffic information (which I think everyone agrees is not of the same quality as Trafficmaster's) - just via a different route.

David
PhuPhyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Unless I'm very much mistaken, in the UK, TomTom Traffic is using the ITIS data - and ITIS are the data provider for the traffic data on RDS-TMC. You'll get the same traffic information (which I think everyone agrees is not of the same quality as Trafficmaster's) - just via a different route.
David

Well i´m located in Denmark and ITIS doesnt do much here.

TomTom is purely thinking money here, charging subscribers to pay for a freely distributed service (at least here in Denmark i think)

What makes me annoyed is that TomTom chooses their traffic messages via gprs instead of supporting normal RDS-TMC signals instead, they could at least provide the option for BOTH, instead of the awkward answer i got from them
TomTom Support wrote:
Our emgineers believe the GPRS solution is more flexible than other methodologies and faster.
(spell mistakes not mine, i copied it directly from their email)

Now if thats right, i wonder why the other navigation systems still uses the good old RDS-TMC, when TomTom´s gprs way is much faster ?

Btw TMC provided here in demark is done by Danish Road Directorate. http://www.trafikken.dk/wimpdocen.asp?page=document&objno=19005
dont worry above link is in english Smile

I don´t know how ITIS works, but seems to me that it might be the same as our above Danish Road Directorate.

kind regards.
René
PhuPhyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Navigon | 4 review Reply with quote

Forgot to ask you dejongj, any update on that review of Navigon | 4 ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: