Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Oregon 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Oregon 300
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
captain_paranoia wrote:

Can you find a way of making the map image align to grid North?

I bet it's aligned to WGS84 grid north !

Please follow on Phil and give me a clue!
captain_paranoia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I bet it's aligned to WGS84 grid north !"

Possible, but their demo screen shots appear to show the mapping aligned to OSGB grid. Which I'd suggest is kinda sensible...

I'm afraid I have no experience of using the device (and very little in using other handheld GSP devices). But I currently work in the field of satellite navigation (just not with handhelds), and have also worked on JPEG video transmission systems. So my experience is hopefully useful...
captain_paranoia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The whole discoverer image on the SD card containg five different map scales comes to 416,144Mb!"

Does the comma indicate a decimal point, is a thousands separator? i.e. is it 417MB or 416GB?

Because I can't see 416GB fitting on any currently available SD card...

So, I'm going to assume that it's 417MB. Which really isn't very much if it's covering the whole UK at 1:25k (see my figures above). And I'd expect that to be very, very expensive, around £10k. Maybe that's why it's crunched so much, so that it's next to useless for any other purpose...

Sorry to bang on, but does it provide full UK 1:25k coverage?

As for the North Reference selection; try selecting Grid North.

Multimap presents non-OSGB Grid alinged maps, too. I wonder...

Streetmap is OSGB aligned:
captain_paranoia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As for the North Reference selection; try selecting Grid North. "

You need to make sure your unit it set up to use OSGB Grid. But you've probably done that; does it present OSGB grid refs, or Lat/long for position?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain_paranoia wrote:
Sorry to bang on, but does it provide full UK 1:25k coverage?

eyeQue wrote:
The 1:25 & 1:50 covers only the Pembrokeshire & Brecon National Parks.

Garmin do not offer full coverage as yet, only some National Parks. See the coverage here.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, typo error - 416,144kb for all that I bought - Pembrokeshire and Brecon National Parks @ 1:25 & 1:50 and the whole of the UK at the three other levels. Cost £120 approx.

As Darren has pointed out the UK is split up into National Parks not the whole UK.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Streetmap is OSGB aligned
as is Fugawi on my PC.
Quote:
But the Multimap presents non-OSGB Grid alinged maps
and is identical in my opinion to the Garmin Discoverer.

So we have been trying to emulate the OSGB aligned instead of the Multi-Map!!

I have tried most options you have suggested but I cannot improve the view.
It needs perhaps another member to try on their unit.

Thank you for your input CP and Darren.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeQue wrote:
philpugh wrote:
captain_paranoia wrote:

Can you find a way of making the map image align to grid North?

I bet it's aligned to WGS84 grid north !

Please follow on Phil and give me a clue!

The "North" lines on an OSGB map are not aligned with lines of Longtitude(the north-south lines) on a WSG84 grid. Its mostly down to the way the OS chose their datum, co-ord system and the fact that they weren't interested in a whole world mapping system - just one that worked very well for the UK.

I would have expected that "North up" would have the grid lines correctly "up and down" as this is the way you would use the paper map equivalent. Does changing the datum/grid settings from WGS84 to OSGB change anything?

Things like this never used to matter when all you had was a compass and a paper map that showed you the magnetic deviation to allow you to calculate where true North was Laughing
Botton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Post subject: Over-compressed mapping image data? Reply with quote

Here are some figures.

Garnin GB Discoverer Yorkshire Dales takes 415Mbytes of 1G SD card includes about 683sq miles. CNE 2008 for main central European countries (France & around) when copied to Mapsource to SD card takes 550Mb..

They should not be pushed for memory storage CNE 2008 is on a 4G card.

I have a Colorado I hope that is updated soon.

On Colorado through Setup - Heading - you can chose True, Magnetic, Grid, User. I could not detect any movement of the map ( I was in doors)?

The screen is blurred above 1.2mi & below 120ft with Dales Discoverer maps. Above 2mi it might as well show roads.

I think the most pressing problem is not being able to see the Discoverer map in Mapsource to be able to plan routes & way points to download to Colorado or Oregon.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On Colorado through Setup - Heading - you can chose True, Magnetic, Grid, User. I could not detect any movement of the map ( I was in doors)?

Thank you Botton.
I have been tearing my hair out trying all the Options and cannot detect any movement in the map.

With OSGB Option:-
Here is a screenshot with track up and a bearing of 360.

Here is a screenshot with north up

captain_paranoia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 'track up' view is interesting; it shows that the unit is re-projecting (well, rotating at least) on the fly.

I was discussing this topic with my colleagues at lunchtime, and we decided that Garmin have, like Multimap, re-projected the data from OSGB to WGS84 grid, so that it aligns with their other global mapping solutions (e.g. road network).

This is a compromise decision, and must mean that Garmin have chosen to project all mapping to WGS84 grid, wherever in the world it is. At first I thought this an unreasonable approach, as it would have been fairly straightforward to re-project any WGS84-based vector mapping data (e.g. road network) to the selected local grid (e.g. OSGB). There's a lot less data to re-project than if you have to re-project the raster mapping images (i.e. it's a feasible task on a little handheld GPS).

Then I realised that you'd have to tie the machine to the local grid used for the mapping. Which you might not want to do.

The raster mapping images can be re-projected off the machine (by Garmin, before distribution); doing this on-the-fly on a handheld GPS would have been pretty taxing of the CPU...

Since the example screenshots on the Garmin website show gridlines apparently aligned perfectly, I suspect that they're synthetic; i.e. they're not real screenshots. It would be interesting to get Garmin to comment on this...

Thanks for the clarifications on data set sizes and 1:25k coverage. 420MB isn't unreasonable for 1:50k UK mapping. Judging by the improvements with the new software, it looks like the problem was with poor re-scaling filters, rather than poor raster images. The updated software images look like they've made considerable improvements. Maybe they'll continue to improve as they learn how to write re-scaling algorithms properly...

Last edited by captain_paranoia on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
captain_paranoia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"420MB isn't unreasonable for 1:50k UK mapping"

Oops; need to read posts more carefully... 420MB is for the two NPs at 1:25k and 1:50k. I'd have to think about how much data I'd expect for that. But it doesn't sound unreasonable.
captain_paranoia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another look at the screenshots on Garmin's websites, and I now notice that the one I looked at in detail just happens to be somewhere where OSGB and WGS84 grid Norths align nicely.

The other images show the re-projection to WGS84.

So I conclude that the images are genuine screen shots.

ps. thanks to the kind person who re-worked my long URLs to nice clicky links; must play with the formatting buttons to get the hang of this forum.
empee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Have an Oregon 400 since Christmas and looking to get UK Memory map type coverage onto it. When I chose it I was under the impression that OS were about to release OS maps suitable for it. Been following this thread for some time - much of it too technical for me but from what I can gather there is as yet no reliable UK wide 250,000 scale maps available.
Will this change with the mentioned February update?
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have missed the fact that 'UK wide 250,000 scale maps' are in each card already available.

http://www.maps-warehouse.co.uk/garmin-discoverer-1-25.html

Each card contains :
    1:25,000 OS mapping for the area selected
    1:50,000 OS mapping for the area selected
    1:250,000 GB basemaps
    1: 1,100,000 GB basemaps
    Full Navteq Road Network for all of GB
    Address Database for all of GB
    POI Database for all of GB
    Turn by Turn navigation (signed not audio) + POI navigation

In your Oregon you have already the TOPO for Europe and more!

In my Oregon I turned off all Maps except Discoverer to produce the screenshots below. I moved out of the Pembrokeshire and Brecon National Parks as I have posted plenty of 25k and 50k screenshots. So outside those two areas get:-

Notice from Zoom levels up to .5miles you get normal CityNavigator autorouting maps but at .8miles the Discoverer now 'overlays' the CityNavigator maps until the 1: 1,100,000 GB basemap appears at 5miles.

The Firmware upgrade in February may improve what I already have, v2.85Beta did, but I did not know any new OS maps were due!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: