Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new snooper sirius truckmate (HGV)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new snooper sirius truckmate (HGV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HytheMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: New Update End November 08 Reply with quote

Hi guy's, as from my title i have had an update, the most resent one to date, i have had 2 updates since buying early part of this year, to be honest i still don't feel this system is workable for HGV's, i did a route from hilton park services on M6 south to Frieghtliners Landor street Birmingham about a 45min drive, it couldn't route me, this is a straight forward route, because it is by a low bridge, i had to set it to car then it would route me but from the opposite side of the bridge through a housing estate, then when i tried route myself back out it again could route me, this system is total crap in big cities, i have had problems in London Birmingham Manchester ect, the speed cameras are giving false road speeds 40 in a 50, the bridge alerts are wrong, if you come to a 14'6" bridge it alerts you at 14', this bridge may not be on your route either, also it alerts you if you go over bridge, a lot of road names are miss, specially in industrial areas, post code service areas speed cameras and all other alerts are very hit and miss, customer services are total crap just fog you off, they are not interested once drought, at the mo i give this system 4/5.
dopey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just ordered one, im hoping things have got better now, at the end of the day there's nothing out there for LGVs so here's hoping

The price (for the cheapest on, that i have ordered is £250) with lifetime free updates (including cameras) it says in the bumph there using new software NAVTEQ?

Well i will keep you updated when i give it a try, see if there's any improvement on what you guys are having problems with

Just a thought on 2 things you guys are having problems with

1 speed cameras
It will only warn you if you are approaching the upper speed limit so if your doing say 40mph in a 50mph and approach a cam, then it wont tell you because your going under the limit by a good 10mph so there's no point (my navman will do this too)

If your driving a LGV in a 50mph road, you SHOULD be driving at 40mph maybe that's why its telling you to slow down??? just a though!!
dopey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i got it and have used it a few time, the good points are that the camera database is the best i have seen and used its spot on, even in roadworks it seems to be up to date

But i need some advice please

It seems to be routing me around the long way on routes i know i can use,

i have a 6 wheel 18T (LGV class 2 licence) with a Hi-ab i put in 18T & 12" 6' high (i added 3 extra inch for safety) and 8" 3' wide

What am i doing wrong, and how do i set it up right?

Any advice and help i would be greatfull

I will do a proper right up when i get the ting set up right thanks guys
HytheMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Height Settings Reply with quote

Hi all again, just a little warning i think dopey has just found out, the height setting dont work, if you put a height in it, it will steer you around all low bridges, even the 1's that you can get under, if you use dartford tunnel like i do then it will not route you though it, even if your under height, i think i put this on one of my replies, and as for speed cameras just go careful they are not all on there 1 road i us the a27 east of littlehampton the speed cmeras are missing, also as some of the postcodes are very hit or miss i sometime try and find the road by zooming in on an area, and the motorway junctions are not labeled (J1 ect) just comes up ramp or unnamed road, this can be very annoying
dopey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, i found most of the bridges (when you don't take any notice of the thing) the hight are wrong, it was saying (this is just one example) the hight is 11' and the actual hight is 13' 9" but i found a lot like this, being the wrong hight

As for missing cameras its up to users to report them (so they can then add them to the database)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this product that is designed for HGV drivers has an inaccurate bridge heights database AND poor cameras, hardly a ringing endorsement is it!

Inaccurate cameras I can understand even though it is poor but incorrect bridge height data is inexcusable.
dopey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the cameras ok myself (i mostly drive in and around London) if a camera isn't in the database you can add it to your sat nav yourself (there is a function to do this) and you can put what speed the restriction is, and the direction of the camera, and what type it is etc
HytheMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Not When Driving i Hope Reply with quote

Hi Again, you guys adding speed cameras, i hope this is not when you are driving as this is illegal, and as for reporting them, i have a number of time, and they are never added and i dont even get a reply from them, what i cant understand is there are databases out there for speed cameras bridges heights (BridgeX) ect, BridgeX is now up to 31000 +, why do they not us these, then they might concentrate on getting the software right, a system like this needs feed back from drivers (For Roads and Routing) and to be updated regularly, this could be a very good piece of kit, but they seem not interested once sold, this will be its down fall, unless they are bringing another system out for trucks, then where does that leave us, i hope im wrong, but why is customer service total crap, when i ring them all i get is this will be in the next update, guess what its not.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Not When Driving i Hope Reply with quote

HytheMan wrote:
what i cant understand is there are databases out there for speed cameras bridges heights (BridgeX) ect, BridgeX is now up to 31000 +, why do they not us these, then they might concentrate on getting the software right, a system like this needs feed back from drivers

cost-cutting? or maybe that if they did manage to get a deal with the data-owners they may be worried that the price could suddenly rise and they would either have to 'lose' the feature or pay more (and hence not mak as much money)?

you could also ask the same of companies who start their own speed camera databases (eg tomtom) - why not just pay to use an existing one and then concentrate on making a navigation device actually navigate efficiently!!

MaFt
dopey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, on customer services tbh i cant fault them, the cradle wouldn't stick to the screen (the silicone sucker had a crease in it) they sent me one the next day in the post

I also had a problem with the touch screen (it wouldn't function) and they replace the whole unit. i got it within 5 days (over the xmass holidays) but in time to use it back at work

So on that front good C/S for sure, and that's what makes me go back and buy again
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading the reviews on this product for nearly a year now & from what i can gather my normal Tomtom would do near enough the same job with a little input ?. I really would like a Sat nav fit for an Artic but it seems snooper is still not up to the job Sad
I have just looked back at the views this thread has had 4000 plus Shocked I just cant believe after all this time none of the leading sat nav firms have taken on board a decent truck sat nav Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're reviewing Navevo's ProNav currently. Alex our resident trucker has it so we should have his opinions shortly.
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We're reviewing Navevo's ProNav currently. Alex our resident trucker has it so we should have his opinions shortly.

Wink
HytheMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Just a little update, i went to a place in bristol the other day, i noticed using google maps that there was a low bridge 9'6"high half way alone this road, not knowing what side of the bridge i needed i tired to route to both side but it would only route to 1 side, so i thought find out when i get there, well it routed me to the wrong side, getting direction from there and setting truckmate to route me to the other side, it just wanted me to go under the bridge and i was 14'6" high, so i started on my way and truckmate just kept telling me to turn around, getting to the other side there was a weight limit on the road i wanted but access was available, seems like truckmate treats weight limits as low bridges and low bridges as weight limits, i cant get under a bridge snooper but i can go though a weight limit seem logical to me but not snooper i think, yes im getting very p****d o** with truckmate, lets hope the next update cures these problems, not holding my breath though.
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cant see how hard it is to make a truck sat nav that works ? As long as the sat nav only uses classifids roads (A & B roads & motorways) to get as close to the destination as possible & then I surpose its down to you what roads are wide enough. I normally look for a bus stop down a side road before I turn in to it , basically if a bus can get down there so can I Laughing
Also there seems to be enough info regarding low bridges & weight limits etc , So weres the problem Rolling Eyes .
Going to stick with my tomtom I think Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: