Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 530 - unit thinks its 200m to the side
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 530 - unit thinks its 200m to the side
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 530 - unit thinks its 200m to the side Reply with quote

Just travelled from Beverley to Leeds and getting to A64 it started to put the car icon approx 200m to the right of where we actually were, this carried on to Leeds city centre and back again on the way home, it then started going back to normal when we got closer to Beverley about when we joined the A64.

Is this a satellite problem? Is it my unit? Can anyone help as this is the 3rd 530 i've had now!

Thanks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get this with my TT710 - for no apparent reason and whether it was connected to the charger or not.
A soft reset used to solve the problem - until next time.

I would like to be able to say it would happen more often after I had been messing around with it - like updating/backing up etc - but that was not the case.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a satellite or an ionospheric problem, rather than your setup. I remember experiencing the same thing on a journey when I was using TomTom in a PDA. I also had CoPilot so switched to that and had the same error. But it was fine the next day

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i had it in the back of my head that it may be (or rather hoped) atmospheric, just had a word with comet and they need me to sit down with my tomtom hooked up to my pc and speak to tomtom and then when they give me a ref no. they can swap out! The're open 8-4 and i and the missus work 7.30 to 4.10! Great!!
gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar thing when I had a origin b2 once aswell. Going down the A3 it started alerting me to the speed cameras practically as I passed them rather than 10 seconds before so I suspect it might be a similar issue.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyimace wrote:
Thanks guys, i had it in the back of my head that it may be (or rather hoped) atmospheric, just had a word with comet and they need me to sit down with my tomtom hooked up to my pc and speak to tomtom and then when they give me a ref no. they can swap out! The're open 8-4 and i and the missus work 7.30 to 4.10! Great!!
If you are decided to go for a replacement, do NOT take that rubbish from Comet. Tell THEM they can sit down with your TomTom connected to a PC and speak to TomTom - what sort of customer after sales service is that if it means YOU do all the service? Tell 'em you'll bring it in, they can give you a new one and then do whatever they like with the old one.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned my 720 on at home today and it put me in the next street. It happened to me a few months ago and there were a lot of posts saying their devices were out as well. So It may not be a problem with the devices.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to me occasionally and it seems to be down to a duff GPSQuickfix file or a bug that messes up the calculations for a while.

You can tell if it is the same thing because it isn't a 'lag', but an offset in a certain compass direction. So depending in which direction you're travelling, it is either slightly ahead or behind OR it actually tries to run parallel to the road you are actually on. Because the software always tries to snap you onto a road, this can be difficult to spot unless you can find a stretch of road with another road running close by.

Usually it slowly corrects itself over an hour or so, but I once had it for a few days.... long enough to be about to send the unit for repair, when it suddenly sorted itself out.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was another problem I had with my 720 a while ago. It was always either behind, to the right or both. I contacted tomtom and they said it would have been a software problem, and while I was on the phone talked me through what to do, but I can't remember what I had to do now. I think I had to uninstall everything and renistall. Any way it did cure the problem.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I suspect the problem went away by itself while they were geting you to do that....

About a year ago I seemed to get it every evening on the way home from work for about a week. I would start the journey about 200yards off, and over about 1/2 an hour it would slowly improve, untill it was about right again by the time I got home.
Then as I said above, I got an episode for about a week.
I'd not seen it for ages and thought they'd fixed it until these recent reports started coming in, and I noticed yesterday that a speed camera position that I'd marked as a favourite while sitting next to it in heavy traffic, had appeared on the map about 100 yards off-road.
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will test it out again soon, bit miffed about it all really
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Hmmm... I suspect the problem went away by itself while they were geting you to do that....

About a year ago I seemed to get it every evening on the way home from work for about a week. I would start the journey about 200yards off, and over about 1/2 an hour it would slowly improve, untill it was about right again by the time I got home.
Then as I said above, I got an episode for about a week.
I'd not seen it for ages and thought they'd fixed it until these recent reports started coming in, and I noticed yesterday that a speed camera position that I'd marked as a favourite while sitting next to it in heavy traffic, had appeared on the map about 100 yards off-road.

Andy, I think This thread was around about the last time it happened.
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, seems to be working now, will give tomtom a ring next thursday when i'm off just to make sure.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could also try REMOVING the current one (empty the "ephem" foder on the device and the "ephemeris" folder on the PC's Home downloads.

I never got a definite handle on how to stop it, but not using the Quickfix certainly seemed to help.
boyimace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok will try that, I need my device to be as reliable as my original tomtom go!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: