Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Syson Chip CF receiver Issue on hx2490 + Com port open error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Syson Chip CF receiver Issue on hx2490 + Com port open error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithdt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Syson Chip CF receiver Issue on hx2490 + Com port open error Reply with quote

HI all
I'm new to this forum (as well as PDA's and GPS)and need some advice if you can spare the time.

I have an Ipaq Hx2490b, running TT6 and a new SysOn chip Compact flash GPS receiver. I had it working Ok, but now it's not!
I need help on 2 issues. 1 - a COM Port Open Error & 2 - The CF card not talking to TT6.
I've soft reset a few times and even did a hard reset, but nothing works.

I think it's something to do with the COM port setup.

The Syson chip GPS viewer program defaults to COM7, but using SK tools registry Explorer I notice the CF card is actually in COM6. But now I can't make it use COM6 due to the "COM Port open Error" I'm getting.

I did have it using COM6 recently and it worked OK but even then I couldn't get the CF to talk to TT6.

Thanks in advance
David
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the GPS management applet (or External GPS or whatever they are calling it now) running? This is the usual problem. Disable this - it can be found in the Settings/System/External GPS (on my WM6.0 AXIM).
The third tab allows you to turn it off. TomTom has a history of not liking this particular piece of Windows s/w.

COM7: is the usual default for additional serial devices - so that bit seems to be working

Also remember to EXIT any program using the GPS - using the 'X' at the top RHS of the window will NOT work - and will usually ensure the GPS is unavailable for other applications. However a reset will clear this condition.

It may be best to remove (de-install) the GPS device from the PDA and start from scratch.
smithdt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philpugh.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I do have the GPS icon in settings/system but the third tab only gives the option to "manage GPS automatically (Recommended)". I've currently unchecked this option but I can still select different COM ports of the software and Hardware so I don't think it's disabled the applet.

You say COM7 is usual default, But I explained that the CF card is only visible in the COM6 port (using PHM device manager). Some additional info on this - The Device Driver in COM6 is "modem.dll" which helps to explain why I was asked to set up an internet connection when I first plugged the CF card in.

Is it possible to change the COM port intself, so the CF slot points to COM7

The SysOn Chip viewer program is not visible in "running programs" after it's closed using the "X".
I've done a number of soft reset and 1 complete reset where I had to re-install everything I loaded on the PDA since it was new.

Also (not mentioned in my first post) with TT6 running and in "GPS status" I configure the "other NMEA GPS receiver" then correct baud rate and the SysOnChip CF card is visible in the list of ports to chose from.
All but 3 ports are identified with their respective numbers.

The list is as follows:
SysOnChip SysOn_GPS_CF (which I normally select)
USB cable:
COM3:
Serial Cable on BTUART:
COM2:
Serial Cable on COM1:
Bluetooth Serial Port COM5:
Bluetooth Serial Port COM8:

I've confirm that COM6 is the CF card slot (using PHM device manager)
This leaves 4 & 7. According to PHM COM4 doesn't exist. COM7 is the Serial Cable on BTUART.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be safe with the GPS manager. Set the option in the first two tabs to NONE. Leave the third tab as NOT auto managed. Then soft-reset the device

OK COM6 is an alternative option for the device as well - but I've only seen it offered as default on the older WM5 style devices. When I upgraded my Axim from 5 to 6.0 the change to COM7 certainly happened.

Once you have installed the basic device did you create the New Incoming Serial Port for the device? If so - this is the one you should be using for ALL GPS related s/w. If not you need to do this.

You may want to download a WM based GPS test program - Google for them - many manufacturer's often supply them. This will allow you to see basic info (like it's connected, receiving data, show you the data streams...)

Is the SysOn device configured for SiRF protocols? If so you may try to set it to use NMEA to see if it makes a difference.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First correction to above note. It should be

NEW OUTGOING SERIAL PORT (not Incoming)

Also - meant to include this before...

MY device choices on my AXIM V6.0 device are...

COM3:
BT UART on COM5:
Serial Cable on COM1:
COM7:

COM7: is the Outgoing Serial Port I was offered when i paired the BT GPS units. This is what my GPS software (eg MemoryMap) uses.
smithdt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again Philpugh & thanks again.

Ok. I've done the first part.

I can send you an email with screen shots of my Hx2490b if you like but when the SysOnChip CF card is plugged in it's visible under COM6. When it's not plugged in COM6 is not visible.
SysOnChip recommend COM7 on their quick reference manual, but my PDA is not specifically mentioned. The web site does advise that a Hx2410 uses COM4.
I'm happy to use COM7 as "almost" suggested by the Cf card manufacturer, (if fact I've tried all the PORTS available) but if the Cf card is coming up in COM6 what would be the point?

When I first installed the card (the 1st time) I was asked to create a new connection to the internet. the same thing happened after I did a factory reset and installed the card again. I'm pretty sure I got rid of this message a different way the 2nd time.

The card came with a "viewer program" which gives (should give) very basic data like Long/Lat, speed etc.. in text form, so would this be like the GPS test program who mentioned?
I had trouble getting this to work from day 1, but was still able to get a signal using TT6. This is the really annoying thing - it was working fine, but I had to take the SysOn device out of the PDA for about 2 weeks and in that time I don't recall doing any more than a few soft resets. When I put it back in I got a signal, but all the satellites were lines up in row facing north and then I got nothing. Very strange

The SysOn device is capable of both, both it's default setting is NMEA and the process to change to SiRF is pretty involved so it's not something that can done by accident.

Th ereally anno

I've emailed SysOnChip about this problem (They seem willing to help...at this stage at least) and it turns out that the person I'm in contact with actually uses the same PDA as me..so he says. So, if true, I'll be able to compare COM port info and other settings.

sorry for the long reply Phil. Thank you again and if you have any other ideas or things I should be checking please let me know.

cheers

David
smithdt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

Re you second message tonite (I saw it after I sent my first reply tonite).

I do not have the option to select "New Outgoing serial port" or Incoming ... for that matter.

The GPS manager (found in Settings/System) only asks for a SOFTWARE and HARDWARE port number.

Likewise, on TT6 there is no choice in the configuration screen. I'm given a list of COM ports and the SysOn device is on that list.

cheers
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outgoing port only applies to BT devices - sorry for that.

I had a CF GPS once for an old iPaq running W2003. When I upgraded to my DELL it never did work relaibly - but that was due to lack of driver support fior WM5 as the company went out of business.

It kept asking for Internet connections - this is because it is seen by Windows as a serial device - therefore it must connect to the internet! I just kept cancelling it using the the "X" (Close Window) box on the pop-up.

You need to be able to get it to work reliably with the supplied test software first. You have already done one hard reset but you mentioned you got rid of the pop-up message a different way - can you do it again and try your first method.

Another check is on TTN's GPS status screen you will have the little Black and Yellow disc. If it is spinning then TTN has established a connection to the comm port and is awaiting valid signals. If it's not spinning then it's not connecting to the GPS device which indicates there is a problem with Windows and your GPS device.

The bad news is that I never did get my CF GPS working reliably with WM5 (or 6) so I went for a BT device. You get better battery life on the PDA that way also.
smithdt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
I've confirmed with SysOnChip that this unit does NOT need drivers and, from surfing a lot of forums, that simply clicking "Dismiss" when asked to establish a connect works ok.
The last time I got any form of connection with TT (and the viewer program) all the satellites were lined up in a row (towards the north!) which was strange. This may have been caused by the unit starting to fail rather than an issue with the PDA itself. The Yellow and Black circle in TT does not spin at all. It did when I was receiving signals, but not any more.
I've also tested in another Hx2490 unit today- with the same result

I've now mentioned to SysOnChip that I would like to exchange this unit, so I'll wait to see if they come to party. The only problem with this is I have to return it to Korea (from Australia).
If all else fails I'll go the BT option like you suggest, at least there are resellers close to me and they are pretty cheap...

Again, thank you for all your suggestions and time on this one. I'll keep you posted.
Best regards

David
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a quick check on the web.
What version SysOn do you have (SiRF II or III)
What OS are you running on the 2490 (It came with either 2003SE or WM5)

Can you access the on-card memory on the GPS card?

Although not the same as my old CF card it's bringing back some memories! I note that SysOn do specifically exclude the AXIM X51v and WM5 - the PDA I had when I couldn't get mine to work.

If you are on 2003SE did you install the drivers? Did these show any problems. The SysOn site is very lacking in info on getting them to work with WM5 (and don't mention WM6).

You may want to look at this very old post . It concerns the HAICOM CF device (the one I had) and troubles getting that working on some devices.
smithdt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

I have the SysOn GPS CF PLUS III. Model SOC2S04. It's not the one with onboard memory.
OS is Windows CE 5

I'm aware of the warnings from SysOn about WM5, however the unit did work for approx 3 weeks after I first installed it. Wouldn't this indicate that the unit is compatible with WM5? Or is this way compatibility issues manifest themselves - work for a while then not work?

I just read the link you posted - very interesting. Although TT web site does provide instructions for setting up a CF GPS receiver for TT5.

I'm now asking TomTom about support for CF cards.

One would think that after almost 3 years they (SysOn and Tom Tom) would have sorted their products sorted....maybe too much to expect.

Thanks Phil
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithdt wrote:

I'm aware of the warnings from SysOn about WM5, however the unit did work for approx 3 weeks after I first installed it. Wouldn't this indicate that the unit is compatible with WM5? Or is this way compatibility issues manifest themselves - work for a while then not work?

One of the ways it shows is the intermittent 'working/not working'. This is what happened when I put my card into the AXIM. After a few weeks I gave up and bought the BT GPS receiver Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: