Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK Mobile Device Navigation Acceptance Growing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Mobile Device Navigation Acceptance Growing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: UK Mobile Device Navigation Acceptance Growing Reply with quote

Telmap GPSResearch firm Strategy Analytics say that acceptance of mobile device-based navigation applications is growing among consumers in the UK.

According to their report, "UK Navigation: Mobile Devices Can Compete With PNDs", as touchscreen-enabled mobile devices become common, more of us will be drawn to mobile devices for their GPS navigation.

Senior Analyst for Strategy Analytics, Chris Schreiner, says "Research shows that navigation services on mobile devices can compete with personal navigation devices (PNDs), provided that they are optimally designed. All participants who evaluated Telmap Navigator preferred it to the TomTom GO 920 and Garmin nüvi 710."

However, the two main factors reported as holding back the speedier adoption of mobile device-based navigation solutions are the display size and traditional 12 key keypads.

Mr. Schreiner added "Owners of PNDs prefer the large display and ease of text input, while owners of navigation applications on mobile devices prefer an integrated solution and portability."

The findings are based on in-depth one-on-one research sessions in which consumers experienced TomTom GO 920 and Garmin nüvi 710 GPS devices as well as Nokia Maps and Vodafone Navigator.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean that someone actually commissioned a report into whether PNDs were going to be more popular that the all-in-one PDA/Phone/Mobile Devices that've been out for ages now?

Ye gods.

Why on earth didn't Strategy Analytics come over here first, and save a bundle of money? Twisted Evil
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Maybe TomTom need a copy as their failure to update has forced me and others away from the PDA / Phone version of Navigator onto a Go PND. Rolling Eyes
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: UK Mobile Device Navigation Acceptance Growing Reply with quote

wrote:

However, the two main factors reported as holding back the speedier adoption of mobile device-based navigation solutions are the display size and traditional 12 key keypads..

I think the main thing holding back greater adoption is the software vendors' apparent lack of interest in providing support for this market sector. For a couple of years now TomTom seem to have totally lost interest in this market. I sent an email to Route 66 asking whether their software would work on my Nokia N85 and they didn't even bother to reply. I have also previously been disappointed with support from CoPilot. With a bit of fiddling I am able to use an old version of TomTom, but not with the built in GPS receiver. The only Satnav programs which seem to work easily with phones that have a built in receiver are on-line ones such as Nokia Maps, or Google Earth, but I prefer to use something which won't let me down when network coverage is poor.
jheward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Route 66 Mobile 8 on my Nokia N82 and have to say I find it excellent. It is very quick and responsive, the maps are good when compared to other Satnav maps and for £35 it was a bargain.

I would never go back to a standalone GPS now. The portability of having GPS on your phone is amazing. As for the nokia N82, it is a great phone for GPS. Excellent 5MP camera, built in wifi, good music and video player. It does everything I could wish for.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press release from Telmap received today..

Release summary: A new report from UK analyst firm Strategy Analytics has cited Telmap, a global leader in mobile search, mapping and navigation solutions, as users’ preferred navigation solution above competitors Nokia Maps, Garmin and TomTom. The report also revealed that more consumers are ready to adopt mobile navigation in the UK in preference to the in-car PND.

Telmap wrote:
Telmap is first choice for users versus Nokia, Garmin and TomTom

London, 13th January, 2009: A new report from UK analyst firm Strategy Analytics has cited Telmap, a global leader in mobile search, mapping and navigation solutions, as users’ preferred navigation solution above competitors Nokia Maps, Garmin and TomTom. The report also revealed that more consumers are ready to adopt mobile navigation in the UK in preference to the in-car PND.

Highlights from the report revealed:
Preferred solution - Telmap Navigator was the preferred navigation service compared to the TomTom GP 920 and Garmin nüvi710

Better search - Telmap Navigator scored highly when searching general destinations and local points of interest

Usability - Telmap Navigator and Garmin’s nüvi710 excelled at local search functionality owing to the ease of the user interface. Users found Telmap Navigator to be the fastest when searching and mapping (with an average of 1.2 clicks), which was fewer than either PND tested. Users cited Telmap’s ease of use and speed of searching general destinations and local points of interest as significant benefits over the competing products.

Comment from Oren Nissim, CEO, Telmap
“The report is testament to all our hard work these past few years in providing the most advanced mobile navigation experience in the market – whether that is versus PNDs or competing products such as Nokia Maps, Telmap is committed to lead, innovate and provide the best experience in search, mapping and navigation on mobile phones.

Telmap will make a number of exciting announcements at Mobile World Congress in February that will further reinforce how we are shaping the curve in navigation with the most advanced technologies to offer personalised and location based experiences.”

Our customers:
Telmap is the global provider of choice in mobile navigation for operators having garnered strategic partnerships with worldwide mobile operators/OEMs, Orange FT Group, Vodafone, SFR, The Carphone Warehouse, O2, AOL MapQuest, Sprint, ATT, and Vodacom.”

The Report:
This report is available to buy from http://www.strategyanalytics.com/

culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: mobile phone satnav vs dedicated PND Reply with quote

I've seen some examples of phones with navigation software being used by friends and am far from impressed, and it's not just the tiny-tiny screen and tiny multi-function keyboard either.

I think people are just trying to save money by cramming as much functionality into one device as possible. 'Jack of all trades but master of non' seems to sum up these mobile phone based packages.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. In my case, it was to prevent some low life from stealing a SatNav device I might accidentally leave in my car at some time - which is exactly what happened to my Navman unit a couple of years back (even though it was out of sight in the glove box).

So, I got a WM PDA/Phone with GPS capability (see signature block below), which guarantees that I never leave it in the car, as I'm required to be contactable 24/7, so need to have a phone within reach all the time.

It's also practical: Why carry TWO items (or even three, phone, PDA, and Bluetooth GPS receiver), when one will do the job, and with less bulk and weight?

But fine, if you want to carry a small warehouse of electronic kit with you, go right ahead Smile I prefer the one-item solution, personally Wink
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: mobile phone satnav vs dedicated PND Reply with quote

culzean wrote:
I've seen some examples of phones with navigation software being used by friends and am far from impressed, and it's not just the tiny-tiny screen and tiny multi-function keyboard either.

I think people are just trying to save money by cramming as much functionality into one device as possible. 'Jack of all trades but master of non' seems to sum up these mobile phone based packages.

Not with my HTC Touch HD...running both TT and CoPilot happily.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss army knives are fine, but some prefer a small tool kit.

My Touch HD (and similar) is a computer with communications. Satnav is just the tip of an iceberg...and I like Swiss army knives Cool

In fairness to culzean who appears to be talking about the mars bar type phone, I too couldnt get on with my first dip into this arena and moved up after a few weeks.

Quote:
I think people are just trying to save money by cramming as much functionality into one device as possible.

Laughing Out Loud Not true of the HD, retails more than a netbook+phone+satnav+camera+mp3 player+rucksack.
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: mobile phone satnav vs dedicated pnd Reply with quote

I don't carry a load of electronics with me, but good as the camera on my mobile is, I still prefer my 'dedicated' Sony camera, as good as the software is on my mobile I still prefer my notebook PC. My Garmin Nuvi fits into most of my clothing pockets and I'm quite happy NOT to leave it in the car - especially under the seat or in the glovebox, which is the first place any respectable thief would look. I also stop just before my destination and take it off the windscreen before I park my car - anyone seen driving into a car park with a satnav on the screen is just asking for their car to be broken into - whether it is left in the car or not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: