Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Angel Navigator 9000 Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Angel Navigator 9000 Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Out of interest, what are your specific 'needs'?

A good question Smile

1. Accurate maps of complete country and the ability to generate sensible routes not taking you down stupid narrow lanes.

2. Display of complex junctions shown clearly on screen without error.

3. Good range of POI from locations to eat, petrol, accommodation and places to visit.

4. Avoid traffic jams

5. Accurate and easy to use entry of any UK address.

6. Warning of road hazards and advise you of safety cameras and if you are exceeding the speed limit.

7. Automatically always up to date maps, poi's and safety data and road speeds.

Can also have
1. Integrated music player.

2. Mobile phone hands free support.

HummerUK
zedder
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(@ HummerUK - where did you get it at that price?)

i've been considering getting a Navigator 9000 but would appreciate people's views.

I've currently got a TomTom v2 with update to date maps, PGPSW database and TomTom camera database on it.

However, there are some great advantages offered by the Navigator 9000 - HummerUK pointed out most - but i like the idea of realtime updates of cameras and travel, the tracking facility and receiving texts (although can they be sent directly to the unit or via their website only?).

From the sounds of it, the satnav isn't up to much and the GPS reception not too great - i suspect the TomTom One is probably better in that respect. But are there any other products that could suit? Have Road Angel addresses any of the problems with the product?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The near real-time traffic update and safety cameras are nearly its only good points.

Granted you can mark your own black spots for future auto reference.

But to do this you need another person or risk killing yourself as you have to be approaching the spot, doing more than 4 mph, on the correct screen (not while navigating a route) to mark any such hazard.

Navigation mode SUCKS with most roundabouts being shown in the advance graphic with all the exits shown bunched between the 7 & 12 position rather than their real positions e.g. 12,3,9 o'clock.

You can see this bug in the review on this website and image from that below. The required exit is at the 3o'clock position but the top left graphic advising you of the junction layout shows it at 11o'clock.

Route recalculation SUCKS and it seems to rather than re-calculate the whole route it tries to just get you back on the original one even when it is totally illogical.

The same applies if it tries to avoid a traffic jam either real or in it's imagination.

Dash board mount was okay but device now rattles making a sound like someone sending a morse code message.

Support, well that SUCKS also with no solutions offered to ANY problems.

Still, I suppose if anyone is stupid enough to steal it, one could use the tracking option to track it down Smile

My product scores are as follows...

2/10 for satnav functions
6/10 for traffic data
2/10 for dash mount
1/10 Roadangel support
2/10 User friendly menus
2/10 map accuracy
1/10 for value

I admit I still use it in the car but not to navigate, with it just on the map screen to warn of black spots, cameras (fixed & vans) and traffic.

I use my Garmin StreetPilot 2610 to navigate.

EDIT:
SMS can be sent direct to unit from a mobile (device has a number on the orange network). However you have to cancel navigation to read it and finding the menu to read it while driving again will likely cause you to crash!

HummerUK
Milemonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Sick as a pig..... Reply with quote

Hi.. I have just found this site and boy do I wish I had a few weeks earlier!
I have just bought a RA navigator 9000 and boy what a letdown.... Having used it for 2 weeks, I now hate it with a passion. At first I thought "it's new and I have to get used to it" but I can honestly say it is rubbish!!!!
It picks out some strange routes.. the map is not as upto date as it should be, still shows roundabouts where underpasses are.. the menus are fiddly and a lot of button taps needed to do anything with it.. can't alter warning distance for camera vans, 250mtrs is the default setting and I can see further than that!! The traffic re route is pretty poor, re routes too late and then sent me through the traffic jam!! Shows traffic on other side of the road when its clear? If I miss a turn to change my route because I know a way that is shorter, has no traffic and is on an "A" road it take an age to work out when to stop telling me to U turn.. With it in RA mode the camera warning works when you are near a camera site, just like it does with the RA plus but with it in navigation mode you would expect it to only go off if the camera is on your route, not so, up pops warnings of 30mph fixed cameras on motorways!!!!!! The list just goes on & on.............
Only got it because I have a RA plus and had a Tom Tom one, got fed up having to hook up/remove 2 gadgets everyday and the RA plus with the camera & laser detector worked really well. As you should be able to tell by now " I ain't impressed"......
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, perhaps you might like to try our alerts on your ONE?
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my one for the first time in months yesterday after my TT520 led me down the garden path with their latest maps and software...

It did get me home and today I thought I would see if they have launched an upgrade for the units poor software....

It would seem the answer is no Sad

I got my unit to attach via Activesync so the file system was visible and then tried the RA9000 upgrade program which reports "There Is Currently No New Update Available For Your Unit"

I see the price is now £229.99 and no new models on their website.

As the unit needs a sub I feel a fair price for such a heap of unsupported junk would be under £100.00.

BTW My one reports the following under System Info
Firmware Version 5.21
OS Revision 5.0 (1.4.9)
Shell Revision 4.39c
System Memory 77%
SD Free memory 644112 K
Last Updated 15/11/08
Subscription 3 x ticks

HummerUK
Milemonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update about my RA Navigator 9000... It's gone back to where it came.. Sent it back just before the end of the 1st month I had it, after it crashed several times. Also got a refund for the subscription. I am now using a tom tom go 520T with my RA +.. Am a happy bunny.
chris_debian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Any other OTA updated satnav's? Reply with quote

Hi, all.

I really wanted one of these, as it has OTA updating.

I wanted this because I use Linux on my PC at home, so can therefore not take advantage of updates mechanisms that run on Windoze, such as TomTom's software.

Can anyone answer these two questions?

a) Has the 9000 improved to the point where it is worth buying?

b) Does anyone know of a satnav unit that does not require you to have M$ Windoze to update, or indeed has OTA updates?

If not, it seems my only option is to get a TomTom and bin it when it becomes unusable due to lack of updates.

(If any satnav companies are reading this, there are 100,000's of people running Linux or Unix that would buy your products, if you supported them).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any other OTA updated satnav's? Reply with quote

chris_debian wrote:
I really wanted one of these, as it has OTA updating.

I wanted this because I use Linux on my PC at home, so can therefore not take advantage of updates mechanisms that run on Windoze, such as TomTom's software.

Buy a TomTom, subscribe to our database. You don't need HOME, it mounts as a drive and you copy the files to it yourself, easy.
chris_debian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Can you tell me more, this sounds perfect?

I have an old TomTom with an SD card, and that does mount as a drive. Any more advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really as simple as that, if you browse our install guides an example of which is here, (although they pertain to windows) the installation is the same, download the database, unzip, copy files to the map folder on your mounted device.

Configuration is done on the device itself. Our database is updated weekly and on a TomTom you can add real voice alerts also available from us.

Subscription is £16.99 per year and if you submit camera reports you could earn yourself a lifetime subscription.
chris_debian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, this is just the camera updates, I was looking for mapping updates, too. Happy to subscribe, just can't use the HOME software.
Thanks,

Chris.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_debian wrote:
Ahh, this is just the camera updates, I was looking for mapping updates, too. Happy to subscribe, just can't use the HOME software.
Thanks,

Chris.

TomTom don't offer map updates OTA, they offer Mapshare corrections via HOME but not map updates of any fashion, OTA or otherwise and nor do RoadAngel.
chris_debian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, Darren. From reading about the Navigator 9000, I really thought the mapping was updated, too. Their sales blurb says that all updates are done OTA and that you don't need to connect to a PC. Now I'm really confused.

Looks like I'll buy a TomTom and bin it when it gets too inaccurate :-(.

thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Cheers,

Chris.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin sell maps on CD, another option to consider? The only other route is of course to seek the assistance of a PC/Mac owning friend when you need to buy a new map?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: