Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded and installed the x30 version on my 720 that you supplied the link to Mike, but when I tried to connect to home I got an error message. So I then installed the x20 version and it connects fine. I will have to give it a go tomorrow. Many thanks
Why haven't tomtom giving this version to people then? Why would they have produced a different version of the software for the works user? Perhaps they thought that companies wouldn't pay for a flawed service but it would be ok for the general user to put up with.
Its brilliant that they can produce this stable software version for the work user, but have dragged their heels and done nothing about everyone else.
They deserve to go bankrupt in this recession!
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike et al.

Many thanks for the links - over last night and today I've ploughed through all 31 pages Shocked and just done the upgrade to 8.320 and Kate V7 and it seems to work on my window ledge and not connected to the pc. Need to try it this week as I've got some longer journeys later. If you want a laugh, try TT in France - the pronunciation isn't that bad but it gives up on the length of the road names and with the stutter it was a joke...

Someone mentioned about whether there was a difference with power level and voices. I think my 920 unit's battery could be on the way out as it hasn't been holding charge for a while and voices tended to be the first thing to fall off when it was low charge - I guess due to the juice needed to run the speaker rather than 'just electronic circuits.' Has anyone else found this? It tended to charge in the car but not on the cradle Exclamation

I've got until the 18th of the month (end of 1 yr warranty) to decide whether the unit has got a battery problem or whether it's "software created" from the route auto switch-on.

Cheers,

Andy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple wrote:
It tended to charge in the car but not on the cradle Exclamation

If you mean that it isn't charging on the cradle when connected to your PC then this could be due to the fact that the power available from the PC USB port is limited, leading to much longer charging times. The in-car charger is capabale of supplying 1A + of charging power - which will be required if the battery has discharged significantly.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: first impressions NC 8,320 with latest maps Reply with quote

Hi

Yesterday I updated my 720 to Navcore 8.320 and also installed latest maps of Western Europe (map version 813.2003, can some one please tell if it is the latest version?).

I had stuttering problems after dowloading 8.300 and wrote here when mikealder advised me (Thanks Mike) to downgrade to a previous application version as I was then using map v7 plus. The problems instantly went and I was OK with it.

However, there was a recent offer by Tomtom (30% reduction for latest maps *plus* map update gaurantee for a year [£71 for both options] , which both I opted for as the offer was ending Jan 13.

Following mikealder's instructions on page 28 and 30 of this thread, i installed everything on my device. Map download took about 3 hours (with one break but luckily it resumed from where the error had occured).

I have not used it much since but my first impression is that it is working ok. No stutter at all. Map refresh seems to be reasonable as well.

The only thing it did was: Home location disappeared, favourites disappeared. Warnings to PGPS cam database disappeared.

I thought of putting it down here so others, who have had the same problems, may benefit.

best

RATOM
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: first impressions NC 8,320 with latest maps Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
Hi

Yesterday I updated my 720 to Navcore 8.320 and also installed latest maps of Western Europe (map version 813.2003, can some one please tell if it is the latest version?).

If you meant 815.2003, then yes it is.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: first impressions NC 8,320 with latest maps Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:
The only thing it did was: Home location disappeared, favourites disappeared. Warnings to PGPS cam database disappeared.
This is quite normal as the settings for these values are stored in the MapSettings.cfg file which is stored in the map folder. The newer software will not work with the old MapSettings.cfg file so it wipes it out and creates a new (empty) one, this is one of the reasons I won't use Favourites as they can get wiped out by a software/ map update - Mike
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

I was using an externally powered USB hub as opposed to a pc only multiport hub. Sometimes leaving it on charge for over 12 hours with it switched off, I'd still find it to be dead when I removed it to work on battery power alone.

It seemed to charge up OK over the last few days in the car so I'll see how long it can hold it.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple wrote:
I was using an externally powered USB hub as opposed to a pc only multiport hub. Sometimes leaving it on charge for over 12 hours with it switched off, I'd still find it to be dead when I removed it to work on battery power alone.
PC USB Kit is only designed to output 500mA which is considerably less than the TomTom in car charger can deliver, I have also known some of the x20 units (including the 920) to power up of their own accord from time to time, this is a very effective way to flatten the battery! - My 720 did this for a while until a software update seems to have fixed this issue.

The sound output from the unit is the first thing that seems to suffer when not running on the car charger with a low battery, sometimes you just get distortion, other times the sound can cease altogether, use the car charger all the time whilst in the vehicle - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So general consensus so far is 8.320 with TTS7 seems pretty stable with no apparent lag or stutter.

About time TT got round to fixing it properly!

Andy
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When I put the links in the earlier post to the application I have found works better than others I did say it was intended for the x20/ x30 using TomTom Work - so I guess it is an official Navcore but not one we should be using if we don't have the Work system/ software and hardware, it isn't a hacked version as it downloads from TomTom's server - I don't use Home very much so I don't miss that - what I do like is a decent screen refresh rate and no stuttering - Mike

I have been out of the TomTom loop for a while now (new hip!).

I've got a 920. Software version 7.221 (I said I was out of it!)

My maps are also older 715.1712 (North Amerca)

What is tomtom WORK? I see something using google about trucks and such. This can be installed on my 920 without much problem? I see mention of TTHome not working or at least Operate-my-go?

I had to admit that the software I have seems to function. But it is not the latest/greatest since I know TT seems to blow things up.

I also believe I've read that new OS may blow out some/all of my 3rd party software? I've got Video from Mobi-whomever.

Any advice/assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v7.221 was the best ever software as far as I'm concerned.

But if you want to update your maps, or use new features like IQ routing, you have to embrace v8 software.
v8.300 is the current official release, but many people have found it slows down the screen response and makes the voices (especially TTS voices) slow and stuttery.
That is why some have been experimenting with software versions intended for other devices, such as the x40 models and TT Work

TomTom Work, is a paid-for service with additional hardware black boxes, but the software itself seems to work ok on the x20s.

However, when you do this you may lose other features like the jukebox facility, and "Operate my Go" in Home (until they write the required .dll file for it).
TT have also removed the Navigation voice over FM, for legal reasons.

A lot of the third-party extras written for the TomTom range no longer work with v8, but I think MobilNova is one that still does, as does the open source TomTom Media Player
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!

yes the map is 815.2003.

Thank Andy_P

RATOM
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
v7.221 was the best ever software as far as I'm concerned.

I agree, apart from the fact that the RDS-TMC data was garbage.

IMHO if you use RDS-TMC then 8.010 is the one to go for (try Oldboys site for a download)

Unless of course you update your maps using LMG then you will get offered 8.15 maps as long as you upgrade to Navcore 8 first. In that case you have to be running 8.300 which is full of bugs, current consensus is use the 8.320 designed for the WORK devices as that works with the 8.15 maps.

If you aren't going to use the 8.15 maps then stay with what you have or try 7.481 or 8.010 but DO NOT use 8.300 unless you really really have to .......

Andy
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should also avoid 7.481.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I think you should also avoid 7.481.
So you remember the long press of the power on button to bring the device to life.......
5 seconds was a long time to hold down the on/ off switch - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 31 of 49

Jump to: