Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No USA maps on the 8110, only on other models" OH NO - is this yet ANOTHER hint of a dead-end model? Evil or Very Mad
kmhphoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlover wrote:
km if i were you id ring or email again someone else will take your query and may give you a totally different answer,thats my experience anyway buddy.

I called them today and they said they have no plans to introduce the US maps to Europe for the 8110.
carlover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly ive had enough of my navigon.Not having MOBILE cameras is a big issue with me. Got rid of the garmin because of the narrow lane routing nonsense.Optimum mode with navigon keeps you off them but causes other issues. Near newquey in cornwall wanted to get on the A30 back to london navigon in optimum kept me away from cornwalls hedgerows but refused to get me on the flippin A30 .It took me along the A39 a road id never used nice scenery and villages but NOT the right road as anyone who knows that area the A30 is the only way to go. So im now going very alternative going for the syrius proline 2000 heard the routing and cameras are good so we shall see.By the way went to halfords to try out some routes on garmins latest the 765T i love garmins set up ,really hoping the routes were now better,still nonsensical.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame as POI-Warner is available in German now and I have been told the English section of the site should be live by the end of the week.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

One of the issues I raised earlier in this thread is the inability to use anything except the car charger cable as a means of picking up TMC signals. As has already been discussed, unsurprisingly this arrangement does not work terribly well in the UK...

However I've found what may be a reasonable solution to this. GNS is a company that manufacturers TMC accessories and they offer a "splitter" cable allowing you to take a feed from your car radio's antenna and connect it to the Navigfon unit:

http://www.gns-gmbh.com/shop/xtc/product_info.php?info=p150_GNS-Y-Antenna-splitter-for-Navigon-PNA-2xxx--72xx--8xxx-ISO.html&XTCsid=0230a8f9042ffb1a0c4ec3a5b7b56f6d

The only downside is that you won't be able to have it plugged in at the same time as charging the unit - though that's Navigon's fault, of course.

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you can't charge the Navigon while this is connected? The device would charge through the mount and this looks to plug into the USB socket at the bottom of the unit?

I could be misunderstanding things, but it doesn't look to be a problem on the 8110 at least. The other models may have a issue with being powered as I don't think power is provided through the mount.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Not sure why you can't charge the Navigon while this is connected? The device would charge through the mount and this looks to plug into the USB socket at the bottom of the unit?

Hmmm.... page 13 of the user guide says "As soon as the navigation device is inserted into the cradle (ie the mount), it can receive traffic message updates". This implies that the actual TMC receiver is built into the mount, rather than the unit itself. So even with the unit in the mount, if you plug the car charger cable into the unit (rather than the mount), I bet the TMC does not work...

Additionally the guide implies that if you are powering the unit via the mount, the unit's own mini-USB socket is taken out of service. Now I take this to mean the mini-USB will neither accept power nor data.

In other words you can only receive TMC via the mount and when you do so, the mini-USB connector on the bottom of the unit is disabled. Hence it is not possible to take advantage of Navigon's own car charger cable AND the antenna splitter cable at the same time. I think....??

Following on from that. even if you accept that you can't charge and receive TMC at the same time, if you were to plug the antenna splitter into the mount and rely on the unit's battery, the mount's TMC receiver will only work if it can draw battery power from the unit. If it relies on the car charger cable for its power, then we're scuppered. Confused?!

--

Cheers,

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm... yeah veru confused. Only way to know for sure if is someone who owns one with a 8110 can verify.
Or if I get chance I will get my mount out of the car and plug it in via a mains adaptor then plug the Navigon into the PC when attached to the mount.
If I can see the drive then I assume the USB slot isn't disabled on connection to the mount Rolling Eyes Question
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
erm... yeah veru confused. Only way to know for sure if is someone who owns one with a 8110 can verify.
Or if I get chance I will get my mount out of the car and plug it in via a mains adaptor then plug the Navigon into the PC when attached to the mount.
If I can see the drive then I assume the USB slot isn't disabled on connection to the mount Rolling Eyes Question

If you get a chance to test this, I would be very grateful! I would only consider buying an 8110 if there was a way of providing a feed from a "proper" antenna...

Additionally, even without a splitter, I think the following little "test plan" might be useful, too (and apologies in advance if it sounds a bit dictatorial!):

Ensure the unit has sufficient battery charge.

Remove the unit from the mount. Plug the charging/TMC cable into the mini-USB socket on the unit - but DO NOT plug the other end of the cable into the cigarette lighter. Do you get a TMC signal?...

... If not then plug the other the end of the cable into the cig lighter as normal (and switch on the ignition, if necessary, so that you get power to the cig lighter). Do you get a TMC signal now?...

... If not then remove the cable from the unit AND the cig lighter. Plug it into the mount as normal but DO NOT plug the other end back into the cig lighter. Install the unit into the mount. Do you get a TMC signal?

If you've got this far without getting a TMC signal then it shows that the TMC receiver is in the mount (as we suspect) and it requires power from the car charger. If that is the case and if the unit's mini-USB socket is indeed disabled when the unit is powered by the mount, then this renders the splitter cable unusable and rules me out of buying an 8110.

--

Many thanks!

Dave
Astx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:

If you get a chance to test this, I would be very grateful! I would only consider buying an 8110 if there was a way of providing a feed from a "proper" antenna...

Just return from trip across France with Navigon 8110 (i'm from Russia). I forgot at home all my charging devices including Navigon's car charger with integrated TMC antenna Sad

At local game store I buy car charging device for Sony PSP, including cable with two connectors: Sony specific and miniUSB. For 10 Euros only.

Using it without Navigon craddle (i forget it at home too), my 8110 get about 70-80 TMC announcement at Paris and little smaller count at Lyon, Grenoble and Nice. But it works only if I place my 8110 near window at hotel room.

On screen i see gray triangle, if TMC work and gray triangle with red line inside if box loose TMC radio signal. But moving 8110 slightly to another position on window fix receiving and return triangle to pure gray.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astx wrote:

Using it without Navigon craddle (i forget it at home too), my 8110 get about 70-80 TMC announcement at Paris and little smaller count at Lyon, Grenoble and Nice. But it works only if I place my 8110 near window at hotel room.

Thanks very much for that info, Astx! Very Happy

So the TMC receiver *must* be in the unit iteself. (Indeed, in a conversation with a friend earlier this week - hi, Phil! - we came to the same conclusion). In which case why does the Navigon User Guide say "As soon as the navigation device is inserted into the cradle, it can receive traffic message updates"? There is a clear inference here that the TMC receiver is in the cradle, yet this is demonstrably not the case. (It's precisely this sort of miscommunication that drove me away from Navigon in the first place!)

This still gives us a potential problem, however. The User Guide goes on to state that if you are charging the unit via the socket on the mount, then the mini-USB socket on the unit is automatically disabled. Assuming that the guide is correct on this occasion, it means we can't use an external aerial (via the unit's mini-USB) while charging the unit (via the mount's socket)...

... Unless the unit's mini-USB is only disabled when you are actually supplying power (from the cig lighter) to the mount's socket. Perhaps you can actually plug your external aerial into the mount and charge up via the unit's mini-USB...?

--

Cheers,

Dave
Astx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, we have answer about TMC-receiver from Navigon support team:

"Das Gerät hat auch ohne die Halterung alle Funktionen. Der Unterschied zu einer "normalen" Halterung besteht bei der Aktivhalterung darin, dass das Gerät über die Halterung aufgeladen werden kann" ( thanx to Vadi61 from russian forum on 4PDA ).

I have only russian translation, but i think you can translate it on english more correctly then i Wink
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Astx!

Further confirmation that the Navigon User Guide is wrong. I wonder if it's also wrong about the unit's mini-USB socket being disabled when powering through the cradle?

--

Cheers

Dave
Astx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be not, who knows what can happen, when you connect two different power suplay in one device at same time? Short circuit?

But miniUSB connector have five contacts, and i think TMC antenna use another then two for power distribution. May be this contacts dosn't deactivating, when device stand on cradle.

I can't check it, because in my country we don't have TMC at all.
kevingcollins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys.
Apologies in advance for my apparent lack of knowledge int he Navigon 8110. Just got it recently for a birthday gift, and am just getting round to using the mp3 function.

My question is,
Is it possible to buy a bigger memory card, and just copy and paste the files from the factory installed one with all of the map info on it?
There doesnt seem to be enough memory on the original one to save mp3 files.

Hope I can get some help, as im struggling in the car with no cds!!!

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: