Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPECS Cameras to be deployed on Motorways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPECS Cameras to be deployed on Motorways
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G and NickG, long lost identical twins!
Mrs G will be pleased that you have finally met up.
Cheers! Cheers!

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjwhite wrote:
I amnot sure that this is that new. The M25 between Brentwood and the M11 has had 3 average speed cameras permanently installed for over a year now... on the anti-clockwise section.... (Edited some text out-Kevinx)
Funnily enough, the M25 is one of those roads that actually benefits from the traffic doing what it needs to do (in my humble opinion). Sometimes that means a lot of people all doing a bit more than they should; if that whole line of cars is doing the same...it moves.
(Some text edited out -Kevinx) :o)

Nick,

I thought they had removed those, just before the M11, and the airfield??

With regard to the 2nd paragraph above "M25 benefits from the traffic doing what...."

I too agree (to some extent) and the VARIABLE Gatsos' above the carriageway on the South Western stretch (Chessington area to M40) really seem to do the trick. Slow the traffic to the average traffic speed/road conditions, and switched off when no problems. yep, they do the trick, and of course when they are not illumiated, motorists are left to their own descretion. Better idea than the SPECS which monitor for a set speed ALL the time.

Just my "two penneth"
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
BillyHey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I disagree with the 'motoring groups' comments. Having driven the A77 between Symington and Ayr on numerous occasions where SPECS has been deployed for a number of years, it is the most stress free and certainly feels like the safest part of travelling from Glasgow to Ayr and back again. There are plenty of 'escape' routes (although if you're paying attention why would you need them?) as the traffic is well spaced out (since everyone is doing 70) and you know that there isn't going to be some tw*t coming up in lane 2 doing a ton when you come across a slow moving vehicle.

As soon as you pass Syminton heading north, it becomes quite a scary bit of road as the nutters put their foot down again, on what is a 1970s dual carriageway with numerous slip roads until you get to the new-ish M77.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyHey wrote:
as the traffic is well spaced out (since everyone is doing 70).

And how does that ensure drivers maintain proper separation? Locking the speed has no effect on ensuring drivers maintain the correct distances!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French motorways use average speed enforcement between toll booths insterad of cameras. Then many motorists drive faster than the limit but stop at a rest area for a meal, coffee, or for any other reason and their average speed is then below the limit.
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
There are SPECS speed cameras on the M60 anti-clockwise near junction J27 (heading towards Stockport). These have been there a while and there are no roadworks.

Almost right. The SPECS area is CLOCKWISE M60 just prior to junction 25 to enforce a 50 mph limit on a sharp (for a motorway) bend and although the critical speed for that bend, in dry conditions, is between 85 & 90 mph motorists who did not know the area (usually heading towards Manchester Airport) ignored the sharp bend signs (later the 50 mph limit) and met their match. For information junction 25 appears to have a very strange layout (anti-clockise you actually join the motorway on lane 3 (fast lane)) but the reason was for future developement of the Stockport by-pass (if they ever get to build it, it's been promised for about 30 years)
Duddy
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment on this story...... simple put its the thin end of the wedge.

Terran
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to all this. Can anyone compile some sort of chart, like the braking distance chart in the Highway Code, of how long it takes, & what speeds you can go, between cameras at various distances?

E.g: Cameras 1 mile apart & speed limit 50mph. Could you go up to 55mph in this distance?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedy50 wrote:
With regard to all this. Can anyone compile some sort of chart, like the braking distance chart in the Highway Code, of how long it takes, & what speeds you can go, between cameras at various distances?

E.g: Cameras 1 mile apart & speed limit 50mph. Could you go up to 55mph in this distance?

Why? If the limit is 50mph then that's the maximum speed you need to be driving at.

Without knowing what the force policy is and at what excess speed they issue NIP's anything else would be both risky and pointless.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these Speed Cameras (Oops! Sorry not allowed to call the Speed Cameras anymore) Safety Cameras are, are another stealth tax.

As the operators use stealth to rake in the money... Twisted Evil
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those new(ish) cameras on the western section of the M25 are now having little effect.

I'm constantly overtaken by vehicles doing well over 40 when that's the limit and well over 70 when no limit is displayed.

I'm convinced they are dummies like the M42 ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cameras (they are all real by the way) were all installed many years ago (A3 round to M3 that is) and are all steam driven - so use film (not digital) that has to be taken out and checked. Do you fancy that climb up over all those gantries and unloading 4 cameras for each gantry? And nor do the police!

So rumour has it that only one at any time has film in it! And guess which lane that will be for? I often use this section and find that some drivers do risk it. Most others don't. And I have seen the cameras on the opposite carriagway flash on several occassions, so they are still working sometimes. They certainly keep my speed down.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
darkeneddreams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Jellyroll wrote:
It's nonsense like this that makes Cruise Control a must-have for me.

You dont want Cruise Control but do want a Speed Limiter. I have a Merc with both and have never used the cruise control. Every time I go on the Motorway I set the speed limiter to 70Mph (as shown on my SatNav which is about 76 on the speedo) and off I go. It really comes in handy in those teasing roadworks sections where they have the cams no roadworks and 3 open lanes...

Is this a possible after market product or is it only available when you buy a car with this speed limiter fitted?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: