Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom Quick Start Menu?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Quick Start Menu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Custom Quick Start Menu? Reply with quote

Is there any way to add custom items to the quick start menu on the Go series of TomTom units?

Thanks
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Quick Start Menu? Reply with quote

s3dbw wrote:
Is there any way to add custom items to the quick start menu on the Go series of TomTom units?

Thanks

What do you mean by "custom items"? All settings for the quick start menu are found under Change Preferences / Quick menu preferences.

/Ulf
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only add upto six items to the short cut menu and the options to choose from can be found by tapping Change Preferences/ Quick Menu Preferences - if what you want isn't listed in this area then you cannot add the function to the menu - Mike
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, by custom, I meant 3rd party apps, but from the responses I guess that is not possible.

Thanks again
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3dbw wrote:
Thanks for the replies, by custom, I meant 3rd party apps, but from the responses I guess that is not possible.

Thanks again

Not any more. It used to be possible on earlier versions of the software, but TomTom removed that capability with one of their recent releases (v7 ?).
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what you want to have quick, you could think about creating your own custom menu button position.

i.e once you touch the screen you can have it to show Navigate to, etc etc.. instead of finding all the options via lots of button presses.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
Depending on what you want to have quick, you could think about creating your own custom menu button position.

i.e once you touch the screen you can have it to show Navigate to, etc etc.. instead of finding all the options via lots of button presses.

How would you achieve that with the current firmware? The closest feature I've been able to find is that in Start-up preferences, but that only controls the behaviour when the device is being switched On.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still use the custom menu by placing a tomtom.mnu file in the SDKRegistry folder, but with the modern software from TomTom it won't work 100% as some funtionality isn't called up using the normal text - its not worth bothering IMHO
In addition this won't work for 3rd party applications unless they respond to the line SDK1 etc, since TT have removed the support for the SDK there is very little you can do knowing that it will work - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

My custom menu works fine for me on version 8.

I guess it could depend on what your own needs are, mine has been almost the same since i created it 3 years ago.

It could do with some updating for the new firmwares, but that only seems to be for the new funky stuff.

Regs

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
It could do with some updating for the new firmwares, but that only seems to be for the new funky stuff.

Thats the point though, the new features are not available when using a custom menu, MapShare and HelpMe are two such examples that simply don't appear, and I am sure there will be others in the preferences options that simply won't work with the custom menu file - Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem a bit of an 'own goal' by TomTom to hobble their Sat Nav's in this way. If they had any intention of developing their own add-on apps then fair enough, they want to protect their own interests but as they appear to have no intention of doing so they are simply preventing users improving functionality at their own expense. Going by the responses on PGPSW I would have thought there would scope for a Sat Nav with expansion potential, something TomTom could fairly easily build in to their current ranges by writing more user friendly firmware – or am I missing something?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought since TomTom moved away from PDA software to integrated units they would minimise the use of additional third party software on their units to avoid costly support issues.

There appear to be many compatibility issues with their own differing versions of maps and software and they would not want more to be introduced by third party applications. I could imagine every time they upgraded the Navcore, 3rd party applications could have issues and they would be inundated with people asking for support. No doubt most people would see 3rd party compatibility issues as a TomTom problem.

Just as the x40 range now contains SIMs and mobile GPRS, this must reduced the number of issues they get over TTPlus services not working with an X handset on Y network.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: