Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood DNX7200 MPH KPH tip
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood DNX7200 MPH KPH tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwgreg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Kenwood DNX7200 MPH KPH tip Reply with quote

I have been frustrated for a long time with Garmins POIloader and the necessity to load a new SD card when crossing the channel to change speedcams from mph to kph. I had an idea in my head for quite some time but have only just tested it today. Some of you may already be aware of this but just in case:

I load all speedcams for Europe including UK through POIloader using KPH. Before doing this I process the UK speedcams in Excel. For example, for the 30mph UK speedcams I alter each record to add @48 on the end of each description. This is 30mph converted to kph (1 mph = 1.609344 kph).
THe filename can remain at speed30 or whatever as the individual record will override the filename.

When in the UK the DNX7200 is set for MPH and so the speed readout on the camera is automatically converted from 48KPH to 30MPH.

The next part I have yet to try but having crossed the channel and reset the DNX7200 to KPH all the normal speedcams for europe will read as normal. THe UK ones will now read in KPH but as you are unlikely to pass a uk camera in Europe it does not seem to matter Cool

In Excel locating UK speedcams can be easilly achieved by setting a search for Long,Lat and splitting the UK into 2 grid squares. Once you create a function to test and add the @48 etc. just copy it to every relevant record. There are lots of ways to do this from very simple to VBA. Just make sure there is only one speed setting per record.

Beats carrying two SD cards everywhere Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's an easier way, involving loading the MPH set with POILoader, then changing the resulting file name and then uploading the kmph set.

I'm not a Garmin expert though, someone will be along soon...
rwgreg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always interested in easier!!

Not exactly sure about the detail you are suggesting but I have tried different filenames which seem to work on other garmin satnavs but the DNX7200 only recognises the one filename as far as I am aware.

One of the nice things about the camera files from this site is that the records already have the uk speed set and so it is only a case of find& replace with the conversion figure.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this any help?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the post I was thinking of... Sorry I got your hopes up if it doesn't work on yours.
rwgreg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I did see that topic when it first came out though it has had a number of updated posts since. I was very excited at first but mine being a Kenwood using the Garmin system it didn't work for me.

Having had a couple of firmware updates since, I have tried that method again today but it still does not work for me.

Until now I have been using the two card method i.e. switching the satnav to KPH and loading the KPH SD card etc.

With editing the csv files I always pondered whether the satnav would show in KPH or MPH with the fudged speed figure. It seems that either the kenwood converts to currently set units or it may take the figure from the filename and show in the current units as only the records are fudged. As I am getting what I need now I do not have an urge to prove any of my theories Smile

The one thing that does interest me is: there is a menu item called "Manage POI" with a sub menu item "Delete Poi" but all it allows one to do is delete all loaded poi. Makes one think that the sub menu should contain other items or loaded filenames! (I wish Confused )

All I want for Christmas is a double din Tomtom Evil or Very Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwgreg wrote:
All I want for Christmas is a double din Tomtom Evil or Very Mad

Do you mean one of These - if so I doubt they will be available to the public, more likely to be OEM factory fit on some new vehicles - Mike
rwgreg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I will have to go back to my G0720 and the magnifying screen. It is a lot more verstatile than my kenwood Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: