Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40 Accessory Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40 Accessory Mount
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: x40 Accessory Mount Reply with quote

The mount supplied with the x40 devices is basic in terms of connectivity, the new accessory mount offers additional ports for use with either the RDS-TMC receiver or iPOD, a line out socket and of course the power input. The mini USB power input can also be used with the newer style of RDS-TMC receiver should that be needed.

Why should you want to couple the RDS-TMC to a device that is equipped with its own Live system? Well not everyone is going to want to pay the monthly charge and if you travel in Europe with a UK sourced device the Live services won’t work whilst overseas.

Lets have a quick look at the new mount:

Front:

From the front you can see the device electrical connector and the release lever/ locking mechanism that secures the x40 in place on the mount.

Rear:

From the rear are the external electrical connectors, to the left is the mini USB power/ RDS-TMC socket, this will work with the newer RDS-TMC receiver that utilises the Mini USB socket.
On the right are two sockets, the first is for either the older style RDS-TMC receiver or the iPOD accessory cable. The socket on the far right is the 3,5MM stereo line output socket.

Note there is no suction cup to attach the mount to the windscreen, which is a welcome addition to the range, no more sucker marks to clean, and for some USA residents this offers a legal solution other than a bean bag style holder.

To attach the mount to the vehicle you will need something like a Brodit Pro Clip, these are made to fit a huge array of different makes and models of vehicles, often different locations within the same vehicle are available for choice.

You can order the Pro-Clip to match your vehicle at the same time as the mount by following the mount selector on This Page, or go to DSL Developments web site Here If you find neither site offers the Pro-Clip to match your vehicle then go direct to the Brodit web site and try there for a far more comprehensive selection Here.

Just to illustrate this point the Pro-Clip I used to mount the 940 in my vehicle wasn’t listed on either the TomTom or DSL web site but it is available from Brodit.

The Brodit Pro-Clip will attach securely to the vehicle requiring no holes to be drilled in the vehicles trim, they are also removable leaving no traces of where they were fitted (important in the case of company cars etc).

The Accessory mount simply screws to the Pro-clip using four self tapping screws, or you have the option to use the Brodit Mini Move it clip which attaches to the Pro-clip and accessory mount using very strong self adhesive tape.

The design of the accessory mount makes the move it clip not really viable as the device has a deep recess on the rear face which offers very little contact area for the clip to stick. It should be possible to fill the recess on the mount with two pack epoxy if you really do want to use the "Move it" clips with this device.

How it all fits to the car.

For my installation I chose to use the self tapping screws to secure the two parts together, its not difficult, if you know which end of a screwdriver is the handle you will be able to perform this job. My nine year old son could do it without a problem:

Next you need to mount the Pro-clip and accessory mount into the vehicle, nice and easy as in my case the Pro-Clip simply slides into a small gap between two parts of the vehicles trim.

For my chosen mount the Pro-clip is secured with two pieces of self adhesive tape, but these are not really required as the whole assembly is very secure once inserted.

As a tip, try inserting the mount attached to the clip with the yellow protection tape covering the adhesive pads, make sure it all fits as you expect.

Then remove the assembly to peel off the cover tape and slide the whole lot back into position, apply a little pressure to seat the adhesive pads and that’s the job done.

Obviously the exact method of attachment will differ from car to car, but the Pro-Clip is supplied with easy to understand instructions. Some mounts simply clip to the air vents, but the exact method of attachment will depend upon what’s available for your model of car.

Cables

Left hand drive is the order of the day – right angled cables tend to stick out from the side of the mount, its a minor niggle but I would like to see a range of optional power cables for this mount to tidy up the cable installation in the vehicle.

RDS-TMC, iPOD and Audio Line Output cables are all attached in this picture, although when you dock the device in to the cradle you cannot see too much in way of cables.

Nice and easy to fit, total time took around ten minutes, this provides a secure, solid mount that doesn't involve suction cups on the windscreen. With the added connectivity the accessory mount offers over and above the mount supplied with the device, its a very well worth addition if you want RDS-TMC or iPOD or Line Out audio - Mike
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My G940 docked in an 8-year-old Rover 45
The mounting is a Brodit Pro-clip which fits between the Clock and the Air Vent and is rock solid.
The power wiring was disposed of by simply pushing it between the console trim using a wooden spatula. (Actually a lollipop stick courtesy of my Grandchildren!).
This was then plugged into a cigarette lighter extension socket hidden under the dash which I wired to the ignition accessories terminal and earth.

I originally had the G940 on the bottom right of the windscreen. Couldn't put it on the right side of the steering wheel as I have a wireless reversing camera there so chose the central mounting position which I now prefer! Have changed to "Left hand operation" which as far as I can gather simply moves the "Yes, No, Done and Back" prompts to the left side of the screen.

All in all quite pleased with the way it's worked out!
Now considering doing the same in the Citroen Berlingo you can see through the windscreen - my wife's' car which I drive occasionally.

…..Ken (Heywood, U.K.)

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Very neat looking.
I much prefer this position, it's very similar to how I've got my 720:

Just got to find a way to fit the 940 beside it! (The Brodit clip is lousy for my car).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: x40 Accessory Mount Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

If that's a reversing camera you've got set up there Mike, you're in BIG trouble! Shocked
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried many positions in various cars for GPS (and phone) mounts and some of the positioning of the Brodit mounts leaves a lot to be desired.

One of the most common positions is low down to the left of the centre console area so that you are virtually looking at your passengers feet to see the device and this really does take you eyes off the road and it takes time to refocus on the road ahead after looking at the unit.

Another common position is on the vents which I also do not like the idea of, firstly the device sits across the front of the vent which prevents it from distributing air how it was designed, on many vents the weight of the device causes the vent to turn downwards, on some vents you can no longer shut them. Finally the air blowing out on your electronics unit can either freeze the unit so water condenses on it once the air con is turned off or it can really heat it up when the heating is on full. After all if you were hanging a large plasma screen television at home you would not hang it on the air con unit or a radiator.

I find the best position to be slightly off centre and just below your normal line of sight when driving so that even when looking at the unit you can still clearly see what is in front of you on the road.

I suppose a big issue is in compan cars you are not supposed to mark them.

At the moment I am experimenting with a weigthed mount until I find the best position for the unit then I will fix a permanent mount.

As for the remote control, the only use so far I have found for this is controlling the unit when you are the passenger and cannot reach it from where you are. Has anyone found it easier to use than touching the screen or another better use for it?
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allow my wife to use the remote control from the passenger seat. That way, she thinks she is in control!
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Do you not worry about leaving a tomtom mount in your car in case it gets broken into?
justinedgington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: x40 Accessory Mount Reply with quote

Quote:
mikealder wrote:

Hi guys fairly new to the device, can someone point me in the right direction of getting movies on the 940? Is it worth while?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on This web site, although its not working 100% on the 940 at the moment - Mike
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Guys,

Do you not worry about leaving a tomtom mount in your car in case it gets broken into?

I've not bothered, but then I don't often park in the really dodgy parts of towns. The key is that there is no ring mark to make your car an obvious target, so little incentive to check the details. The new x40 mount does positively say "TomTom", but since we don't leave the satnav in the car anyway, the break in would be to no avail.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Postcard printed in large red letters which says "No SatNav or other valuables left in this vehicle". I keep it in the door pocket and place it on the dashboard whenever I get out of the car.
All I can say is that it has worked successfully for umpteen years even when I used a telltale windscreen mount.

.....Ken (Heywood U.K.)

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review thanks.

Anyone know where else to get it apart from tomtom website (their p&p is a bit pricey)? I have googled to little effect. Thanks.

(I am just after the mount I have a brodit)
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Good review thanks.

Anyone know where else to get it apart from tomtom website (their p&p is a bit pricey)? I have googled to little effect. Thanks.

(I am just after the mount I have a brodit)

Even with the P & P, the item sold by TomTom represents the best value I have yet seen. Other sites may be cheaper in the P & P department but the total price is dearer than Tomtom's. I paid £31.90.
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the remote control, the only use so far I have found for this is controlling the unit when you are the passenger and cannot reach it from where you are. Has anyone found it easier to use than touching the screen or another better use for it?
[/quote]

I find the remote very handy or should I say my CO-Pilot.
I usualy do the driving and the General usualy does the navagating.
This saves a lot of disputes.
vrojohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: mount help Reply with quote

dear all in feb we are off to florida and i will be taking my 940 and i noticed that mike quotes (USA residents this offers a legal solution other than a bean bag style holder.) so my question is can I use the supplied screen mount in florida or do I need to get an alternative form of mount as in this topic and a bean bag.
many thanks
John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: