Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - will bluetooth GPS conflict with phone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

will bluetooth GPS conflict with phone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: will bluetooth GPS conflict with phone? Reply with quote

Hello all' would like some advice please. At present I use a Sony X1 Xperia to connect to the car's built in Bluetooth phone. All works perfectly, & both connect automatically. Also on long trips I connect my laptop to a usb gps to run your database on Aoutoroute 2007, again no problems.
Now here is where I need advice, I want to replace the old usb gps with a more modern Bluetooth device. I also intend to use the bluetooth gps with the phone when hiking, with it clipped to the outside of my jacket, as the Xperia uses Memory maps via it's own gps, but which loses signal whenever the phone goes int a jacket pocket. Up to now I don't see any problems, but this is what I don't know, when I'm in the car, will the bluetooth gps & laptop still function independently of the phone & car hands free, or will the fact that 4 bluetooth devices are running at the same time conflict with each other? The phone needs to be set to visible mode all the time so the car can connect automatically.
many thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should all work together in the same vehicle without an issue.

What you could do is eliminate the other GPS receiver and simply use the GPS built in to the X1 to feed both the X1 application and the Laptop by sharing the GPS data using a port splitter.

Fransons GPS Gate can do this, it can be found from This Web site, better still you get a free trial for a limited time period to check out that it will do what you want - Mike
pko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks mikealder, I will give it a try.
kind regardsP
angelinalove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, pko have you tried to run all the 4 gps successfully?
pko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good morning, Angelinalove, it all seems ok with no extra software needed. I'm using a BN-905gr bluetooth gps, purchased from Handtec, to connect to a laptop running Autoroute 2007 on Xp with the speed camera database, & the phone, Sony X1, is connected via blutooth to the hands free kit which was fitted as standard equipment in the Land Rover, & so far, although as yet I haven't been on a long trip, it all seems to be working fine with no conflicts, which I don't really understand as presumably all bluetooth devices must use the same frequency, but anyway it works.(so far). If I do find any problems I'll post here.

kind regards
P
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pko wrote:
I haven't been on a long trip, it all seems to be working fine with no conflicts, which I don't really understand as presumably all bluetooth devices must use the same frequency, but anyway it works.(so far).

BT devices work within the same frequency spectrum but utilise a technique called frequency hopping to help reduce interference from other devices. After each BT packet is transmitted the frequecy of the transmission is changed automatically. The master device in the pairing is responsible for determining the frequency hopping schedule. This way if a particular frequency causes a problem the packet will be re-transmitted on a different frequency. This technique is used by many technologies to avoid interference/jamming/interception.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: