Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New SPECs Speed Cameras spring up on the A127 in Essex
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New SPECs Speed Cameras spring up on the A127 in Essex
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: New SPECs Speed Cameras spring up on the A127 in Essex Reply with quote

Last week I went away for a late summer holiday and returned home to find that a number of new SPECs average speed cameras had been erected in my absence close to my house. I had to spend the afternoon collecting the speed camera locations to make sure it made the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database release later that day.

The A127 is just a few hundred yards from where I live and judging by the number of cameras on the stretch of road between the A130 and the intersection with Victoria Avenue you would have thought it was the most dangerous and accident prone road in the world. There are no less than 20 fixed cameras on the A127 in 7 miles.

These new SPECs Speed Cameras cover a section of the road from just before the A130 junction on the A127 up to the border of Southend where the existing Gatsos take over.

This stretch of the road is currently 70MPH but after everyone is used to the cameras they will be dropping the limit down to 50MPH. Strange that they didn't set the 50MPH Limit first and then install the cameras...

Click here to read the full article including the press release from the Essex Casualty Reduction Board and my personal views on the matter...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why do 'council spokesmen' insist of giving distances in km. It is illegal to signpost in km so why do they insist on using km instead of miles(you know, a round 1760 yards, 8 furlongs and goodness knows how many chains). Our speedos are calibrated in mph and the odometer is usualy in miles, signposts have to be in miles/yards. They still talk about miles per hour (because it's the law), and our basic measurment is miles NOT km????? Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't KeyMed sponsor a roundabout like anybody else? Will they be advertising themselves as sponsors of your local speed cameras? Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
... why do they insist on using km instead of miles...

Although when signs are being replaced approaching motorway junctions it is not uncommon for the new sign to be repositioned at two thirds and one third miles, which coincidentally is near enough one and half kilometres.

Metrification of our roads by backdoor means?
Flyboy0902
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: New A127 cameras Reply with quote

Just got back from Essex via the A127 and nearly crashed twice due to people not knowing exactly what speed they are in fact allowed travel at. The signs are all national speed limit, but people are coming up to the new cameras and lamping on the brakes just in case they are live at 50mph!!! Confused If someone doesn't get killed before the local authority formally drops the limit to 50mph I'll be amazed!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
... why do they insist on using km instead of miles...

Although when signs are being replaced approaching motorway junctions it is not uncommon for the new sign to be repositioned at two thirds and one third miles, which coincidentally is near enough one and half kilometres.

Metrification of our roads by backdoor means?
Have you ever looked at those little posts at the side of the motorways? They have a number (e.g. 157.4) and a little telephone symbol pointing in the direction of the nearest emergency phone. They are and always have been at 100 metre intervals and indicate the distance in kilometres from wherever they measure from (start of motorway, say London, Birmingham, Liverpool, etc). They increment upwards one direction, downwards the opposite. The ONLY reason why miles were kept on the roads when metrification was forced on us old fogies, was that it was OK for us to have to sell or buy in metres, kilos and litres, buying new tape measures, weighing scales and measuring jugs, but metrification of roads would have meant the government funding millions of sign replacements. Cynical?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning to drive (way back when) I am sure that the highway code showed those posts as being 100 yards apart.

Will Shakespeare be next? Razz

Pounds - The Merchant of Venice 'Take then thy bond, take thou thy 0.4536 kilograms of flesh'

Ounces - King Lear 'Give me 28.35 grams of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination'

Miles - Romeo and Juliet 'Villain and he may be many 1.6093 kilometres asunder'

Pints - Othello 'Good faith, a little one not past 0.5683 litre as I am a soldier'

Inch - The Taming of the Shrew 'I'll not budge 2.54 centimetres'
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
(you know, a round 1760 yards, 8 furlongs and goodness knows how many chains).

Eighty chains, squire.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also posted these specs earlier this week to the speed camera database.

The press article from the local paper can be found here

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/3944040.New_average_speed_cameras_go_up_on_A127/

Off to download the latest camera release so I capture these specs !

Cheers Mike for the write-up.
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what this KeyMed Ltd. do?

Boycott anyone? Wink
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeyMed make boroscopes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the fatal and serious accidents were caused by "lads" on their way to Southend on a Friday and Saturday night for an unofficial "cruise". Why should they be operational the rest of the time?

Thank $deity I moved from Southend to Lancashire a couple of years ago.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Boycott anyone? Wink

Most definately no boycott. Not only do Keymed manufacture critical health care equipment but they also employ lots of local people and support a large number of charities and fundraising events for good causes.

http://www.keymed.co.uk/index.cfm
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jellyroll wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the fatal and serious accidents were caused by "lads" on their way to Southend on a Friday and Saturday night for an unofficial "cruise". ago.

Could also be the biker lads that meet at the Dick Turpin pub a little way towards London... Well actually it cant as the SPECs cameras ANPR detects number plates coming towards them and bikes dont have front number plates... So maybe that is why the DT Pub is not covered!!!

Am I being cynical again?
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyone know what this KeyMed Ltd. do?

Boycott anyone? Wink

Keymed manufacture a wide range of Hospital appliances,anything from what they hang a "blood bag" from to a medical trolley........I use to work for one of thier sub-contracters we made they stuck thier label on and sold it.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
topgearuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you know what's ironical about that, is nearly twice as many people die from MRSA every year then on the roads of Britain!

Shame they can't seem fit to spend that sort of cash in that area!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: