Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 V2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 V2 Reply with quote

A year on and Navman have not only released a cut down version of the iCN630 (dubbed the iCN620-with UK only maps and no 3D view) but they have also upgraded the iCN630 to Version 2 aka iCN630 V2.

We produced a mini review in February which was tailored more to existing Navman iCN630 owners, and people who have already tried the original iCN630, but this is now the full review that many of you have been waiting for! How do we rate the iCN630 V2 ? Read on!

Click here to read the review
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navman-icn630v2.php
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

A very good review, however in the Technical Specification you show the Processor as an Intel PAX250. This was the processor used in the original iCN 630's. I think you will now find that the iCN630 V2 and iCN 620 now incorporate the Intel PAX255. In saying this though, it's a bit confusing when the Product Brochures on the Navman Website shows conflicting information and quotes both versions.

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Hopefully you have the answer to this. In your review you talk about the size of Memory Card being used in an iCN 630, and you go on to say because of the size of the maps you might like to purchase a 256Mb or a 512Mb.

Whilst their Technical Spec. says up to 512Mb, Pages 9 & 71 of the iCN 630 V2 Navman User Guide limits the maximum size of card you can use to 256Mb. Confused In fact it says for general use a 64Mb or 128Mb is recommended.

During your comprehensive review, did you try a 512Mb Card and if so did it work OK Question It would be nice to know cos as you say they have really come down in price recently.

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention the routing algorithum having something wrong. I can tell you the basic problem (I think!). The average speed used is incorrect.

I was today in the centre of birmingham (After being directed down the Aston distress way - actually a good move cos of the traffic!) but it said I could get to my house in about 7 minutes - and was 6.7miles away. There are no roads that you can do 60mph down, let alone average 60.

Whether it is a problem with the geodata or the algorithum I don't know!

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
A very good review, however in the Technical Specification you show the Processor as an Intel PAX250. This was the processor used in the original iCN 630's. I think you will now find that the iCN630 V2 and iCN 620 now incorporate the Intel PAX255.

Intel quietly stopped making the PXA250 some while back and moved all production to the PXA255, which can be used as a drop-in replacement for the PXA250.

I'm a bit rusty on the precise hardware differences between the two - there are some errata fixed on the 255 (I believe the most significant fix is a bug in one that is present in the PXA250's use of its caches), also I believe the 255 can support a 200MHz memory bus if the memory bus is designed to run at this speed (this is not an automatic upgrade - the rest of the hardware has to be designed for a 200MHz memory bus). The PXA250 is limited to a 100MHz memory bus.

From memory, a PXA250 that reports itself to be a C<something> version is actually a 255. B<something> PXA250 processors really are PXA250s. You can see this information on some Pocket PCs in their Asset Viewer or similar.

As this is all from memory, I apologise if any of this is inaccurate. To an extent this is somewhat historic now, as it's something like a year since Intel made any PXA250 processors.

It's not usually worth getting too hung up on the differences between the PXA250 and PXA255.

David
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the V2 software for a few weeks now and so far have have no problems or complaints. I have maps loaded on a 512mb card and it does not seem to be an issue. It does take a little time for the ICN630 to load them, but then it seems to work fine.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
Whilst their Technical Spec. says up to 512Mb, Pages 9 & 71 of the iCN 630 V2 Navman User Guide limits the maximum size of card you can use to 256Mb. Confused In fact it says for general use a 64Mb or 128Mb is recommended.

During your comprehensive review, did you try a 512Mb Card and if so did it work OK Question It would be nice to know cos as you say they have really come down in price recently.

Alfie, I didn't test a 512mb card, Navman internally had told me back on V1 and V2 that there was no upward limit, however map sizes can be a problem like with the PPC version, but at the time of writing the manual 256mb cards were really only available under V1.

I have a couple of 512mb SD's here, but unfortunately they're fully loaded with other software so I can't give them a test.
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Review Comments - Navman iCN630 V2 Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for your reply, I just wondered if you had tried it with that size card. My reason for asking was there was a recent posting where the guy had bought an iCN 630 + 512Mb card and he was having problems, which appeared to be to do with with the card, and was looking for advice.

I have now sent an e-mail to Navman asking asking them to clarify the position regarding memory card sizes against their latest specification. Presumably now the unit has evolved a little more they should be in a better position to give an answer.

I'll keep you posted on any answer they let me have.

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Review Comments: Navman iCN 630 Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Navman replied to my e-mail today and they say that at the moment it will support most 512Mb cards. But Exclamation they say there are some slow / cheap SD cards around which are not suitable.

Again I have to admit I've not much of a clue as to if a card is good or bad, so I think I'll sit and wait until the dust settles and see what problems come up. I'm sure there are those far more experienced than me who will be able to give more advice. Question

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always lots of problems with SD cards when it comes to PDA's in general, lots of bad ones out there, generally ones that say Made In Japan are normally the better ones. DavidW has started several discussions regarding good and bad SD cards in the forums here.
Guybrush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Panasonic 512MB SD. When formated in FAT16, there is no pb.
I tried with a Sandisk 256MB SD. All right to.
But there is a bug (in french version) : we can not disable some map. So the start is a little bit slow (when there are 500MB of Map).
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You have not included your location in your Profile, so I'm presuming from your comment, regarding the bug in the French Maps, that you are in France Question Also is your iCN at V2 + SP1 Question

It does seem though, that the larger the SD card, coupled with the amount of maps loaded onto it ( in your case 500Mb) generally will cause the unit to run slower.

If you haven't already done so, it may well be worth notifying Navman of this particular 'bug'. Obviously the more feedback they get from Users then the more chance they have of sorting some of the problems out in future Upgrades/Service Packs.

Reagrds

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Guybrush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
You have not included your location in your Profile, so I'm presuming from your comment, regarding the bug in the French Maps, that you are in France Question Also is your iCN at V2 + SP1 Question

Yes from France.

AlfieB wrote:
It does seem though, that the larger the SD card, coupled with the amount of maps loaded onto it ( in your case 500Mb) generally will cause the unit to run slower.

The start is a little bit slow, but the menus are fast (enough).

AlfieB wrote:
If you haven't already done so, it may well be worth notifying Navman of this particular 'bug'.

I already contact Navman for somes troubles. Routing algorithum is sometime really bad! And we can not disable any maps!
I will try with a smaller SD (like 128Mo) to verify the speed of the unit.
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When Service Pack 2 is released Soon (well that is what Navman are saying ) then hopefull they will have addressed the problems that the users have been finding.

In the meanwhile it will be interesting to see when you use a 128Mb SD Card if you can then disable your maps Question and if it makes any difference to the speed of your iCN.

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: