Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Less Traffic Information Available on GPRS compared to LAN.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Less Traffic Information Available on GPRS compared to LAN.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:

As an aside, if you've got international roaming on your phone, does GPRS roam too? Will I be able to use Traffic in France (should it ever become usable) when I buy the European maps?

Technically GPRS does roam but you will need to check with your provider what roaming services and at what cost they are provided.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in france (and on orange) then effectively you can roam without changing any settings.

Cost could be a major issue though as with orange via orange fr the cost is £10 per 1 mb uploaded/downloaded. I had a data bill of just over £140 last year after 3 weeks on holiday in france and doing some work there as well. On one horrible day I was forced to send a total of 10 mb's of attachments to emails - made me weep all the way to the bar to buy my £5 pint of lager (why is beer so expensive in bars and cheap in supermarkets?) whilst I was sending them.

One thing I have noticed is that the orange signal for voice and data appears to be more consistent in france than in rural england.

Is the traffic info betterin France? - I'm about to remove it from my ipaq but am off to France in a 2 weeks so it maybe useful then.
The_Pilgrim
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all
O2 does roam but the costs are HUGE ill try and find an old bill and give you some idea.

The Pilgrim
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: My two penneth Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ipaq 5550
Orange pre paid GPS15
Sony T610

I downloaded and installed Traffic a few weeks ago. For the first 2 days of use (High Wycombe, A404, M40/M4 to Uxbridge, M25 from 17 to 14) I was getting continual full updates. Set it to every couple of minutes and no problems.

I did not use it for a week and since then on the 1st to 3rd update I get all incidents (140-170 normally). Then I seem to get a few updates of 40 (always 40) and then it drops out although I can still surf. I would agree with the caching thought except that I cant see why I can get the complete update the first couple of times.

Has anyone else noticed the GPRS options in their phone? I have all sorts of options to fiddle with, under Quality of Service: Precedence (Subscribed, High Normal and Low) Delay (Subscribed, Class 1 to 3 and Best Effort) Reliability (Class 1 to 5) Peak rate and Mean rate (Subscribed and Class's 1 to 5)

Not been able to find much on these. I have tried playing around wihout any luck.

Regards Tim
JamesShannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Fix is on the way... Reply with quote

I've been helping TomTom resolve this one and they've certainly nailed what the issue with Orange (orangeinternet APN) was, and I suspect the other networks (apart from Vodafone apparently) are using the same tricks. I'd expect an updated version imminently.

The '4 connection limit' is also resolved.

--James
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix is on the way... Reply with quote

Hi James,

JamesShannon wrote:
I've been helping TomTom resolve this one and they've certainly nailed what the issue with Orange (orangeinternet APN) was, and I suspect the other networks (apart from Vodafone apparently) are using the same tricks. I'd expect an updated version imminently. The '4 connection limit' is also resolved.

Many thanks for the information. Will the updated version of TT Travel be all that we will need, or will we need to reconfigure the BT modem settings on the PDAs, or even change the settings on the phones/network?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
JamesShannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix is on the way... Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi James,
Many thanks for the information. Will the updated version of TT Travel be all that we will need, or will we need to reconfigure the BT modem settings on the PDAs, or even change the settings on the phones/network?
Regards,

Just an updated Navigator (Traffic) application.

--James
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

Any news on when TomTom will release the new update? Smile

It’s been a week since we heard that TomTom have a solution and I’d like to try a version of Traffic that doesn’t keep disconnecting from GPRS. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
JamesShannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Any news on when TomTom will release the new update? Smile

It’s been a week since we heard that TomTom have a solution and I’d like to try a version of Traffic that doesn’t keep disconnecting from GPRS. Thumbs Up
Regards,

Although I clearly can't speak for TomTom, the update was released to the wider beta group on Monday, so I'd expect them to allow at least a week for any feedback from that group before publishing the update.

--James

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: