Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go520 Latest Map Guarantee
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go520 Latest Map Guarantee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EGC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Go520 Latest Map Guarantee Reply with quote

In late October I purchased a new Go520 from Amazon UK. It arrived all nicely sealed and obviously brand new.
I created a TomTom account (via Home) and updated the software etc etc. Had no problems until I tried to update to the latest map (via their 'latest map guarantee'). It tried to download then it stopped.
I tried to update again recently but got the 'offer expired' message, so was unable to use the latest map guarantee.

I have contacted TT customer service and got the following rather odd reply from their CS assistant:

"I have checked the history of the barcode, it seems on the day before dispatch of the device (according to the delivery details on the E-mail) the seller has connected the tomtom and used the latest map download, as it is a one time offer the seller has used it before shipping it to you. Please take this up with the seller as I have already said, it is a one time offer."

I am baffled by this because the box arrived sealed and there is no evidence that the device was used before I got it. Surely they would have had to create a unique account for the device (no evidence of that)? I can't imagine them opening the boxes and updating the device the day before despatch.

The map on the Go520 is UK & RoI v715.1703 Would that have been the latest version at around 21st October 2008 (which would have been the day before despatch)??
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst their response appears to suck...it may in reality be true. If the Tom Tom came from a partner supplier of Amazon they may, have updated the map a while ago to sell it as "latest maps installed" or something like that and resealed it. You never know. Of course Tom Tom may well have their facts wrong.....and read your attempted download as the supplier doing it. If you mentioned this to them I would have thought they would have asked what version you are on...hence your question on this I suppose. If they think you are on a higher map then you are then, hopefully , mystery solved and they should allow you to update. But this is Tom Tom....

However I noticed on Amazon that there is no mention of the 520 or 720 being refurbished which I would have thought ALL of the x20 models would be now ?

If they were new then the once only upgrade doesn't apply and you get the longer option or does it ?

I would take this up with Amazon and see what they say but the supplier should not be opening and updating TTs then resealing like they were "new"......thats the buyers choice. Sounds odd to me

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Go520 Latest Map Guarantee Reply with quote

EGC wrote:

Had no problems until I tried to update to the latest map (via their 'latest map guarantee'). It tried to download then it stopped.
I tried to update again recently but got the 'offer expired' message, so was unable to use the latest map guarantee.

I think your answer lies in your question.
You said "it tried to download" meaning that it must have been valid otherwise it would have told you there and then that it expired.

The fact that it then stopped is your problem, as it is a one shot only deal so when you then re-tried it would be expired.

You need to contact TT again and explain this to them. Specifically ask them to what account the map was loaded and did it complete? If it did then it may still be in your PC which you used to connect via Home.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
EGC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys.

TT Customer Service wanted screenshots of all the technical data from TT Home (showing map version and the fact that I had not updated it) - all this was sent to them. I don't think there is any question that I didn't update it, but they are saying that the supplier did, and they day before it was shipped out, which seems very odd.
I have contacted the supplier for their comment.

I am sure that my 520 was brand new because all the components were in sealed bags and there were no fingerprints on it (I'm a bit paranoid about being sold 'used' items as brand new, so I check my new stuff very carefully for signs of handling).

I really suspect that TT CS are giving me the brush-off on this one.

Can anyone confirm what was the latest version of UK & RoI map that would have been downloaded about 21st Oct 2008, when TT allege my supplier would have done the update?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGC wrote:
Can anyone confirm what was the latest version of UK & RoI map that would have been downloaded about 21st Oct 2008, when TT allege my supplier would have done the update?

It should have been the v810 release that your device was offered assuming the Navcore application installed had been updated to 8,010 prior to using the LMG.

Out of interest what Navcore version is running on the device? - tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box to display this information - Mike
EGC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mikealder"]
EGC wrote:

Out of interest what Navcore version is running on the device? - tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box to display this information - Mike

Its currently running v8.3 because I updated it to that via TT Home. IIRC it came delivered with v7.9 ?? certainly is was 7.something. Didn't check too carefully because naturally one of the first things I did was to attempt to update the device to the latest Navcore and maps.

I'm really not happy with TT's attitude on this. I know the 520 is now obsolete, but a major factor in buying it was that I knew I could have the LMG, and now it seems that they will not honour it. I really don't believe them when they tell me that the supplier updated the device the day prior to shipping. The supplier must have been sending out hundreds of items each day - I don't believe they would take the time to unpack each TT, hook it up and update it, then repack it and reseal it. It just doesn't sound plausible and in fact sounds a downright lie when I find that the map is an old version.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As supplied it will have been running one of the following:

7,221 (most probable)

Now you have it running 8,300 it should offer the v815 map using the LMG unless it has been used before.

I would scan the receipts/ or send copies of the invoices to TomTom to prove when you purchased the device, the LMG should apply to the end user and a retailer wouldn't have time to pratt about updating units this way with units they were selling.

What you really need to do though is copy the entire device to your PC amking a Windows Backup before you go any further with this, if you had a true day 01 back up you would know what it was supplied with - Mike
EGC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I would scan the receipts/ or send copies of the invoices to TomTom to prove when you purchased the device, the LMG should apply to the end user and a retailer wouldn't have time to pratt about updating units this way with units they were selling.

Thanks for your reply.

I sent an electronic copy of the order and the invoice to TomTom CS along with my original query. What they are saying is that the LMG download was used by the retailer one day prior to the dispatch date shown on that invoice (as per the quote in my original post on this thread - where I inserted a direct cut-and-paste of the answer I got from TT CS).
To be honest I think its insulting that TT expect me to swallow this cock-and-bull story and clearly, for whatever reason, they don't intend to honour the LMG on my device. I'm disgusted to be honest. Yes, it was an obsolete model, but it still cost me £140. On the box it states latest maps and there is even a green 'latest maps guarantee' leaflet inside the box.

I DO have an original backup of the device taken when I first received it, but given TT CS attitude I'm not sure how this will help me. They have changed the status of my query to 'answered'. I assume I have no redress against them? It is certainly a questionable way to conduct business and not a route to getting repeat custom.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Home have you been using?

My son's download of the new maps was interrupted, and he was unable to access them in Home to download again. After many fruitless phone calls and emails to TomTom he installed the latest version of Home (2.5) when it was released and found the maps available for download.
Samsung Galaxy S21
EGC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
What version of Home have you been using?

2.4 and then 2.5 when it was released.
I now just get the 'expired' message when I try to do the map download because its now over 30 days since I purchase the unit.

I will never again criticise people who pirate TT software, if this is the way they treat honest paying customers.
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased a new x20 model in October or November and whether the LMG was honoured. It could be that TT have simply decided they will no longer honour LMG on these old stock products....?
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a refurb 520 from totalpda, ordered Sunday delivered wednesday navcore updated to 8.3 by 4 pm new map downloaded with LMG by 5pm.

theripper
Hughesynights
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 920 in November, and LMG worked fine.

You should send it back to the retailer (with the response from tomtom) and demand a refund. If what tomtom say is true, the goods were faulty.
If they argue, speak to your credit card company and threaten the retailer with action through the small claims court.

It does sound like tomtom are being daft about it though, since your device clearly hasn't actually got the latest map, and you should have it under LMG.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is of any help I used my LMG on 24th October on the 530 and got the 810 map.

Needless to say shortly afterwards 8.15 was released and I wish I had waited until the near the end of the 30 days of the LMG as I would have got that version free.
EGC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Retailer seems to be helpful. They say that the unit was brand new and unopened (they have sold many hundreds). They are taking it up with TomTom on my behalf.
TT CS seem to behave completely stupidly. I'm a loyal customer (had TTN5 and 6 on PDA's) but this really does leave a bad taste.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my sympathy EGC... I started to download the ver 720 map for my Go 520, using the LMG, on the day that ver 810 was available for download... After much wrangling with Tom Tom, during which they actually tried to say that I had downloaded a week BEFORE I had even purchased the unit, their final descicion was, that I had used my LMG two days before I actually had... I even sent them copies of my download history from my ISP, proving that apart from the actual download I had made, on the day that ver 810 was available, my average usage had been about 20Mb per day for that week.
They eventually became quite shirty with me, and the last operator I spoke to said that Tom Tom thought that it was dishonest of customers to wait until near the end of the LMG period, to hopefully take advantage of a later map, as Tom Tom only guarantee that you may have the latest map, as available ON THE DAY OF PURCHASE of the device... and that was an end to my support question.

Alan.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: