Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map updates - Expected updates not shown
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map updates - Expected updates not shown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Map updates - Expected updates not shown Reply with quote

I have just downloaded and installed the Q4 2008 map release for my 8110 and first thing I did was to check 2 changes I submitted to Navteq.
Now before anyone shouts that updates can take a while, take a look at this;

NAVTEQ Tracking Number NVTQ000000889212
User Tracking Number
Submitted On May 24, 2008
Modified On December 6, 2008
Status Closed
Navigation System Navigon 8110
Release Quarter Q4 2008
Problem
Problem Category Traffic Restriction
Problem Modifier remove restriction
Restriction Type Other
Problem Description Crompton Road and Merlin way are actually joined. On the map and Navigon it shows as two seperate roads so it refuses to route this way.
There is actually a mini island which links the two roads.

NAVTEQ Tracking Number NVTQ000000886372
User Tracking Number
Submitted On May 17, 2008
Modified On December 6, 2008
Status Closed
Navigation System Navigon 8110
Release Quarter Q4 2008
Problem
Problem Category Point of Interest (POI) (bank, store, etc.)
Problem Modifier POI has incorrect details (location,category,phone number,etc.)
POI Name Texaco
POI Category Petrol/Gasoline Station
Address Ladywood Road
Ilkeston
DE7
GBR
Problem Description Was a Fina garage, is now a Texaco

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Q4 2008 information only appeared when Navteq closed the report to show they had actioned it. Some were closed back when the Navigon was using Q2 maps.

So my question is, what is going on and are we being duped into Map updates which haven't actually changed. If this update had cost me money I would have gone straight to Trading Standards.

Please can someone in the know explain what is going on.. I have added comments to my changes but not sure if Navteq read any comments posted to closed reports and I have no idea how else to contact them.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been submitting corrections to them for 18 months. None of them made it on the latest maps. I even discovered a cinema that had been pulled down in 1998 still marked as a POI on the 2009 maps.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I've been submitting corrections to them for 18 months. None of them made it on the latest maps. I even discovered a cinema that had been pulled down in 1998 still marked as a POI on the 2009 maps.

I really do feel mislead, as if the updates I sent were not included (POI name change must have been very easy to correct it's just a change of name).
How many other changes are not on the map?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads.

There is s a new estate near us. The maps still reflect the original planned layout and not the actual final layout, so routing into or through it is a nightmare. I reported the problem in early 2006 - still not on the 2009 maps. I didn't keep the Submission reference from back then but in a recent re-submission they acknowledge the map is wrong but conclude the NavTeq database is correct which i thought would mean it would appear on the newest maps.

Another submission i made in June 2008 is still open with no comments.

I don't understand it because the maps are a core part of the whole point of sat nav but they can't even get those up to date.

Then again look at the TT forum and the problems TA.....

I think a lot of corrections are made from Google Maps etc as this would explain the error on the estate above and the road that goes through a local Pub Car Park and exits through a brick wall....
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a reply from Navteq;

"From your response it would appear the Q4 release of NAVTEQ differs from the Q4 release of the manufacturer. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of your device for further assistance."

So why not make it clear and have GPS manufacturers use different release numbers or something.
What I find odd is Navteq claim they have made the changes yet there own website shows the none joined roads, which they say is corrected.

Makes me wonder who is telling the truth... oh well no point in complaining to Navigon about it... at least the MAJOR junction change in Derby City Centre is now correct.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: