Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I know where you are and what you're doing!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I know where you are and what you're doing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Location Based Services (LBS)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: I know where you are and what you're doing! Reply with quote

I'm currently attending the CTIA 2008 Show, Las Vegas where a number of security firms are plying their wares.

GPS coupled with location based services (LBS) presents more circumstances for increased levels of crime. Information as to where people are, patterns in their movements, whether their home is empty or not will be a Godsend for many criminals. Conversely that same electronic trail will help the police trace those very criminals... well, maybe some of them.

There are emerging technologies out there to help ease our minds. For instance, on the way home after your 'connected' night out (see GPS to Widen The Human Gene Pool) you may know exactly where the nearest tracked licenced taxi is and whether it's for hire or not, but when you're in the taxi you're maybe feeling a little unsafe...

Help is at hand; you can activate a GPS tracking device with a predetermined 'emergency' time lapse to alert, say, a parent, partner or friend to monitor your journey and to react if you haven't reset the device before the emergency time lapses. See Rave Wireless

GPS based safety solutions are obviously very attractive for worried parents and I believe that the current massively growing population of tracked children will take (turn-offable) tracking for all ages for granted in the future. It may even become the norm to track childrens' journeys to school to reduce lateness or truancy.

Omnilink Systems are currently exhibiting this week at CTIA. They provide real-time 'safety and security' location of people and assets through a combined cellular and GPS system. They say that their judicial solutions are transforming offender monitoring by providing officers with immediate visibility to offender locations anytime, anywhere, indoors or out.

Omnilink's solutions are utilized in a wide range of situations such as tracking Alzheimer’s patients, those under house arrest, tracking bank bags, covertly surveying vehicle movements and monitoring offenders and ex-offenders on parole or probation.

Police forces can also set up 'mobile exclusion zones' around gang members wearing the Omnilink device. It can detect when they are in proximity to each other, when they’re at forbidden addresses or when they’re close to a potential victim, notifying appropriate monitoring officers.

Last edited by RobBrady on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although some of the ideas based around this are positive as tracking children and their whereabouts, but others are extremely negative, do we really want to be tracked by friends, a wife, a husband or anyone else who thinks they have the right to, it's not a case of deceit but our freedom will be gone for ever.

Tracking adults has very sinister undertones, I can see it being usefull with criminals, but there is already a world full of weirdo's - what a horrible thought as to the possible senarios.

Initially they are talking about this technology going on a BlackBerry which will be too expensive for the average person, but what is next, maybe a chip placed under the skin when born, (as an ID chip placed on your dog by the vet) no thanks, count me out.

I am glad that at 58 I won't be included into this very much, during the years that i have left, but i feel sorry for the future generations which include my children and any grandchildren.

The future human race is going to loose it's freedom and become robotic.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot agree more to what you said. We need to consider what is worse and make our choice.

1)Should we track criminals but also loose our freedom,

2) or should we keep our freedom and find other "maybe" less ineffective ways to track criminals?
My choice would be undoubtly the second.
I would hate to leave in a robotic society when someone can act as a god and watch your whole life.

I only hope people realize their rights and actual react to such horrible things
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press released today:

CTIA-The Wireless Association® Announces Best Practices for Location-Based Services

WASHINGTON, DC – CTIA- The Wireless Association® today unveiled “Best Practices and Guidelines for Location-Based Services (LBS).” With strong support from the nation’s leading carriers and input from LBS providers and industry stakeholders, this voluntary initiative was developed to promote and protect consumer privacy through user notice and consent.

“Guarding the privacy of user location information is a top priority, and that’s why the wireless industry came together on a voluntary basis to establish these guidelines for location-based services.” said Steve Largent, President and CEO of CTIA-The Wireless Association®. “As more and more Americans are tapping into all that cutting-edge, location-based technology has to offer, the industry is working hard to stay ahead of the game by identifying and actively addressing concerns earlier rather than later.”

The hallmarks of the Guidelines are user notice and consent. The Guidelines place a premium on these two fundamental principles because it is the LBS user whose privacy is most at risk if location information is misused or disclosed without authorization. Notably, LBS providers must inform users about how their location information will be used, disclosed and protected so each user can make informed decisions whether or not to use the LBS or authorize disclosure.

“The Guidelines outline numerous examples to help educate consumers, stakeholders, and policymakers on the complexity and range of issues involved with location-based services,” continued Largent.

“The decision to use an LBS service ultimately lies with the consumer, and wireless carriers and LBS providers participating in this important industry initiative are committed to help consumers make informed decisions by giving them notice up-front about how their location information will be used, disclosed and protected.”

The Guidelines are flexible enough to anticipate future LBS developments and the Guidelines apply regardless of the technology or mobile device used, or the business model employed. When using services from LBS providers that have adopted these Guidelines, consumers can be confident that the privacy of their location information will be protected as described in LBS notices.

For information about "Best Practices and Guidelines for Location-Based Services" and the Location Based Services Action Team, please go to: Best Practices and Guidelines for Location Based Services

Also, check out this link and listen to a podcast about LBS and the newly established guidelines:
###
CTIA is the international association for the wireless telecommunications industry, representing carriers, manufacturers and wireless Internet providers.
www.ctia.org
nadiamirian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are applications where people can actually make use of these things already available? I heard about the facebook application, and that the police already makes use of tracking people through the mobile phone, but are there any other applications already available, where you can track your kids , wife, prisoners etc via phone?

Would be interersting to know if there are...

Nadia
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nadia,

You might be interested in this forum: Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking
SunnyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scares the ^&%$ out of me!

Yes, there might be "guidelines" agreed by the industry. Just like there are guidelines for "responsible lending" intended to avoid people having their homes repossessed for stupid loans - and despite the best of intentions from companies claiming to sign up to such guidelines, it somehow always end up being the individuals that loose out.

Unfortunately LBS cannot be "un-invented". The cat is out of the bag.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good opportunity for some entrepreneur to start making and selling Baco Foil overcoats.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Location Based Services (LBS) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: