Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now need it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now need it
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warthog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now need it Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a tomtom 910, which came with europe and usa maps. However, I deleted the usa maps, when I first had it not thinking that I would ever need them, but now we are taking the kids to florida on hols in Jan and it would be useful to take with us.

I have the plastic card that came with the 910, with code on for the usa maps, but I don't have any cd with the map on.

I spoke to the TomTom support line and they basically said tough and that I need to purchase the map again. A little unfair I thought, as I can prove that I have a code and I just need a copy of the map to load onto the tomtom.

Is there anyone who can help me out and send me a copy of the map. I will of course pay for the postage etc. My email address is

Admin Edit: email address removed. PaulB2005

Thanks,
Richard.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had a similar request some time ago here and the advise about maps being locked to units still holds true. You can't load someone elses maps on your unit.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now nee Reply with quote

warthog wrote:
I spoke to the TomTom support line and they basically said tough and that I need to purchase the map again. A little unfair I thought, as I can prove that I have a code and I just need a copy of the map to load onto the tomtom.

i wouldn't it was unfair! if you bought a new tv and threw away the remote control thinking you'd never use it as your fingers functioned adequately, you'd hardly expect the manufacturer to send you a new one, would you?!

as paul stated, maps are locked to devices for obvious reasons.

MaFt
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unfortunate that you didn't save a copy or saved your original backup.
As others have said the maps are locked to your device.
I just looked on the TT site and you can pick up a map for $29.95 GBP for just the S/E US Map or all of N/A for 49.95 GBP

It would probably cost you that to add one to your car rental or more.
warthog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

The request that I made over 3 years ago, was to purchase a map for france for the original tomtom go unit.

I have since bought the 910 unit. You make it sound that I am trying to get something for nothing.

So, if the maps are locked to each unit then why bother put the plastic card with the codes on in the box. On the back of the card it reads "keep this code for product activation, support and future map upgrades"

I would like to active the n-america map using it, but I don't have it. Please explain.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have since bought the 910 unit. You make it sound that I am trying to get something for nothing.

Sorry if you felt like that. It wasn't my intention. It was just the question was similar i.e. you wanted to install maps that had already been locked to one unit to your unit.

Quote:
So, if the maps are locked to each unit then why bother put the plastic card with the codes on in the box. On the back of the card it reads "keep this code for product activation, support and future map upgrades"

I would like to active the n-america map using it, but I don't have it. Please explain.

It's probably so you can lock unlocked maps to your unit. However you can't use the codes to transfer maps already locked to one unit to another one.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now nee Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
warthog wrote:

i wouldn't it was unfair! if you bought a new tv and threw away the remote control thinking you'd never use it as your fingers functioned adequately, you'd hardly expect the manufacturer to send you a new one, would you?!

MaFt
That's not the same as a remote is something physical and it would cost the manufacturer to supply a replacement. A map is just some software that could be downloaded. Once you have bought a licence to use the software you should be able to download it as often as you like as long as it's still locked to the same device.
warthog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support nashmills.

If I buy a new computer, and format the hard disk, then the computer is supplied with a restore CD, that I can use to get the computer back to a factory shipped situation.

This is basically the same that I want to do for my TomTom. I think you will all agree it's not too much to ask is it ?
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Copy of usa map wanted. Deleted mine and now nee Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
warthog wrote:

MaFt

MMMMmmm sorry... but IMO it is unfair, a remote control is hardware, it has to be manufactured and sent through the post, a cost to somebody, but software is sent via the internet, its not hardware but software.... a massive difference. TT units should really be shipped with a backup CD. After all you did pay for it along with your TT unit. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's been discussed before. The actual map file is exactly the same for all TomToms, a code is needed to unlock it. If you have a code which is legal for a particular version of the map, then downloading this map and activating it using the aforesaid legal code shouldn't be a problem.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "product code" card supplied with a 910 device is most probably for the v650 maps, whilst these are quite old compared to the more recent releases they are better than nothing.

Not everyone takes backups of their device and PC failure can cause problems for even the most diligent, but given a map folder from another user the map won't work on his device, using the code number on the plastic card will activate the map allowing use without breaking any rules.

At the end of the day if a user can input the device codes and product code to the www.ttcode.com web site and generate an activation code (or unlock code) that works there is nothing wrong in what they have done, remember the 910 was released using the old way of map activation prior to the all singing and dancing Home version - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warthog wrote:
If I buy a new computer, and format the hard disk, then the computer is supplied with a restore CD, that I can use to get the computer back to a factory shipped situation.

I got these with a Time branded PC about 12 years ago having paid waay over the odds for the bundle, but I would suggest this is quite rare now.

1 HP, 1 Tosh and 2 Acer laptops in my household and none came with a restore disc. Just a restore partition on the HD.

Unfortunately the onus is on the end user to protect their investment by making the backup discs.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warthog wrote:
Thanks for the support nashmills.

This is basically the same that I want to do for my TomTom. I think you will all agree it's not too much to ask is it ?

As Mullet has said, that is not the fact these days. Very few OEM PC's come with the install CD's. If you choose to format then you lose access to the OS supplied unless you backup the utility partition or pay extra for the OS CD Media.

if I buy a music track on iTunes and then at some later point delete it I cannot simply re-download it, I'd have to repurchase unless I'd backed it up.

Whilst i sympathise, the fact is you will have to buy a new map if you wish to have US access.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
if I buy a music track on iTunes and then at some later point delete it I cannot simply re-download it, I'd have to repurchase unless I'd backed it up.

As I understand it, this it not the case. iTunes will allow you to download it again free of charge so long as you've bought it before. But yes, the duty is on the purchaser to take appropriate care. Someone who removes files from their satnav should not complain if they then lose them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
As I understand it, this it not the case. iTunes will allow you to download it again free of charge so long as you've bought it before.

Drifting OT but that is not the case.

Apple iTunes Support Article

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: