Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Car preferences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Car preferences
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
uffe73 wrote:
Ok, avoiding low bridges requires a POI list of bridges, but I'm sure TomTom could collect that information easily.
/Ulf

Just like they 'easily' collect the data on speed cams? Shocked

To be fair (though why I should be fair to TT I don't know), cameras do change and extra cams are added and even some removed, but low bridges tend to be fairly static. Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
uffe73 wrote:
Ok, avoiding low bridges requires a POI list of bridges, but I'm sure TomTom could collect that information easily.
/Ulf

To be fair (though why I should be fair to TT I don't know), cameras do change and extra cams are added and even some removed, but low bridges tend to be fairly static. Very Happy

You're right. I dont think that there would be many in the 'mobile' category Shocked
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: I didn't see norm2002's answer earlier, which was pretty much identical to mine. Smile

M8TJT wrote:
uffe73 wrote:
/Ulf

Just like that. Smile....with the only difference that bridges tend to be slightly more permanent than speed cameras... Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
If only it WERE that simple, don't you think all the satnav makers would have done it by now?

Sure it's easy to add the checkboxes, but what do they *do*? Very Happy

Most of the data needed for implementing these extra features should already be included in the maps via the road categories so I don't see the problem. Ok, avoiding low bridges requires a POI list of bridges, but I'm sure TomTom could collect that information easily.
/Ulf

Yes, but my point was that you said "ALL it required was adding a few checkboxes". No it doesn't.

It would need a complete rewrite of the core navigation software to introduce an "Avoid POI" function.

And even then, for all your suggestions except the low bridges, it is not simply avoiding a POI which is a single point on the map, it involves avoiding a whole area. This is already done with the congestion charge area, so it's perfectly possible to do it, and I completely agree that it would be a fantastic addition, but it isn't just adding a few boxes, otherwise they would have done it long ago..
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right of courrse. Adding a few check boxes isn't enough for implementi these features. It takes some code behind the buttons.

I'm not an expert of routing algoritms, but I don't see the big difference between implementing Avoid motorways from implementing Plan HGV route, provided that the map contains the data for checking the criteria. Isn't it all about applying a filter when calculating the route? But, then again, I don't know the details of TomTom's routing algoritms so I may be oversimplifying things. Smile
I believe the main question here is if the current maps contain enough information for evaluating the criterias needed for implementing the features I was suggesting. It seems that the TomTom's products are mainly fousing on customers driving private cars, rather than professional drivers, and therefore only includes the map details needed for fulfilling their needs.

Anyway, I have received an answer to my original question, so this is a bit off topic. Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that TeleAtlas and Navteq have a LOT more miscellaneous data in their mapping than most satnav makers use, manufacturers such as tomTom only buy the "layers" that they need, so it would be an extra cost to them to add things like height and weight restrictions (how much extra, I have NO idea!)

Having said that, TomTom now own TeleAtlas, of course.....
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low bridge, dangerous bends ect. POIs are readily available to purchase online, but as my vehicle is below 10' tall, they are not so much of a worry... it is the narrow roads/lanes facility that would be most useful... and it is no use just trying to avoid "B" class roads, as some of those are actually wider than some of the narrower "A" class roads in various parts of the UK...

I have only seen narrow roads POIs advertised as part of a package on one HGV site, and I read on this forum a few weeks ago, that this particular companies package, was not value for money.

I believe that the sort of vehicle recognition I would like to see on the Go devices, is available on, for example the Pronav device by Navevo, which is having very mixed reviews in our HGV/Motorhome Lounge... however, it proves that it is possible, even with current mapping.

Ah ! well... thank goodness for itinerary planning.

Alan.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as AlandEi states, a sat nav is not an excuse for poor planning!! there is no need for hgv drivers to go down small country lanes after blindly following a sat nav...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: