Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Mapping Software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Mapping Software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian2u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Best Mapping Software? Reply with quote

Just got an A10, so sorry for risk of dumb question.
Also just worked out that I may have to buy the OS Map data twice, well three times since our Taxes paid for it initially!!

I want something I can work out walk routes on, throughout UK, transfer to the A10, and transfer back the track log from the A10 a walk I have done. I also want to build up a library of walks, likely to be in 100's and to be able to display these on a PC to select best one for an area to then download to the A10.

Because of the OS Data cost will have to stick with 50K on mapping software, having spent a fair bit on 25K for the A10.

What Mapping Software is available and are there any sites with comparisons / reviews of these.

Thanks for your help

Ian
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

different peopke have different ways of doing this.

My method involves either using Memory Map or Anquet mapping software
I then plot a route that i want to walk.
I then border the area on the screen and print a screen dump.
I then take this screen dump, A10 AND the OS map of the region with me on the walk.
The OS map is just in case 1) the batteries fail
2) unit malfunctions
3) the screen dump sheet gets waterlogged

During the walk the A10 is entering a trail which i download whence back home and SAVE (library) to then dowload to the above quoted mapping software.

Both Memory map and Anquet can load to from A10 BUT it might be simpler to use Memory map. Bought the North of England that covers where I do MOST of my walking.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the long awaited SatMap on-line planning will do the trick - once they get it up and running.
Until then try
http://maps.the-hug.net/index.php
http://maps.the-hug.net/index.php
Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Ian, Memory Map is a good package although it can get costly purchasing the full UK, Quo is another Topo mapping product using OS maps which works out far cheaper due to their method of purchasing small map tiles should you only need small areas.
There is also an online OS map that can be used for route planning, finally don't forget Satmap are also promising there own online route planner service using OS maps which will be free to owners of the active10 - If I were you I would wait a while for the Satmap planner, or make do with the existing online planner by the Hug - Mike
PreshawPete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Satmap PC Software Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum Ian, Memory Map is a good package although it can get costly purchasing the full UK, Quo is another Topo mapping product using OS maps which works out far cheaper due to their method of purchasing small map tiles should you only need small areas.
There is also an online OS map that can be used for route planning, finally don't forget Satmap are also promising there own online route planner service using OS maps which will be free to owners of the active10 - If I were you I would wait a while for the Satmap planner, or make do with the existing online planner by the Hug - Mike

Mike - do you have any idea when this will become available? Autumn 2008 was the promise and Christmas is nearly here! Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have no idea or updates since Satmap last mentioned the online route planned was in the hands of the legal chaps and OS:

Quote:
The online route planner is complete, but legally we can not post it up until we have a written contract from OS allowing you to have free access to 1:25k mapping. We showcased the route planner at the Earls Court show in October, and the response was phenomenal, many people recognise that this is a big development for OS mapping route planning facilities in the UK. So as you can imagine no one is more eager to get the route planner up and running than ourselves here at Satmap. Unfortunately the situation is now completely out of our hands, but is in the hands of the OS legal team. We have been promised the route planner will be signed off this month, so are awaiting news to that effect.

The route planner will also go hand in hand with an online route sharing forum, which will allow you to upload and download routes to and from your unit. The routes will be arranged in categories such as hard or easy and walking or cycling. The walking profile will include the length of the route, with a description and pictures thus allowing you to do an advanced search for your county/country of choice.

Many thanks for your ongoing support of satmap.

If I hear something though I will post it within the Satmap forum section as there are quite a few of use waiting/ wanting to use this - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be very soon...I've just received this morning my copy of 'Walk', (ramblers quarterly magazine,) and there's a SatMap ad: "Free...Now with online route planner."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: