Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nearly there ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nearly there ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The route planner is all but finished, we are currently testing it in house. It wasn’t supposed to be put up on the website last week, our service provider put it up there before we had tested it in house, so obviously we pulled it as soon as we found out. Everything’s looking great and its quite an exciting time for us here as we have been pushing for this for a long time, rest assured we are trying to get it up there A.S.A.P! Our part with the planner is now finished but before we can put it up we have to wait for the written contract from OS allowing us to post 1:25k mapping up on there. As soon as this is signed and sealed the route planner will go up.

Does anybody have a update on the release date?

cosmic
bluewomble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it will be 'sometime next week'... i.e. still a few months away...
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmap's latest advertising (as published in MBR magazine) states that online route planning is available!
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rog62 said
Quote:
Satmap's latest advertising (as published in MBR magazine) states that online route planning is available!

But I think it always did. Its just that we have got used to it not being there.
Satsync 1.525
Geoff_M29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the link is there now! Click on 'Shop' tab and a new tab for route planner appears on the right hand side. Confused
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appears to be undergoing maintenance Shocked
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Online route planner Reply with quote

Benoit wrote:
...get access to OS maps for the whole of the UK for free, anytime. They said it will be 50,000:1, not 25:000:1 mapping, due to their agreement with OS, and are just waiting for OS to sign it off before putting it live.

I think this is really a lot of extra value for the A10, as they said, they are effectively giving away Memory Map's product. I just hope it all gets sorted without the customary 2-3 months of "it's coming next week"!

Also, they said there's a new firmware version 1.3 due for release in the next few weeks, so hopefully this will solve a few of the remaining glitches such as random failure to start recording the trail, and the inability to have "track up" in advanced power saving mode.

Don't get too excited, they are not giving a lot away. Anyone can obtain a key from the OS and set up a site displaying 1:50,000 maps, the only requirements are that it is open to all and no profit is gained. See http://openspace.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/openspace/
I admit there is a ceiling on use but I haven't hit it yet. Presumably they are paying the OS for extra bandwidth.

That said it will be nice to have something tailored for the Satmap that could be a standard.

Of even more interest is the firmware version 1.3 and I await this with interest.
Activator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff_M29 wrote:
At least the link is there now! Click on 'Shop' tab and a new tab for route planner appears on the right hand side. Confused

Not anymore. It's disappeared again. Rolling Eyes
blondegirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: On-line route planner, satmap emailed me: response Reply with quote

Hi guys, I sent satmap a question regarding the online route planner and this is the response that I got from a Lewis Price, hope this helps Smile
Quote:
The online route planner is complete, but legally we can not post it up until we have a written contract from OS allowing you to have free access to 1:25k mapping. We showcased the route planner at the Earls Court show in October, and the response was phenomenal, many people recognise that this is a big development for OS mapping route planning facilities in the UK. So as you can imagine no one is more eager to get the route planner up and running than ourselves here at Satmap. Unfortunately the situation is now completely out of our hands, but is in the hands of the OS legal team. We have been promised the route planner will be signed off this month, so are awaiting news to that effect.

The route planner will also go hand in hand with an online route sharing forum, which will allow you to upload and download routes to and from your unit. The routes will be arranged in categories such as hard or easy and walking or cycling. The walking profile will include the length of the route, with a description and pictures thus allowing you to do an advanced search for your county/country of choice.

Many thanks for your ongoing support of satmap.
Geoff_M29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: On-line route planner, satmap emailed me: response Reply with quote

blondegirl wrote:
Hi guys, I sent satmap a question regarding the online route planner and this is the response that I got from a Lewis Price, hope this helps Smile

The online route planner is complete, but legally we can not post it up until we have a written contract from OS allowing you to have free access to 1:25k mapping.

1:25K eh? Sounds promising! Very Happy
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's happened to Darren's comment, a few minutes back ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
So, what's happened to Darren's comment, a few minutes back ?

I've removed it as I'm satisfied the post was not cause for concern.
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Nearly There Reply with quote

I see in the Telegraph Magazine on Saturday there is an article on gadgets one of which is Satmap Active10. It says "Registered users can visit satmap.com for route plans that can then be downloaded to the device, but it will work straight out of the box."

Are Satmap any nearer getting agreement from Ordnance Survey?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: