Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Waterproof A10?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Waterproof A10?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItsGettingDark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Waterproof A10? Reply with quote

Had the A10 for 5 months, everything has been fine. Mainly mountain treks (wet & dry conditions). Took it out recently in fowl very very wet conditions. Switched the unit off after the decent. Got the unit home and switched on - the unit flickered. I then noticed water ingress around the screen. Took the cover off and noticed water ingress beneath the actual display screen. The unit was now dead. There was still considerable wetness under the main screen after 24hr. Took it back to the retailer who sent it away to their distributor. By the time they had received it it was bone dry and back to normal. They sent it to SatMap for further testing - Surprisingly SatMap could find no water damage. However, they did replace the case seals after cracking the unit open.

SatMap advertise the unit as waterproof but they do not publish independent test results to substantiate this claim, eg the Colorado is rated waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7 meaning it can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. SatMaps statement is meaningless - checkout this thread for more debate.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=312642&highlight=&sid=4197337dba3107832ccbb6e17a1052ab

I have now started using the small PDA case from Auapac. It's great for hiking/hanging off a lanyard. Not only does it make the A10 100% waterproof it also protects the screen from scratches and makes the whole unit buoyant! By the way the A10 will sink if you happen to drop it in a tarn. The cover is made from clear durable plastic that is supple enough to allow joystick and button movement. I have other Aquapac covers but the small PDA case size is a perfect fit for the A10. Costs just over £20 but well worth it - you even get a 3 year guarantee. Checkout http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/erol.html#598X1142
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.....................

A bit disconcerting that.

Whilst Aquapac are good they won't work whilst attached to the bike mount.Let's hope the build quality has improved.

Ian
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the matter of water ingress doesnt suprise me.
i had a similar problem -unit dead and mine was residing in my
anorak pocket -but even that got rather wet due to persitent rain throughout the walk and maybe a temperature difference between pocket
and handheld.
Sent back and replaced pronto

To get a unit designed and built that has the features provided using key clicks etc that will be truely waterproof will push the unit price up

BUT i now have an Aquapac sleeve for really wet weather.
better to be safe than sorry

Mind my usage is walking ; I personally cant really fault the unit
just the cost of maps BUT thats down to the grasping nature of OS
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered an Aquapac a suggested above ( only £12.99 delivered from 7-day shop )
http://tinyurl.com/658cry

Got to thinking about a waterproof cover ( yes I realise the A10 shouldn't need it but as someone else said,better safe than the hassle of a warranty claim and there do seem to be one or two reports of water ingress here and there) when on the bike mount.All it would take would be something like a transparent showercap ( like the ones given free in hotels ) to fit over the A10,but a standard showercap is too big.

Has anyone any suggestions ?

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: