Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin launches Satmap-killer?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin launches Satmap-killer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you have ten minutes watch This Video, although it is very pro Garmin in approach. All electronic mapping at 25K scale is costly, at least with Satmap you have the option for self centered maps of specific area is very handy - Mike

Quite a nice video, but for "experts" they don't impress me when it comes to their willingness to accept touch screens on hillwalkers' GPS units. I don't know what kind of British mountaineering they do, but my experience of touchscreens devices used in Torridon and Glencoe is a definite thumbs-down. Apart from the impaired operability of the touch sensors when the screen is covered in droplets of water, I personally find that touching the screen all day ends up smearing sweat, suncream and, if you ever do the kind of walking that requires you to take your hands out of your pockets, mud and grit all over the display to the point where it partially obscures the detail on those expensive OS maps. Not good.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Oregon v Leatherhead Reply with quote

First let me fly my colours.
I have had a satmap since day1, as I liked the product ,and the saleslady.
They are a small company, who know their niche. I can call garmin, say I want 500-5000 units with custom maps/firmware and they just get on with it, satmap would feel obliged to try and schmooze me, and not have a clue how to deliver this sort of product, so I wouldn't even ask them.

I still use a garmin etrex as a backup.

I think in time garmin will kill the satmap, as they won't be able to compete in the current market, which would be shame. I like the quirky britishness about it.

You can generally use garmin maps across a whole number of devices.
They actually update their maps
They listen to what their customers want
Their support out of warranty is legendary, they've given me a new etrex when my old one stopped working 2 years out of warranty.
I don't need to know dutch in order to call their pre-sales ;)

I'm still waiting for my oregon to review Sad

Mr.G

toys
Tomtom on
PNA,HTC,Palm,Symbian,I-phone
Satmap Active 10
Garmin Etrex
Trimble DS9000
Siemens A400
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I still use my Satmap on an almost daily basis and it's proved very reliable since the last update some months back. I do think the battery pack ought to be included but aside from that it just works, the screen is the perfect size and it fits in the hand nicely.

As for map pricing, comparing the cost of one map against a county map is hardly a fair comparison and at the end of the day OS set the map pricing and anyone using OS mapping will be paying a similar price, Garmin inc. Expect no favours from OS for Garmin and rightly so.

I guess the reliability issue is one where we all have our view based purely on our own experiences (See comments here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAjuCFvU6g) and people who have had problems are more likely to post on a forum than those who didn't... Makes it difficult to judge though from my perspective as a buyer who hasn't had one in his hands.

One thing someone could answer for me is the warranty length. This isn't mentioned anywhere I can see on the website? Thanks.

I'm finding it hard to work out the best fit of maps for me as the "View the area covered by this map." function doesn't work on the SatMap website - that really needs to be fixed.

The on-line route planning aspect could be the thing that swings it for me if, as you say, Garmin OS maps are at the same high prices. If I can plan routes at 1:25k on-line and download them to the SatMap to show that route on the 1:50k maps that are much more affordable. Then the money saved on not having to buy mapping software could make it more palatable .
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warranty is 2 years.
I have now owned mine for just over 3 weeks (Version 1.200), and have used it just about every day.
It has been completely reliable, and has never locked up during that time.
I have the rechargable battery, and it lasts for ages - certainly for well over a days walking (if the battery life controls are used well).
To say I am delighted would be an understatement.
I also am really looking forward to the on-line planning - although it isn't that tricky on the unit.
I would also like the protective screen to sit on a seal, as water gets under it, and trapped, meaning you have to remove the cover and dry it and the screen thoroughly. It doesn't affect the useability of the unit - just the aesthetics.

HTH
Roger
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Barny_100 ( next but one post up ),the feature on the SatMap site which shows the extent of the mapping has always worked for me.I have used it quite a few times without problems.

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops sorry Barny,no it isn't working at the minute,just tried to use it.

Ian
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
Whoops sorry Barny,no it isn't working at the minute,just tried to use it.

Ian

Same here

Clicking on My Account to login throws up an error about site certificates and is an IPAddress not a domain name :s

The IP address seems to point to BE Unlimited home address - but the SatMap page seems hosted on rackspace.com :s

With these problems I wouldn't be buying anyhting from the website atm
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contacted Satmap about website issues - they replied saying it is all fixed (and a quick check shows it looks fixed)
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed Wiggle now have the Discoverer in stock for £317 including full 1:50k national parks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: