Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N95 8GB: Which firmware updates work well?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N95 8GB: Which firmware updates work well?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laimtoh5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Nokia N95 8GB: Which firmware updates work well? Reply with quote

I'm using TT6, and want to update the firmware, but only if someone can advise which one definitely works well on the N95 8GB. Smile
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had mine since December last year when it arrived with verision 10 I think. Which became 13, 15, 20 and now 30.

Using an external Bluetooth GPS, they have all supported TTN6.

One difference to my phone compared to most is that it does not have any of the UK phone companies abusing the base Symbian Software for their own merits. My phone came unlocked and now I am free to change my firmware when Nokia release it, not when Orange or T-mobile or any other network decides they want to test it, change it and corrupt the hard work Nokia have already done!
laimtoh5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon. Good to hear they're all supported.

Are there any improvements or problems elsewhere with any of the updates you've had on the N95 8GB?

Mine's o2 but not locked (acutally use it with T mobile atm); am I forced to use an o2 firmware update or is it safe to use the Nokia one? I wouldn't mind doing that if safe, for the reasons you said.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly Off Topic for a GPS website, but here goes.

Each Nokia phone has a unique product id. This product id is also unique to each of the air time providers. Whenever you do a firmware update, or look for one, Nokia Suite checks which product id you have on the phone and then checks to see which version of the sofwtare is available for that specific product id and if you are behind, it will allow you to update. If you are, for say on an Orange N95 8GB, then you are likely to be waiting longer than say an unbrandd phone as Orange will then tweak the code for thier own falvour, which is usually why Orange a later to market with their phones than say T-Mobile, who tend to mess about with them less.

So - if you need to remove the "branding" from the phone. There is an excellent web page http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007/05/nokia-n95-debranding-guide.html that explains it further. You will need to find the right code for a Nokia N95-8GB, sometimes called N95-2.

Of course, if you do this, you may invalidate yor warranty and do not hold me responsible if you brick your phone.

Improvements. There are a few in V30.

They have turned on the accelorometer (sic) and this allows you to rotate the screen from portrait to landscape. TTN6 does not like this one bit! Nokia Maps is better if you are on a wireless connection or unlimited data package like t-mobile's web-n-walk. The lack of POI and flaky routing put me off on version 1. Version 2 routing is untested by me as I do not want to "buy" my routing. They have added internet stuff liek flikr, which is a waste of time. It is quicker, battery life is slightly better, but do the usual and turn off BT and wireless when not needed and you now get about 2 1/2 days on a full charge, instead of two. Also, it was already a stable phone and things seem to have got better.

One final piece of advice before updating. Make sure you have backed everything up. If you had the spider man phone, then make sure you secure the digital rights codes otherwise the film will not work afterwards. It is best that you re-install all the software, although I tend to restore my memory backup and what ever does not work, I then re-install.

Good Luck

Regards
laimtoh5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the detailled reply Simon.

I guess the only thing I'd like to see improved on my phone is a faster TT6 map display; it's noticeably slower than TT6 on my n73 and I remember there being a bluetooth improvement with a firmware update on that phone.

Bluetooth drops out sometimes, and if the vehicle speed is over about 30mph you get map lag, which is quite bad. Occasionally, my BT headset drops loses connection yet it is still all switched on.

Did you notice any improvement with this on later firmware revisions Simon?
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT has never been a problem for me on this phone to be honest, although I have found it faster to "connect".

As to TTN6. There is no speed increase and the map will pause during speech/instructions. However, a second delay for a mapping software is not going to make a difference if you are travelling at 70 miles an hour and you have had a warning about a junciton 1/2 mile previously.

Saying all that the N95 means I no longer travel with a digital camera, except when I am on holiday, iPod, except when I am on holiday, PDA for Sat Nav, email, addresses and appointments.

Best phone I have ever had, shame you cannot wear them as sunglasses!
laimtoh5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an excellent smartphone, I agree. Much better than the already good n73 I had before; I love the slide out media pad and the landscape view so you can sneak an easy look at what's playing.

What GPS receiver do you use with the N95 Simon? Maybe my Holux is faulty; it doesn't display charging status correctly and I guess the BT could be a bit goosed.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 3 1/2 year old Globalsat BT338. I have changed the battery once. Very sensitive and more importantly very fast. Better than the N95 GPS.

You can (if you look hard enough in google) get a piece of software that mimics a Bluetooth Device for TomTom to detect, which uses the Serial GPS device on the phone. It is called GPSd. There are draw backs if you want to use it. You need to GPSd running while using TTN6. You will need to select the device everytime you want to run TTN6 and you will need to install a "cracked" version of TTN6 exe. This may not worry you as you own a legit copy of the software and maps.

The advantage is not having a BT GPS in the car or when you go out for the night and trying to find a pub!
laimtoh5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
I use a 3 1/2 year old Globalsat BT338. I have changed the battery once. Very sensitive and more importantly very fast. Better than the N95 GPS.

Is the BT338 likely to be faster than the Holux GPSlim236, which uses the same SiRF Star III chipset, or is there another advantage te BT338 has over it?

Just wondering whether I'll be wasting my money on a new GPS receiver.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: