Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 7.900 software for 910 - RESULT!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

7.900 software for 910 - RESULT!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Finally a result Reply with quote

After complaining to TomTom for the last 12 months, carrying out the same re-installs as requested by TomTom, they have finally given in.

The end came after threatening legal action due to the RDS/TMC operations being nothing more than useless, TomTom have agreed to supply a new (prob refurbished) 920T.

So at long last I'll have a device which can operate as intended with the RDS/TMC traffic. TomTom have asked for the 910 to be returned so they can look into the matter further.
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Has anyone used TMC with 7.9 yet? There's me thinking they might have fixed it with this version, but now i can't get anything at all!!! Just the rotating orange disc. i suppose it might be coincidence Crying or Very sad

I have got this problem too. No RDS-TMC at all. Just the spinining orange disc and, looking at the traffic info screen, it's apparent that it's searching in vain as it scrolls through the frequencies. (I should add that I too had no problem getting a TMC signal before the recent upgrade)

Anyone come up with a way to fix this yet? Has anyone logged it with Tom Tom and had a (sensible) response? Will Tom Tom ever get this right?! Evil or Very Mad

I've noticed, too, that the unit (Go 710) finds it much harder to get the signals from the satelites. I have an athermic windscreen so have been using an external antenna but, even eith this, if the GPS quick-fix isn't bang up-to-date, the unit just won't find a satelite at all unless I hold it out of the window first so it can get a lock before bringing it inside the car! Twisted Evil
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have just updated to 7.9 on my 910. Emjaiuk is not alone with his number(9180/040301). I havent tried my TDC with it yet but will get back to you on it
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've logged the RDS-TMC problem with Tom Tom. So far they have asked me for all my system information - which I have supplied. Now I've had instructions to do a factory reset - that hasn't worked - and now I have had to download a file called "clear flash" and run that against the tomtom. I'm just about to try that so we'll see!
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, So I installed Clear Flash like they told me and, as I was warned, afterwards it said my map was not activated. So I went as instructed to www.ttcode.com where I entered the product number and device number of my Tom Tom whereupon an activation code was generated. Entered the activation code into the GO 710 and..... a message came up saying "sorry this is the wrong code" or something like that. Tried again - same thing. I now have a GO 710 that doesn't work at all.

Have reported back to Tom Tom and will no doubt have to wait a couple of days for a response. Evil or Very Mad
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the unfortunate decision yesterday evening to update my TT 910 to Navcore v7.900 Confused

Now my TMC is completely Shocked

It was working perfectly before I updated Evil or Very Mad

After searching the internet it seems that this is a common problem with TT x10 units after applying the v7.900 Navcore update.

Currently there is no fix for the issue (I tried all TomTom's suggestions), so until TomTom pull their finger out and fix the bugs; dont upgrade Exclamation
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed the tmc problem on my GO510 Jumping With Joy

Before the update to 7.900 there was a file in the root of the device called mctx.dat. After the update to 7.900 this file had gone.

Tomtom have very quietly released another version of the update for the GO510 & GO710. This release, which is still called version 7.900, includes the mctx.dat file but the contents of the file have changed.

RDS-TMC does not work (for me) if the file is missing or with the new version of the file! Well done again tomtom, another triumph. Confused

Restoring the mctx.dat file from a backup prior to the 7.900 upgrade makes rds-tmc work again. Very Happy

For those without a backup, the old version of mxtc.dat was simply a text file containing "22220" (without the quotes).

As always, take a backup before fiddling. Very Happy
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pcaouolte,

After I posted my TMC problems, I found info on the net about TomTom missing mctx.dat and other files from their earlier v7.900 release (clever TomTom) Shocked

They also said that the mctx.dat file was required for the TMC to function.

I checked my 910 and it was there, so I had a look at the files contents.

mctx.dat after update:
TX01CVε .PQ'ξVN$dydGz~z

I then checked my backup of mctx.dat prior to upgrading to v7.900

mctx.dat file prior to upgrade:

Humm.. something didn't look right, so I replaced the new mctx.dat file with my backed up copy.

Also locate (in the root of your TomTom) the folder "gns" and delete the file gnsdata.

The gnsdata file will automatically be recreated when your TomTom is next connected to your TMC reciever.

BINGO! TMC is now back up and running Very Happy

As pcaouolte said, always backup your TomTom before tinkering about with it Cool
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the very helpful information posted by you good folks above, I have now solved the problem on my GO 710. Restored from backup -so got around the problem of the validation code for the map and then carried out the mod to the mctx.dat file and deleted gnsdata.

Now have fully functional, so far as I can tell, GO 710 with RDS-TMC.

the only thing I don't know, yet, is whether the bug that gives all delays as "1 minute" has been fixed. Guess I'll find that out when I get some delay information!

Thanks again folks.

Now, why the hell don't TomTom seem to know about this simplee fix and, more to the point, why have they not corrected their download yet??!! Razz
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said I would , I tried my TMC last night and today.. (910 + version 7.9) did the mctx.dat switch (courtesy of Delorean).Worked perfectly, locked on within 10 seconds and stayed there on my 8 mile journey. lost the favourites, like the others but no major hassle.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum never ceases to amaze me. Following the suggestions above, my 910 is now receiving data again. Thank goodness I was putting off rolling back to the previous v7 as TT sugested. You would have thought TT themselves would be capable of coming up with that soloution!

Whilst on the TMC topic, has any x10 user managed to get sensible traffic info yet? By sensible I mean delay times that are anywhere nearly realistic. last night going down to Swindon on the M4 it was telling me the delay through the contraflow was 2+ hours!!!!!

Malcolm
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed my TT 910 TMC problem a few days ago Very Happy

Here's how to do it:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=439657#439657

Enjoy Very Happy
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
Here's how to do it:

Thanks for letting us know how you discovered the solution. Wink
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:

Here's how to do it:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=439657#439657

Enjoy Very Happy

Oops!

I meant to post this comment on another thread, that why it points back to this page Very Happy

Oh what a silly billy I am Embarassed
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having got myTMC traffic working again, I can now report that the problem with delays all appearing on the side bar as "1 minute" is unresolved.

The "correct" information is shown when I look at the screen specific to an individual delay (though usually wildly inaccurate).

Curiously, some roadworks close to me which were shown in the correct place for the last few weeks have, since the upgrade to 7.900, appeared on an adjoining road instead. I have not yet ascertained whether the data being transmitted has coincidentally changed at the same time as I did the upgrade or whether the error that has now appeared is down to the upgrade. I'll be speaking to a friend this evening with a GO 710, same as me, and will enquire what information he's getting.

Curiously, when he upgraded to 7.900 a few days before me, he had no problem at all with his TMC. The only difference between his GO and mine is that he has just upgraded his map. I wonder, is it possible that the mctx.dat file that so many of us have had trouble with actually works with the latest version of the maps? Maybe it even fixes the "1 minute delay" bug. Has anyone any thoughts on this? Am I just spitting in the wind or is that possible? I'm considering upgrading my map and the answer to this question might infuence my decision!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: