Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am wondering if there are some things that one could get rid of that would free up more RAM and if that would help ??? I have about 14 mb free ram now out of the 64mb it comes with on the 920

14Mb left from 64Mb should in my opinion cause the device to work OK garcor, so I think the general theory on this forum, that the Loquendo file for the X20 devices supplied with Nav.8.3 is probably the culprit... I still believe that the X20/30/40 devices are working on the limit of available RAM... and I cannot for the life of me undersand why Tom Tom have not increased the RAM on the X30 and particularly the X40 devices to at least 128Mb... they seem to be depending on software updates to justify new models, rather than new hardware.........

I am sure that they will make available, a new Navcore update to alleviate thes stuttering map and voice problems within the next few weeks... and in the meantime, users may be advised to revert to the 8.01 Navcore and 8.10 maps... but this means of course that folks who have paid for the quarterly upgrade have "unusable" maps that they have paid for... I think that Tom Tom should give these customers an extra quarterr to compensate for the "not fit for purpose" state of the current 8.3 map for X20 devices, which is of course, the "latest map available" for those devices at present.

Alan.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Go back in to the Change Preferences settings and make sure the POI files you don't need showing on the map are actually turned off, there have been reports of this update enabling them all again thus slowing the device down - Mike

Yes, loading 8.3 did 'enable' every 3rd party POI, but not the built in ones.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if people have got a large number of POI files installed to their device and the software update has stupidly switched them all on, this will be causing some of the slow down related issues - Mike
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Where Is The IQ in these maps? Reply with quote

I had to drive to Keston, Kent last night from Newhaven, East Sussex.
With my trusty TT520 on the dash with latest software and maps off I went...

The unit is set for fastest routes, no unpaved roads and IQ routes on.

Headed onto the A26, A22, A27, A23, M23, M25 to exit for A22 to Caterham.
Then on A22 towards caterham and the Caterham Bypass.

Then it got odd and took me down stupid narrow lanes for the remainder of the trip.

It said the 5th exit Woldingham Road and from that point on it was all narrow, sometime 1 car wide only lanes unit I finally came out in Heathfield Road, Keston which is where I was going.

It did take the time it estimated and journey was 65 miles.

I refused to use it for the trip home. The crap routing and the stutters, announcements late all put me off the TT experience.

I got my Road Angel 9000 out of the boot, stuck in on the dash, waited for it to boot from cold and it took me home on a route which was 44 miles long but did take 5 minutes longer.

By now cant these gadgets realise that driving down single track roads is not a good ideal and worse of course in the dark.

I never knew there were so many narrow roads that close to London Smile

HummerUK
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where Is The IQ in these maps? Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
I got my Road Angel 9000 out of the boot, stuck in on the dash, waited for it to boot from cold and it took me home on a route which was 44 miles long but did take 5 minutes longer.

By now cant these gadgets realise that driving down single track roads is not a good ideal and worse of course in the dark.

But it did what you asked it to do. It gave you the fastest route. Confused

You don't want to drive down narrow lanes, but I prefer them, and at night it avoids the problem of constant oncoming headlights, which I find more troublesome the older I get. So how is a satnav supposed to get it right for both of us?

Surely the solution is to check the route on the device before setting off and, if it doesn't suit you, select an alternative.
Samsung Galaxy S21
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Where Is The IQ in these maps? Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
HummerUK wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

But it did what you asked it to do. It gave you the fastest route. Confused

You don't want to drive down narrow lanes, but I prefer them, and at night it avoids the problem of constant oncoming headlights, which I find more troublesome the older I get. So how is a satnav supposed to get it right for both of us?

Surely the solution is to check the route on the device before setting off and, if it doesn't suit you, select an alternative.

It may have been the fastest but what about passenger safety?

Also does the IQ routing think you can drive down these narrow lanes at 60mph?

I did check the route it planned earlier in the week and I think "IQ" had now selected a different route for a Saturday night rather than a weekday during daylight hours...

I had no time to re go over the route it had planned the Saturday night...

Also I think it could have an option to suit all.

Under options "Avoid Single Track Roads Where Possible"

HummerUK
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where Is The IQ in these maps? Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:
It may have been the fastest but what about passenger safety?

I use country lanes all the time and, if they're driven in an appropriate manner, passenger safety isn't compromised. In view of the speed, if there were to be a collision the only damage is likely to be to the vehicles.

Quote:

Presumably not, since you say it did take the estimated time, and I'm sure you drove at an appropriate speed.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Where Is The IQ in these maps? Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:
Also I think it could have an option to suit all.

Under options "Avoid Single Track Roads Where Possible"

Sorry, I missed the last part of your post.

Yes, such an option would be useful.
Samsung Galaxy S21
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Q routes Reply with quote

Quote:
I use country lanes all the time and, if they're driven in an appropriate manner, passenger safety isn't compromised. In view of the speed, if there were to be a collision the only damage is likely to be to the vehicles.

I think it is a known fact that rural roads are more dangerous than the larger thoroughfares in this country.

I live in a rural area and the amount of flowers you see stuck to trees or other such areas by the side of the road is sometimes quite disturbing.

"an appropriate manner" can be used for all types of driving.

Quote:
Quote:

The problem may be that there was not enough info. for the IQ routes to work and therefore it did think you can go down those roads at 60 miles an hour.

What if you try a "Calculate Route" in that area, now with the new IQ routes it seems to pick the correct speed for the demo route, not just the maximum speed allowed on that road, and see what it comes up with

Cheers

Carl
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Q routes Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
I live in a rural area and the amount of flowers you see stuck to trees or other such areas by the side of the road is sometimes quite disturbing.

I must live in a very different sort of rural area from you, or maybe the people who live here drive more sensibly.

I also see plenty of flowers by the roadside, but they're on the A roads, not the narrow country lanes. I've lived in this area for 40 years, and I've yet to hear of an accident on the lanes causing serious injury, let alone fatality, but there have been plenty of deaths on the A roads.
Samsung Galaxy S21
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like playing the built in game to beat the ETA.

I always win. Very Happy
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

I always win. Very Happy

Snap Very Happy
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
technik wrote:

I always win. Very Happy

Snap Very Happy
I always lose (because I'm not pushing the envelope, I'm saving the cost of fuel and what the heck is five minutes going to benefit me - at my age I need a guaranteed 50 years, not 5 minutes). A friend in the whitevanman business told me the other day that he'd gone to meet somebody to transfer a load at a motorway junction and he'd pushed it at 80 to save keeping the guy waiting. On the return journey he'd slowed below 60 and was amazed to discover that he took less than five minutes longer, but gratified to find he'd averaged a good 15 miles per gallon better fuel consumption. For a delivery 100 miles away, I generally add 10 to 15 minutes to the ETA for the delivery promise and never let anybody down.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I do think that some of the IQ routes information is just not good. One route I frequently do is far quicker on the dual carriageway (A1061 London Colney bypass and A414) that is very slightly longer in distance than the IQ route that takes me through a housing estate (London Colney) and a narrow country lane (White Horse Lane 51.73088 -0.28942) where the roads are narrow and have choke points where a parked car means only one car can pass at a time.

A stick to major roads option would be good. Also I assume that if I had an HGV it would still try and route me through the housing estates?
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the new Tele Atlas maps, in regards to areas that were helped my MapShare/Map Insight/Google Maps Edits? Has anyone seen areas that they submitted frequent corrections to be improved? Were the corrections supposed to come as soon as this map update? I'm excited to see what impact the inflow of information will have when it starts happening.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: