Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route name size limit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route name size limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Route name size limit Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing this one mentioned but does anyone have an idea as to the maximum number of characters the device can accept for a route name?

The SatSync application will accept anything and confirms the route has been transfered to the SD card, viewing the contents of the SD card and all 40+ Routes I have translated show up.

With the SD card inserted the device locks up just after the notification that an SD card has been detected.

Removal of the Routes with the longer file names cures this issue and lets the device boot and it can see/ use all the routes that I left on the SD card

I am just wondering if anyone has hit this issue before when using GPX files via the SatSync application, the program can read the data and indeed convert it but the device refuses to boot - if there are no answers I will try the number guessing game to work out what the limit actually is I know 21 characters work so I could always shorten the file names but bulk file conversion is what I am doing so I need this limit to be correct before starting on the entire file set - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a 25 character name to work but it did seem to do something odd which I have not managed to duplicate. This is why I haven't mentioned this before.

The original file name on the PC was
Gwehelog&Trostrey Commons.gpx

I used SatSync to copy this across and to my surprise the following name appeared
GwehelogTrostrey Commons.map (but with an underscore under the capital T).

Now the really odd thing is the name appeared when I rebooted the A10. Not the normal blank or "name" but the actual name given above. At first I thought I had just forgotten typing it back in but then I realised that I had no idea how to create a T with an underscore. So it must have been automatic. Although I have tried with many long names, with gaps and odd characters since I cannot get it to do the same again.

I have never tried reimporting the gpx file to the A10 to see if it works a second time. I thought I would wait for the next version of the software which should sort things out properly.
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Any chance you could e-mail me the rogue file to try out, use the e-mail button lower down on this post as its a live one, I have got this coordinate application working but I am still interested in trying to push the issues I have found a little further - Mike
djhpk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Route Name Size Limit Reply with quote

The name of a gpx file on your PC has nothing to do with the route (or POI group) name that appears on the Active 10 after importing.

The actual route name is embedded in the gpx file and can be totally different to the PC file name and this is what the A10 picks up on import.

If the name attributes are not present in the gpx file, the name on the A10 after import will be blank.

Having said this, I have no idea what the maximum length of name (either PC file name or route / POI group name) that the A10 can handle is.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it is the Route name contained within the gpx file that I am interested in seeing what can be accepted, for now I have simply shortened this to 21 characters and it is working fine - Mike
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Indeed it is the Route name contained within the gpx file that I am interested in seeing what can be accepted, for now I have simply shortened this to 21 characters and it is working fine - Mike

The Topografix gpx standard at

http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd

specifies that element “name” will be type "xsd:string".

At Garmin site
http://developer.garmin.com/schemas/gpx/1.1/oxygen/index.html_h620189328.html

they refer to xsd:string

albeit in use as a waypoint name.
'GPX does not place restrictions on the length of this field or the characters contained in it. It is up to the receiving application to validate the field before sending it to the GPS.'
This would imply that if the gpx file implements the standard the name can be any length and if not you should have an error message. If the standard hasn't been followed, and given the track record so far it hasn't, then you'll have to speak to Satmap.

No real help I suppose but if you do contact them, please let us all know their standard.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
'GPX does not place restrictions on the length of this field or the characters contained in it. It is up to the receiving application to validate the field before sending it to the GPS.'
This would imply that if the gpx file implements the standard the name can be any length and if not you should have an error message. If the standard hasn't been followed, and given the track record so far it hasn't, then you'll have to speak to Satmap.

This restriction is down to the active10, but it depends upon the exact format of GPX file used, for example the file "LostMike" e-mailed me was truncated correctly and didn't cause a lock up of the device while reading the SD card contents. The files I have been producing did cause lock ups which I addressed on Saturday by shortening the Route name sting length.

I guess any information in translating from / to the device file format via other applications or even home brew software will assist others, it shouldn't be rocket science to work out, just a few stumbling blocks along the way! - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a look on what is on my A10's internal memory I have:

'reading hook winchester stonehenge westbury.map'

and the longest name on the sd card is:

'Penzance to St Ives Truro Indian Q.map'

and both worked fine out on the road.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, are these the file names displayed on the active10 device or when you view the device from the PC? this can make quite a difference, if you have got 30+ characters displayed as a route name on the active10 I would be most surprised - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are using the Satsync window to view what is on the unit and internal memory those are the file names as they appear.

I'm just turning the unit on now and the longest route name that appears on the A10 screen when selecting Main Menu (ie listing the active route) is : 'Abergavenny Brecon Cardiff Chepstow' or ''reading hook winchester stonehenge'

Is that what you mean?

I plotted my route on Memory Map, right clicked on the line and selected Properties and then in the name box typed 'reading hook winchester stonehenge westbury' so that that name appears when you hover the cursor over the route on Memory Map, then selected Save As and pasted the same name 'reading hook winchester stonehenge westbury' and saved it as a GPX file, used Sat Sync to import the route to the internal memory of the A10 so in the SS window it appears as 'reading hook winchester stonehenge westbury.map' and it appears on the A10 and I followed the route on my bike back in September....without any booting probs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: