Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a day on the road today and noticed two things:

1. handsfree on my 720 worked perfectly all day (several calls both incoming and outgoing - probably too small a smaple to be sure but certainly behaving better than yesterday when it crashed on about 5 out of 10 calls

2. When i come to an halt in traffic it sometimes spontaneously tells me what my estimated arrival time will be and tha there are no faster alternative routes - all without me touching a thing - did this at least three times as i came to an halt in traffic jams on the M25 today.

DinAlt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The legislation, what little I can discern so far anyway, seems to prohibit intermittent short duration transmissions such as voice etc. Music is constant.

Probably more a European law rather than UK specific so this could be over and above the OFCOM regs, I would closer at the idiots who legislated we had to have bananas that were straight a number of years ago for the root cause Wink - Mike
esim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to get a full set of release notes for the new software. The two lines from Tomtom seem a bit short!

TT 720, TT One v3
HTC One V, Asus TF101, Garmin eTrex
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esim wrote:
Would it be possible to get a full set of release notes for the new software. The two lines from Tomtom seem a bit short!

That's all they have provided and are admitting to both in the press release and on their web-site.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The legislation, what little I can discern so far anyway, seems to prohibit intermittent short duration transmissions such as voice etc. Music is constant.

Why this is not permitted I haven't yet discovered nor why TomTom can't just transmit constantly even if the transmission is just the silence between voice prompts. This may be a power/battery issue but I'm just guessing.

I am not a lawyer and although I have trawled OFCOM's web site I can't find the relevent section.

Could it be that Tomtom have applied the concept of "dead air" as it applies to radio transmissions.

In the UK, any radio station which transmits dead air for more than ten minutes without rectifying the situation, broadcasting an announcement, or otherwise warning its listeners, can be penalised and may be fined up to £25,000 per minute by the independent regulator and competition authority for UK communications industries.

Taking the point to the extreme?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AAArrrrgggghhhh Reply with quote

esim wrote:
I'm getting a bit fed up with tomtom's "upgrades" as they seem to remove functionality every time.

Same here, but not merely a bit fed up, a lot! I loved my GO700 and it's all gone down hill ever since. Every new model, every new application, we seem to suffer yet another bit of stripping down to give space for yet another dodgy PR exercise function which doesn't perform like you'd expect. Meanwhile the bugs in the existing devices are not only often denied by TT, but always are never fixed. How much more stripping can the devices stand up to, before they finally seize up? How soon shall we see somebody take TT before some court or other over fit for purpose and advertising standards - it really seems no longer "if", more like "when".

alanji wrote:
Just corrected a speed from 60 to 40 and it shows: 40
Great!. I corrected one to 40 and it showed 40. Before you say it works on yours, try altering one to 30. I only do it to the road outside my house so it has minimal effect and tell it not to share it with others. I know somebody else with the same problem with 30mph and another somebody else who doesn't have it. We all three have different v815 maps - UK&ROI, Western Europe and Western & Central Europe. It seems TT get it right on one of these, wrong on the other two.

Because I suffered slow, jerky screen refresh/update during my very brief drive this afternoon, I came home and re-started both application and map downloads to check if I'd got a poor installation. Tomorrow will tell, but I have to say I'm not hopeful - fortunately, of course, I have so many backups that I shall quite easily and quickly be able to revert to a pre-"improved" device and map. I pity the poor souls who come to the x40 devices as SatNav virgins, knowing nothing better and wondering why it isn't as good as they expected.

I used to recommend TT devices to anyone who asked, but I wouldn't do that nowadays in order to protect myself from action!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changes that I have noticed are:

1) The compass pointer has been filled in and given a background shadow, almost looks OK now!

2) When I choose "Clear route", I no longer have a voice saying "Route cleared"

I quite like the pointy bit on the bottom of the icons, it suggests that they are in a very accurate location. Maybe getting ready for the day when POI's are accurate to within a couple of yards. Cool

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
2) When I choose "Clear route", I no longer have a voice saying "Route cleared"
Second page of Speech Preferences - "Read aloud warnings" should be ticked (with a computer voice selected). I found that the new application reset an awful lot of my settings, regardless of copying Mapsettings.cfg across.

Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
"Read aloud warnings" should be ticked (with a computer voice selected). I found that the new application reset an awful lot of my settings, regardless of copying Mapsettings.cfg across.

Well spotted Dennis! I was extra careful in moving the Mapsettings.cfg file.

I don't know if it is me, or not, but the screen seems brighter and the volume seems louder.......?

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: AAArrrrgggghhhh Reply with quote

esim wrote:
I'm getting a bit fed up with tomtom's "upgrades" as they seem to remove functionality every time.

I totally agree. I cannot understand the logic (or the customer relations) of TomTom in removing functionality and failing to bother to highlight/explain the change.

Like others, I have used TomTom in various shapes or forms for a few years now and have always been a protagonist, and I have welcomed a lot of the development; but I am fast losing my loyalty to a brand which without warning removes functions I opted for and paid for and needed in the first place (i.e., FM directon transmission) - all for the sake of squeezing in a few more bells and whistles.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: AAArrrrgggghhhh Reply with quote

lamplight wrote:

I am fast losing my loyalty to a brand which without warning removes functions I opted for and paid for and needed in the first place (i.e., FM directon transmission) - all for the sake of squeezing in a few more bells and whistles.

That's not the reason in this case.
There is a ruling that transmissions in the broadcast FM band must be continuous not intermittent. Rightly or wrongly, TomTom have interpreted this to mean they cannot send occasional navigation messages over FM, but music is OK.

Where TomTom have failed yet again, is completely failing to TELL people why they have done th things they have done.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
I don't know if it is me, or not, but the screen seems brighter and the volume seems louder.......?

Don't sit so close to it! Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I upgraded last night with no problems. I read all the posts and decided that the things that were missing I didn't use any way the main thing is the support for large SDHC cards which works great and that is the only reason I upgraded.

I must say though at the weekend I did 785 miles from Lincoln to Pontypool, Pontypool to Plymouth, Plymouth to Portsmouth and finally Portsmouth back to Lincoln all the driving bits in between navigating to POI's, addresses using traffic, playing music. I even did some navigating using walking routes. My 520 worked fantasticly the hole time. I was really impressed.

So I hope by doing the update just for the SDHC use has jinxed it.
NA 2GB v8.45
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: AAArrrrgggghhhh Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
TomTom have interpreted this to mean they cannot send occasional navigation messages over FM, but music is OK.

Well what about the thousands of x10s, x20s and x30s out there which are doing it (together with the other brands which got on the FM bandwagon)? And where are the hysterical Guardian and Daily Mail articles about "SatNav brings down passing Jumbo jet" and the Sun relating how the minions of Osama Bin Laden are buying up all the FM transmitting SatNavs to do us all a deadly ill?

I'm sorry, but this sounds like some cockamamey excuse to strip out another bit to make space for a fantasy bell or whistle. The power of the FM transmitter in my SatNav needs to be only sufficient to get to my tranny which isn't even as far away as the other side of the road - the local kids on buzz bikes cause more actual interference than my SatNav can ever aspire to.

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lost voice when you have operated the device through HOME hasn't been fixed properly. It no longer says the voice selected can't be used but I use recorded voice Tim for navigation & computer voice Kate for warnings. When I disconnected after operating through HOME, Kate was selected for everything and I still had to go through the procedure of selecting them again.

The volume is definately louder, I can now use it at 70% like i did on version 7. On v8.01 I had to go up to 80% or 85%.

I thought I had read a post that there was a better compass in that you could show N,S,E, or W directions, but I can't find that option. I just have the same pathetic thing that came with v8.010.

Generally though, it's an improvement but why, when they try to fix a bug, don't the developers test it to see if it works properly before realeasing it?????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: