Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702, I sent you a PM earlier in case you missed it?
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Darren Reply with quote

Darren I kept the same account as I spent money on the map upgrade service on my 720 on the 6th Oct, i wanted it transfered to my 940 ie have this as my sole drvice n the original account
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Darren Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
Darren I kept the same account as I spent money on the map upgrade service on my 720 on the 6th Oct, i wanted it transfered to my 940 ie have this as my sole drvice n the original account

So had you changed devices already within the last six months?
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick comment:-

The light level sensor needs to be re-calibrated (probably as an option from the preferences). Driving to work this morning, in the dull/overcast/drizzly weather, the 540 switched to night mode, when really the outside light level was such that the daytime colour scheme was the correct one to have.

Also, this morning, I noticed that there was a problem getting the traffic info (SIM card was 'connected' and google did work, just no traffic). After navigating through a few things in the 540, including one which asked me to login (had my name/password saved), the traffic started working again.

And another thing, the roadworks on the M1, which only appeard in rush hour, was there when I could finally check this morning, but has now vanished again. I've not been there this morning, but I assume the roadworks are still there.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Another quick comment:-

The light level sensor needs to be re-calibrated (probably as an option from the preferences). Driving to work this morning, in the dull/overcast/drizzly weather, the 540 switched to night mode, when really the outside light level was such that the daytime colour scheme was the correct one to have.

Also, this morning, I noticed that there was a problem getting the traffic info (SIM card was 'connected' and google did work, just no traffic). After navigating through a few things in the 540, including one which asked me to login (had my name/password saved), the traffic started working again.

And another thing, the roadworks on the M1, which only appeard in rush hour, was there when I could finally check this morning, but has now vanished again. I've not been there this morning, but I assume the roadworks are still there.

Perhaps the roadworks only show-up if the speed drop is sufficient to trigger as an alert. If roadworks are not impeding traffic flow, they may not be shown. The M1 works you refer to do slow the speed down to 50mph if I recall, so I would have thought they would always show...but I don't know what thresholds TomTom may have considered.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
The M1 works you refer to do slow the speed down to 50mph if I recall, so I would have thought they would always show...but I don't know what thresholds TomTom may have considered.

Personally I wouldn't consider a traffic flow of 50mph to be of concern?
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
jonstatt wrote:
The M1 works you refer to do slow the speed down to 50mph if I recall, so I would have thought they would always show...but I don't know what thresholds TomTom may have considered.

Yes..I agree Darren. I guess we are in the learning stage of understanding when and what the Traffic HD service will show. I think some readers on here expect it to show every little bit of congestion and every roadwork...and that is not a criticism of them...its just their expectation. In some ways, maybe it suggests the idea/RFE of adjustable traffic criteria which you can choose on your device. (e.g. percentage deviation from expected traffic speed on IQ routes).
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Darren wrote:

Yes..I agree Darren. I guess we are in the learning stage of understanding when and what the Traffic HD service will show. I think some readers on here expect it to show every little bit of congestion and every roadwork

I wasn't complaining/commenting on lack of coverage for every bit of congestion, it is consistency which is the question here (and personally, I consider 6.8 miles of roadworks to be siginificant enough to be told about).

First up is the fact that the roadworks show up in HD only some of the time. (Note that when I drove through it, although it was showing in HD traffic at that time, traffic was freely flowing at the maximum 50, i.e. the best possible performance for this road under the temporary limits - we assume that it was performing the same way when not shown, in which case, why show it some of the time).

Secondly, from looking through yesterday, it would appear that the HD traffic will show other delays of a mere minute. By my calculation this stretch of road takes almost 3 minutes longer to travel while the temporary limit is in force, so by their own standards, I would expect this to be reported.

Finally, although I don't believe it exists, were there an alternate route (e.g. a parallel A road) with no restrictions, then 3 minutes would be shaved off the journey time.

TT are supposed to be promising the best routes which minimise journey time. Now you can call 3 minutes over 6.8 miles picky, and be unconcerned about it yourself, but saving a few minutes here and there is *just* the thing I expect from my rather expensive satnav and monthly subscription. Consider also that if that journey were 68 miles, then the "accurate" arrival times would be off by half an hour** 3 minutes might not be a concern for any short stretch, but this is exactly where I expect my "High Definition" traffic to be just that.

By having this information there *some* of the time, they have shown that they are capable of having it all of the time. I don't understand why this isn't reported all of the time.

** It's not that bad, it's more like 20 min, but there's a bit of rounding in my calculations - my point is it is wrong when it doesn't need to be.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the HD coverage map shown in the videos available anywhere? The TomTom site just shows the whole of the UK covered, and I can't find the one with dark green patches. This is key information for judging the operation of HD in my opinion.
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the speaker who said that we are damaging the environment with technology throw-away because it is outdated has a point! My TT930 is out of date already , so my environment is damaged,although I won't be throwing it away just yet. Would be nice to get a decent Traffic System plugged on though.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadangelboss wrote:
Much like HD traffic the Road Angel cameras on the X40 have been a bit hit and miss during the development/testing phase as we were refining the update processes - all should be well for the production products though.

Hi Graham,

I can assure you they are not! I just got a GO 940 LIVE to replace a combination of an old GO 910 which I used for navigation and a RoadAngel Navigator 6000 which I used alongside it for camera warnings because the TomTom camera database was so awful.

When I heard of your link-up with TomTom to provide the camera data for their new x40 range I though all my dreams had come true, but so far after a couple of updates I have noticed that quite a few camera sites are either missing, not speed limit rated correctly or marked as the wrong type. In fact they are very similar to the TomTom data I abandoned some years ago and definitely nowhere near as accurate as the excellent ones on my trusty RoadAngel.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoadAngel have asked that anyone with specific x40 Premium Safety Camera speed camera issues email them the using the following address:

camera@roadangelgroup.com

Please note this is for issues with the speed camera data only, missing, incomplete or erroneous entries. For all other hardware or support issues please contact TomTom as normal.

For all issues, reports relating to the PocketGPSWorld database please use the normal reporting procedures.
grayyyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM540 Reply with quote

I have just dne a 400+ round trip with my new 540. Live traffic very good. Finding cheap petrol excellent, only issue it told me to turn around as I was approaching the petrol station.

Mount a vast improvement on my Mio 168 and quality seems good.

So far very impressed
Rick_Jones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Speed camera and firmware update came through on mine this morning , anyone know what fixes etc are in this ??
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just found this very interesting thread, which now seems to have gone 'cold'... or have the discussions continued elsewhere?

As I am considering purchasing a GO Live 540 to replace my ONE, I am currently looking for all the info. I can find, so as to (hopefully) ensure that I am making the right choice!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: